Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

4 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Sacked twice in five months and missed the WC he worked toward for two years.  I bet he's regretting ever taking that call from Perez.

I'm sure his compensation money will keep him warm at night - word is he has made around €18m in compensation for being sacked from the NT and Real.

Real shouldn't have hired Lopetegui in the first place. He failed miserably at his one and only previous job as a club manager at Porto. He's only been good working in the national setup (U19s, U21s and the NT). Real Madrid really should have gone all out for Poch. Solari doesn't seem like a good appointment either from what I've been reading about him - he's been struggling with the Castilla team and many feel that Guti should have replaced him there, he's apparently poor tactically and he does not have the stature of Zidane to reign in the massive egos at Real Madrid.

Spurs will be kicking themselves over that. City were the better side but by their standards it’s been a relatively poor performance, if Trippier doesn’t hand them a cheap goal Spurs could easily have come away with a result.

The games between the top 5 are pretty close so far.  I think City 2-0 against Arsenal is the only victory by more than a goal, and that was before Arsenal found their feet.  Perhaps City have decided they don't need to take any risks against the big opponents because they can rely on being more efficient and higher scoring against everyone else.

17 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

To be fair, or in Mourinho's defense (never thought I'd say that), but that's pretty much common practice in professional football. You can say, it's a shitty system, that operates that way, which is correct, but this one is clearly not down to Mourinho being a horrible human being.

Remember the story about Ivan Klasnic and his kidney transplants, I posted in the previous thread? That was also in part down to him playing with painkillers, because that's what expected. There was also some TV documenatry a good while ago (I only recall it, as I am writing this post), in which former team doctors were also pretty open to use off getting players thru matches with painkillers. They made a case, that they don't use them on muscular injuries iirc, as that is just not working. But for ligaments, bruises etc. it's pretty common practice. Ofc course this entire mechanism gets worse the more competitive games, with less time for recovery there is between games. Cue. Klopp's comment of attempting to press the last drops of juice out of that orange (I think that was the metaphor he used).

As for the managers (like Mourinho), they need results or they are out, and they are just more likely to get results with their best players being available. So there's also pressure on them to field their strongest players (unfit or not) week in week out. As for the players, if they are not willing to swallow their pills, the guy next to them will. And a Messi, Hazard, Salah, C. Ronaldo, Özil, Pogba (or Matic in this case), are simply not worth that much if they only played likesay 15-20 games a year, instead of over 40. And that's also reflected on their contracts.

If you want, you can do a small fun experiment. When you happen to run into a former player, just ask them in how many games they played without any pain whatsoever.

A year or two ago I read Taxi For Farrell, which is a book by a lower-league journeyman who played in Scotland and briefly in England, sometimes on part-time contracts, sometimes on pro. He talks quite openly about this, about getting painkilling injections to play despite knowing it was bad for his body long-term, and that was quite a few years ago now, at a much lower level. It's a widespread practice and it needs to be eliminated. 

It looks like Poch might be even more hamstrung in the transfer market. Reports saying that Spurs are going to borrow another £237m to cover increasing costs for the new stadium and net debt is set to rise from £366m to £600m. Club preparing bond issue to refinance the debt. 

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Think the game is at the Emirates. Should be a good one. Arsenal vs Liverpool seems to be full of goals more often than not. 

Didn't know it was at the emirates. Slightly more optimistic now, but we give away *so* many chances every game. 

6 hours ago, mormont said:

A year or two ago I read Taxi For Farrell, which is a book by a lower-league journeyman who played in Scotland and briefly in England, sometimes on part-time contracts, sometimes on pro. He talks quite openly about this, about getting painkilling injections to play despite knowing it was bad for his body long-term, and that was quite a few years ago now, at a much lower level. It's a widespread practice and it needs to be eliminated. 

To elaborate a bit on that. Wasn't former Liverpool player Daniel Agger also quite open about his use of painkillers?

Probably a question for our resident scousers.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:36 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

To elaborate a bit on that. Wasn't former Liverpool player Daniel Agger also quite open about his use of painkillers?

He had a chronic back problem so I wouldn’t be surprised if he used painkillers to play a lot. I don’t particularly remember him talking about his use of painkillers but it’s not like it’s any kind of secret how often they’re used by all kinds of professional athletes.

Horrendous early own goal by one of the Chelsea loanees for Derby under no real pressure. That’s brutal.

ETA: Quick response from Derby to get back level though.

When Dagger retired, he indicated that part of the reason he was doing so because the use of painkillers was having an effect on his family life.

When he played for Liverpool, it was necessary for him to take drugs before every game to get through a match, although it may also have been necessary to put up with Brendan Rodgers.  He went back to Brondby in an attempt to play less physically-demanding football to reduce the need for painkillers.

None of this is news to me.

There's still a difference between managers asking or players taking it upon themselves (which I imagine is the way it happens most of the time), and a manager (publicly) throwing one or more of his players under the bus because of an unwillingness to gamble with their fitness.

So Mourinho, and any other manager who treats his players that way, is a prick.

In Scandinavian football news, Lord Nicklas Bendtner (currently playing for Norwegian powerhouse Rosenborg) has been sentenced to 50 days in prison for punching a taxi driver in the face over an unpaid taxi fare of around £5.

The taxi driver apparently drove after them on a bike path, called Bendtner's girlfriend "slut" and threw a soda can after them before Bendtner threw a punch and landed an alleged kick.

Exciting times.

Der Spiegel have got their hands on some leaks showing that there are advanced plans for a 16 team Euro Super League in the next few years, and that City and PSG colluded with Gianni Infantino whilst he was at UEFA to get round FFP. There’s more to come, including some revelations about doping

http://www.spiegel.de/international/football-leaks-manchester-city-paris-saint-germain-gianni-infantino-a-1236277.html

The Dutch are kind of pissed that no Dutch team is included.

And can we have our Belgian stars (Courtois, De Bruyne, Kompany, Hazard, Witsel, ...) back :P? Their education was paid by Belgian money of Belgian clubs - who doesn't have to pay a lot of taxes on condition they spent it on youth programs. 

Anyway, we would lose a big part of our national team then.

Edit: It is very classy to mock the death of a former prime minister, very classy. 

Archived