Most filmable adaptation

mactwist2

With all the adaptations coming out lately it made me wonder what would be most filmable. My pick would probably be the first law trilogy, seems easy enough even if there are some I'd rather see. The black company I've only reas the first 3 but the taken ride on magic carpet like objects. That's wayyy too kiddie to me and they'd have to change that somehow but I'm not sure how. Wheel of time seems tough because the magic being a focal point but they're doing it so we'll see.

What adapts best for you aside from the stuff already adapted?

7 hours ago, Errant Bard said:

Check this thread: 

Funny that it's been twice in a short time that a first time poster has asked the same question. Is it in the Zeitgeist to desire tv series adapted from sff, any sff?

That was like 6 months ago lol.  Thanks for the link though I read through the asshole responses and the couple good ones.  I desire good fantasy on television/movies because there has only been a few ever and I really enjoyed them.  

11 hours ago, mactwist2 said:

That was like 6 months ago lol.  Thanks for the link though I read through the asshole responses and the couple good ones.  I desire good fantasy on television/movies because there has only been a few ever and I really enjoyed them.  

A few? I won't argue about numbers but in any case I don't want another Dungeons and Dragons adaptation.

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Lord of the Rings would probably be a good one.

An animated movie. With songs.

4 hours ago, Errant Bard said:

A few? I won't argue about numbers but in any case I don't want another Dungeons and Dragons adaptation.

An animated movie. With songs.

LOTR and GOT are the only fantasies I've seen on tv or movies that were good. I've yet to see excalibur and pans labryinth that are rated high but I've seen most everything else and it's mainly trash.

I think the Lies of Locke Lamora would translate nicely to tv. It wouldn't be too expensive (first season takes place in a single city, the cast is reduced, and there are no great armies or displays of magic). And the Robin Hood meets The Godfather vibe may appeal to broad audiences.

The First Law trilogy could work great, too. Perhaps a little more expensive, but the books are already finished.

21 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I think the Lies of Locke Lamora would translate nicely to tv. It wouldn't be too expensive (first season takes place in a single city, the cast is reduced, and there are no great armies or displays of magic). And the Robin Hood meets The Godfather vibe may appeal to broad audiences.

The First Law trilogy could work great, too. Perhaps a little more expensive, but the books are already finished.

LoLL is super gory though, but you could edit a lot of that out and not lose much. 

I've posted this before but Amber would be great. Not a huge cast, special effects now make shadow travel fileable, lots of derring do, etc... I know its in development but sounds like a yeah right, when pigs fly kind of development. 

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Doesn't some company have the option to LoLL? Or did that expire?

Lies of Locke Lamora was optioned before it was even published, but that went nowhere, and I suspect it's either not optioned or someone else is holding the option.

Amber is optioned and being developed by Robert Kirkman's production company. I expect nothing good to come of it.

15 hours ago, Ran said:

Lies of Locke Lamora was optioned before it was even published, but that went nowhere, and I suspect it's either not optioned or someone else is holding the option.

Amber is optioned and being developed by Robert Kirkman's production company. I expect nothing good to come of it.

just to be upfront I am a huge fan of Roger Zelazny's work, including his Amber series. I think that a series made from the Amber novels would be relatively easy to make as it is told in the first person. Whether the characters are true to the way Zelazny wrote them is difficult to predict regardless of who writes the scripts or how each actor interprets  the role. 

25 minutes ago, maarsen said:

just to be upfront I am a huge fan of Roger Zelazny's work, including his Amber series. I think that a series made from the Amber novels would be relatively easy to make as it is told in the first person. Whether the characters are true to the way Zelazny wrote them is difficult to predict regardless of who writes the scripts or how each actor interprets  the role. 

My issue is with Kirkman, rather than the material. The material is great, and in good hands could also be great, but I don't consider Kirkman's to be good hands.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

My issue is with Kirkman, rather than the material. The material is great, and in good hands could also be great, but I don't consider Kirkman's to be good hands.

I understand your trepidation.  I have been waiting for years for any SF series to come to life on the screen that is as good as the source material. There is so much and so little actually translates.

I probably said this 6 months ago but "tales of the jetty jay" series by Chris wooding's would make a great show/film series.

"Shadows of the apt" by Adria Tchaikovsky would make multiple seasons of TV and has an evolving cast and complexity from book to book which is something that works for TV where they seek to keep things fresh each season with new locations and characters. It could be pricey though.

And then there's the second apocalypse. Which could make great TV but would be "Oz" dark. While it could become more expensive with time I think the SFX and battles could be minimised (if Vikings and last kingdom can do battle scenes I enjoy then so could this). The show would either be a success or cancelled before it hits the second trilogy where it would be harder to write around the big battles. I think they'd also need to soften some of the characters/attitudes towards women too which is tricky as it seems integral to the story but I think they could approach it from a less harsh starting position while still maintaining the theme that women are treated unequally in that world. Maybe flesh out the few female roles a little more or maybe have the emperor be female as I'm sure "god like" characters can transcend gender bias.

Someone should try the dark tower again but from Roland's beginnings through to the fall of Gilead. Then decide whether they want to follow through with the gunslinger onwards. This one might still be in the works but the disastrous film may have scuppered it.

And first law for the reasons already stated. Same with lies of locke. Could make a good miniseries or film per book. I guess the reluctance there would be there only being 3 books to adapt so they'd have to be willing to create their own further adventures.

14 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

That title is irritating me...

Anyway I've had this recurring fantasy of a Joss Whedon directed First Law trilogy.

Sorry mate but i agree about first law and joss whedon does seem like a guy who could make it work. They'd have to keep it raw though. The reason a guy like Glotka is so interesting is how brutal he is. Love that series though and it's fairly short/doable.

Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep is pretty adaptable. It's basically giant space opera with a planetary side story, and while they'd need to vary up and abridge the whole "Usenet of the Galaxy" stuff, it seems like an adaptation would be pretty straightforward (if really expensive).

I strongly disagree on the Second Apocalypse's readiness for adaptation. Tons of changes would have to be made, and should be made. 

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The ideal person to direct a First Law trilogy would be Matthew Vaughan, not Joss Whedon. Just saying.

I think Guy Ritchie, if he brings his A game, would also work, but they're pretty similar directors. I find Vaughn a trifle over-rated these days -- he seems to be in a real creative rut ATM -- but then again he's a much more consistent director than Ritchie.

Archived