Original draft: Joffrey as father

Kandrax

11 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Originally, Sansa was supposed to birth Joffrey's child. What kind of father he would be? Good? Or 7k would soon needs social service?

I smell a Three Men and a Baby-style situation comedy idea. Joffery as the hapless father, The Hound as the straight man, Tyrion as the comic relief.

13 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Originally, Sansa was supposed to birth Joffrey's child. What kind of father he would be? Good? Or 7k would soon needs social service?

Hey maybe Joff would say "I have to man up and be a father to my child - for one day he will rule!"

But only if it was a boy. I think he would be disinterested in a girl.

Hell he probably wouldn't care at all.

Actually, the high borns didn't necessarily do that much as parents. Babies were immediately handed off to a wet nurse to take care of the feeding, diapering, bathing. (Nobody who was high born ever washed themselves; they had servants to do that for them, babies included.) As the infant aged, various septas, maesters, masters at arms, etc would take their turns "raising" the children. Parents might very well be like rare, but highly honored, guests that the child had to be on his best behavior around.

Were Joffrey to totally ignore his offspring, knowing him, what could have been better? How about Sansa? She'd no doubt be affectionate when the babies were clean, well fed, and not crying. But she'd have the full round of balls, teas, dances, and other crucial affairs of state, so she'd be nothing at all like your 1950s (US) housewife, nor a 21st C helicopter parent. How the children would be raised would be almost totally determined by the quality of the servants.

Re: the Hound. Joffrey wouldn't give him up and would appear jealous if Sandor showed any affection for the children - or vice versa.

17 hours ago, Kandrax said:

A child of those two would be awful.  Very awful.  It will carry the bloodlines of two families that I don't like.  Lannister and Stark. 

Archived