Why didn’t Hoster Tully warn Jon about Littlefinger?

Angel Eyes

When Hoster Tully and Jon Arryn we’re bartering for troops and Jon agrees to take Lysa to wife for Hoster’s troops, why didn’t Hoster warn Jon about Littlefinger, who had gotten Lysa pregnant out of wedlock, whose lands were under Jon’s jurisdiction? Placing Lysa so close to Petyr left her vulnerable to his attentions and a prime target for patronage and later manipulation.

In fact, if I were Hoster, I’d be scared of Petyr having someone put a bolt in my head, because he’d surely want to get back at me for betrothing Catelyn to Brandon Stark. For gods’ sake, keep him away from Hoster’s daughters, it’s too much of a risk. Plus, he does like boasting about taking the virginities of both Catelyn and Lysa...

Petyr was 15, and was sent back to his own (father's) lands and keep on the Fingers. He didn't come under Jon Arryn's 'notice' until much later when Lisa convinced John to give Petyr Control of Customs at Gulltown.
Not likely that would have be given to a 15 year old nobody out in the Fingers, so it was likely at least 3-5 years later.

Hoster had no reason to warn Jon about Petyr back then.

5 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

Did Hoster know that Petyr was the father?

Absolutely Hoster knew Petyr was the father.  If you recall, Petyr fought the duel with Brandon, was wounded, and then was nursed back to health at Riverrun before being sent back to the Fingers by Hoster.  Later, at the end of A Storm of Swords, we find out from Lysa that she visited Petyr's bed after the duel with Brandon and "comforted" him.  Then she got pregnant and Hoster made her drink moon tea, tansy, and whatever else they use in the Seven Kingdoms for abortions and then sent Petyr straight back to the Fingers as soon as he was strong enough to travel.  That's why Hoster kept mentioning "tansy" and asking for forgiveness to Cat while he was on his deathbed.  

11 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

When Hoster Tully and Jon Arryn we’re bartering for troops and Jon agrees to take Lysa to wife for Hoster’s troops, why didn’t Hoster warn Jon about Littlefinger, who had gotten Lysa pregnant out of wedlock, whose lands were under Jon’s jurisdiction? Placing Lysa so close to Petyr left her vulnerable to his attentions and a prime target for patronage and later manipulation.

In fact, if I were Hoster, I’d be scared of Petyr having someone put a bolt in my head, because he’d surely want to get back at me for betrothing Catelyn to Brandon Stark. For gods’ sake, keep him away from Hoster’s daughters, it’s too much of a risk. Plus, he does like boasting about taking the virginities of both Catelyn and Lysa...

I think lysa being 'soiled goods' was an open secret hoster insisted jon take her as part of the pact for his support in the rebellion ,jon himself may have known but  not have known exactly who had been having his wife to be! 

Hoster prob wasnt worrried about peter as once sent back to the fingers he was of 0 threat to anyone and never expected to rise so high let alone be close to lysa again

The boasting part prob came much later and never openly said  to jon arryn

12 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

When Hoster Tully and Jon Arryn we’re bartering for troops and Jon agrees to take Lysa to wife for Hoster’s troops, why didn’t Hoster warn Jon about Littlefinger, who had gotten Lysa pregnant out of wedlock, whose lands were under Jon’s jurisdiction?

I imagine that Hoster would have wanted to have kept the details away from most people. Catelyn thinks (we don’t know she’s right), that Jon Arryn may have agreed because he was desperate for an heir, and Hoster could confirm she was fertile. That doesn’t mean the whole sordid business needs to be explained.

Placing Lysa so close to Petyr left her vulnerable to his attentions and a prime target for patronage and later manipulation.

There's no way for Hoster to know that. 15 year old Petyr wasn't the Littlefinger we've all come to know and love. There's no way Hoster could have possibly anticipated LF coming back the way he did. All he knows is that the boy was a little upstart that banged his daughter. You slap the kid and send him back to the family farm, you don't think "maybe one day he'll get really good at finance, and manipulate my daughter into getting the future Hand to appoint him Master of Coin..."

In fact, if I were Hoster, I’d be scared of Petyr having someone put a bolt in my head, because he’d surely want to get back at me for betrothing Catelyn to Brandon Stark.

