Who buried the cache at the Fist?

Legitimate_Bastard

A Clash of Kings - Jon IV

Jon brushed the loose soil away to reveal a rounded bundle perhaps two feet across. He jammed his fingers down around the edges and worked it loose. When he pulled it free, whatever was inside shifted and clinked. Treasure, he thought, but the shapes were wrong to be coins, and the sound was wrong for metal.
A length of frayed rope bound the bundle together. Jon unsheathed his dagger and cut it, groped for the edges of the cloth, and pulled. The bundle turned, and its contents spilled out onto the ground, glittering dark and bright. He saw a dozen knives, leaf-shaped spearheads, numerous arrowheads. Jon picked up a dagger blade, featherlight and shiny black, hiltless. Torchlight ran along its edge, a thin orange line that spoke of razor sharpness. Dragonglass. What the maesters call obsidian. Had Ghost uncovered some ancient cache of the children of the forest, buried here for thousands of years? The Fist of the First Men was an old place, only . . .
Beneath the dragonglass was an old warhorn, made from an auroch's horn and banded in bronze. Jon shook the dirt from inside it, and a stream of arrowheads fell out. He let them fall, and pulled up a corner of the cloth the weapons had been wrapped in, rubbing it between his fingers. Good wool, thick, a double weave, damp but not rotted. It could not have been long in the ground. And it was dark. He seized a handful and pulled it close to the torch. Not dark. Black.

It was recently buried - relatively anyway (it wasn't ancient) - we know this from the condition of the black cloth it was wrapped in.

So who actually buried it? Benjen? Bloodraven? Someone else?

16 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

It was recently buried - relatively anyway (it wasn't ancient) - we know this from the condition of the black cloth it was wrapped in.

My guess , Coldhands via Bloodraven.

I used to think Benjen or some other watchman could have learned of dragonglass' power vs. the Others -- but then why would they bury it at the Fist? It's not like they would know that Mormont would suddenly march an army to that very spot.

So I'm leaning toward BR, either through Coldhands or some other Coldhands-like creation. Or maybe a CotF.

2 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I remember Summer not liking the way Coldhands smelled. Would Ghost not have had a similar reaction to the cloth if Coldhands had buried it? LMAO that sounds ludicrous just saying it out loud....

Even if he senses something wrong with the smell, Ghost would still lead Jon to it and dig it up. He brought the dead hand of a wight to Jon at the wierwood grove.

7 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

So would a continuation of that be that Benjen buried it out of the way a bit because he knew Ghost would smell his scent? Did Benjen bury it for himself to come back to? Or for Jon specifically? 

I don't think Benjen could anticipate the Great Ranging nor that Jon&Ghost would come, so the bolded option sounds more likely. Now, analyze the setting of the buried horn. It is surrounded by Dragon Glass. What would happen if some White Walker tried to unbury it?

40 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Now, analyze the setting of the buried horn. It is surrounded by Dragon Glass. What would happen if some White Walker tried to unbury it?

This is why I love this forum. Many brains are better than one! Thanks!!!

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I did ! All jokes aside my guess Brandon the Builder , . War horn banded in bronze . Cold is a preserver .It is known that 10000 year old mammoth carcass have been found perfectly preserved .

I think Benjen could've anticipated some sort of ranging coming that way. Though it seems that Mormont made that decision after the wights attack, could very well been considering the possibility prior to it and discussed it before sending Benjen off. Or it could be buried after the ranging started, I don't think there's an established need to know about the ranging beforehand.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:58 PM, rotting sea cow said:

I don't think Benjen could anticipate the Great Ranging nor that Jon&Ghost would come, so the bolded option sounds more likely. Now, analyze the setting of the buried horn. It is surrounded by Dragon Glass. What would happen if some White Walker tried to unbury it?

It depends, we don’t really have enough data to say whether they can’t even touch dragonglass or if only stabbing them hurts them.

It does at least imply that they can’t touch it (or the hider believed so at least), and it makes sense to me that it would hurt them to touch it but probably wouldn’t kill them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:52 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I wonder if leaf shaped spearheads is a nod toward Leaf. Leaf could have snagged a cloak from Bloodraven...

I think you're stepping in it. These are representative of the weapons given to the Watch by the CotF for a long time. Somebody (in the watch / realm) knows what they're good for. Who gave them and who burried them could be different questions. 

What if anyone else knew about the Fist? Could someone else, some other group of people be looking for a package from the Children? 

On 10/29/2018 at 3:20 PM, Darion Storm said:

It depends, we don’t really have enough data to say whether they can’t even touch dragonglass or if only stabbing them hurts them.

It does at least imply that they can’t touch it (or the hider believed so at least), and it makes sense to me that it would hurt them to touch it but probably wouldn’t kill them.

What if they shake the cloth to seperate the horn from obsidian?

They can always poke around with sticks as well...

... or use pincers and other stuff to grab it.

Archived