Time comparison (Mostly for the North) Updated.

AlaskanSandman

7 minutes ago, Lady Barbrey said:

Hightowers are a breed apart.  I do agree with you there.  They were the first kings in Westeros, but of pirates and shipwrecked sailors and small communities that arose thereof. (I know this, btw, from the Yi Ti section of WoiaF!)

There is a great deal of difference between journeying on a small boat or a raft to visible or known islands, and understanding seacraft and primitive navigation.  I did a lot of work on Polynesian archeology and their seacraft and the distances they travelled were amazing!

I think it might have been part of the pact, honestly, that there was little trade with Essos.  The Children wanted Westeros isolated from Essos, and who could blame them?  They'd been wiped out there.  And Essos itself seems like a dry, soulless place to me, with its blighted cities, ruins, ghost grass, shrunken seas and slavery.

Well to me one of the most telling scenes is the one at Qaarth when Dany enters the House of the Undying.

Black Barked Trees with Blue leaves - Weirwood Trees

Shade of the Evening made from trees - Weirwood Paste

Both drinks open your third eye of a sorts. 

A midget/dwarf/Cotf??  - Children of the Forest

Dead Valyrians underneath all these Black Barked trees giving Dany visions - Bloodraven under Weirwood giving visions

If this all doesn't stink of Valyrian activity in Westeros then idk what does. Where else did they get all these notions and things?

13 minutes ago, Lady Barbrey said:

Hightowers are a breed apart.  I do agree with you there.  They were the first kings in Westeros, but of pirates and shipwrecked sailors and small communities that arose thereof. (I know this, btw, from the Yi Ti section of WoiaF!)

There is a great deal of difference between journeying on a small boat or a raft to visible or known islands, and understanding seacraft and primitive navigation.  I did a lot of work on Polynesian archeology and their seacraft and the distances they travelled were amazing!

I think it might have been part of the pact, honestly, that there was little trade with Essos.  The Children wanted Westeros isolated from Essos, and who could blame them?  They'd been wiped out there.  And Essos itself seems like a dry, soulless place to me, with its blighted cities, ruins, ghost grass, shrunken seas and slavery.

When thinking about the Andals, i think it's important to remember that the founders of the Free Cities by Valyria, was made all by Valyrians that didnt ride dragons. So i am quite skeptical about the Andals and their origins and relations to Westeros. Maybe they are merely the Blackfyres of their day, kicked out, written out of history, but came home to reclaim their lands. Idk

On 10/26/2018 at 12:28 AM, Ran said:

I think some things may have a bearing on the plot, but a feature George added after the third novel in the series -- the uncertainty of ancient history -- at a time where he already knew the ending of the series is not something that is in itself important, especially since he told me that he did that because of people like me who kept trying to get more precise details. ;) 

Lots of the ancient history George generated in TWoIaF was generated because it was fun, not because it was necessary. As an example, I'd categorize the details of Yi Ti and the Dawn Empire and the oily black stone as the same thing -- fun stuff, not necessary stuff.

I wish you could share more of what you know or think on somethings. I know last you were posting vids, you showed interest in Brandon and Ashara regarding Jon Snow. 

Ive been digging at Queen's Crown and Bael and all that for a while now but the one thing holding back somethings is an acceptance from me of Brandon and Ashara. That being said, after staring at Bael and Alysanne long enough, it's really hard to ignore the link between Bael and the Crypts, and Alysanne and Queen's Crown to Lyanna Stark at The Tower of Joy, and Ashara Dayne in the dungeons of K.L.

Edit- I just don't see why if anything else, Ashara can get into the dungeons, but wont get Brandon out. Varys only denies Eddard because he wants to deny him, whether for not being a hero or not. Ashara would want to, and we know from Jamie and Tyrion that it's possible. I just dont see what would have become of Brandon should he have escaped and that goes into tinfoil of someone else being glamoured as Brandon and burned alive like Mance Rayder was. And i know these examples are in the book, but that's just crazy that Brandon could survive, cause where would he be. So yea, i just dont see Ashara going in and sleeping with Brandon. 

Archived