Again, it's not like Hoster could have anticipated what Petyr would become. The idea that LF was a threat to Hoster or his daughters at that point would have seemed ludicrous.

About what? Littlefinger was just a teenager whose dick had aspirations above his station, back then. 

Besides Littlefinger's father was Hoster's war time buddy which was the reason he took Littlefinger as ward in the first place. Telling Arryn about his son's shenanigans would have caused trouble for him, as well. 

14 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I think it would have made him look weak. "Look out for my daughters ex-boyfriend, he lost a duel and might be out for vengeance!"

LOL

Generally, such a lord in such a situation would be inclined to hush up as much as possible I think. Hoster's daughter, from his perspective, was dishonoured, and he wouldn't be keen on going into any great detail about it. Similarly, while Jon may have been aware of what happened, I doubt he'd be too keen on hearing all about it either. Both are essentially getting what they want from the transaction - Hoster gets to marry a "soiled" daughter off, Jon gets a fertile (as far as he knows) wife from a powerful family, and gets support for the Rebellion. Best to skirt over the unfortunate past and pretend it never happened.

12 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Maybe Hoster did warn him but at the time Jon Arryn cared more about the Crown's finances than his wife's past family drama.

Beat me to it. By the time Hoster would have even know that Petyr had gotten close to the Arryns, his worth as a customs collector would already have been established. And by then, and certainly once Petyr had risen to MoC, Lyso was Jon's problem, not Hoster's.

18 hours ago, acwill07 said:

Absolutely Hoster knew Petyr was the father.  If you recall, Petyr fought the duel with Brandon, was wounded, and then was nursed back to health at Riverrun before being sent back to the Fingers by Hoster.  Later, at the end of A Storm of Swords, we find out from Lysa that she visited Petyr's bed after the duel with Brandon and "comforted" him.  Then she got pregnant and Hoster made her drink moon tea, tansy, and whatever else they use in the Seven Kingdoms for abortions and then sent Petyr straight back to the Fingers as soon as he was strong enough to travel.  That's why Hoster kept mentioning "tansy" and asking for forgiveness to Cat while he was on his deathbed.  

Sure he knew about the pregnancy, and he obviously knew LF loved Cat. But is it stated that he knew that LF was the father of Lysa’s child and not someone else? Did Lysa confess? Did he just figure it out?

12 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

Sure he knew about the pregnancy, and he obviously knew LF loved Cat. But is it stated that he knew that LF was the father of Lysa’s child and not someone else? Did Lysa confess? Did he just figure it out?

If I recall, in Hoster’s fevered ramblings it suggests he knew Littlefinger was the father. He refers to him as a “wretched boy” or something. Not guaranteed, but I think it’s a strong implication that I don’t think we need to doubt.

From what we know of Lysa, my guess would be that she wouldn’t refuse to say who the father is, but instead would beg Hoster to let her marry him.  

Why would Hoster (or Jon Arryn) consider Petyr any kind of threat whatsoever?  He's a 15 year old son of a very minor lord who left Riverrun in shame with serious injuries after failing to defeat a far superior swordsman in a duel.  For gods' sake, this is almost as silly as asking why Petyr didn't defeat Brandon Stark by not letting himself be touched by Brandon's sword.  

22 hours ago, Darion Storm said:

Oh yea, Hoster knew it was Littlefinger, otherwise why send him away?  He definitely didn't get sent away just because of his duel with Brandon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:36 PM, Darion Storm said:

Lysa probably wanted to marry LF, but probably no one told Jon Arryn it's LF's baby Lysa was carrying. She surely didn't have any reason to say who the father is, since she helped LF rise so high.

Imagine if your wife want one man on high position because he's a family friend. Now imagine your wife want guy who banged her close to her. I'm sure Jon would never accept LF in Small council no matter his merits if he knew who Lysa's baby' father was.

Hoster wanted to keep Lysa's indiscretion as quiet as possible.  The less said, the better.  And what would he say to Jon?  My foster boy is dangerous and not to be trusted.  This is a boy who got an ass beating from Brandon.  The son of a poor lord with little property to his name.  Hoster sees Petyr as the pitiful wretch who fell for his precious daughter and got put in his place.  He's not somebody who can threaten a man like Jon Arryn.

Archived