Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

13 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Anyway, with the three clubs you mentioned (Pool, Chelski Arsenal) that leaves like 30 fixtures which they are very likely to win each season. Which puts them at 90 points.

England was his toughest nut to crack (his 1st season with City was the worst of his managerial career) but now that he has cracked it, it's clear that a 90-95 point season is needed to even challenge (based on his points totals with Barca and Bayern). The best placed teams to do this are Liverpool and Chelsea.

Liverpool are getting results without playing in top gear and Klopp has clearly tweaked his pressing system to conserve his players while solidifying the defence which has been Liverpool's achilles heel for years. Chelsea have a squad that is proven to be title winning quality and have a manager who has proven (with a weaker squad and far less financial resources) that he can get around the 90 point mark. 

On 11/5/2018 at 12:50 PM, Consigliere said:

Liverpool are getting results without playing in top gear and Klopp has clearly tweaked his pressing system to conserve his players while solidifying the defence which has been Liverpool's achilles heel for years. Chelsea have a squad that is proven to be title winning quality and have a manager who has proven (with a weaker squad and far less financial resources) that he can get around the 90 point mark. 

Yes, but we are basically talking of a point floor of 90 points for City. I mean, we discussed it before the season, that you need 90+ points if you want to challenge them (not sure, who argued, that City won't post another 100 points season, anyway), and that's a very tall order. Liverpool are probably the most improved team in the league. Which should put them into 85 point range (give or take, and imho Chelsea are a tiny bit below that). So it would recquire a very good Liverpool and a meh City season for them to win the league. Personally, I think Klopp has the right approach to this, we look at our games and try to win them, if City gathers 90 points, so be it.

Anyway, with regards to football, I'd like to correct a British Football pundit. No, not Lineker (that'd be blasphemy);  Burke.

It only takes one uggo to score for evil to triumph.

Bit of a disaster so far.  I'm worried that this has been coming for a while.  Our form declined for several weeks, recovered briefly against some weak teams, and now slumped again instead of kicking on.  We're badly lacking a spark but thankfully we haven't lost too much ground yet.  But we need to rediscover that spark sharpish.

PSG and Napoli drew, which means that Liverpool still qualify out of the group if they can beat PSG away.  But that comes after another international break, which is usually a tough time for us.  To top the group we would need to beat Napoli at home by more than 1-0, and get a result away to PSG that is the same as Napoli's result at home to Red Star (scoreline doesn't matter).  If we don't qualify then we can't really have any complaints after losing two away already.

But first and foremost we need to get out of this current funk.  Shaqiri will be back available for the weekend, and hopefully Keita and Henderson will return soon to bring some energy and rotation a midfield that looks very stale right now.  Fulham at home is a good fixture after a tough midweek, but early kick-offs are usually a problem for us.

Honestly, this is the first time in a decade or so that I saw Serbian football club perform in a way worth watching in European competition.

If I had to find an explanation for it, I'd say that Klopp shuffling some cards with poor performance from every single player on the pitch and some unlucky breaks led to the result. It kind of all came together for Crvena Zvezda last night and they deserved that win.

Considering my previous comments, it's a huge understatement that I'm surprised. :shocked:

15 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

The players on the pitch will take most of the blame for this performance, but these problems have been there to some degree in most of our games this season. This is something Klopp needs to address before it derails our season.

Agreed.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Bit of a disaster so far.  I'm worried that this has been coming for a while.  Our form declined for several weeks, recovered briefly against some weak teams, and now slumped again instead of kicking on.  We're badly lacking a spark but thankfully we haven't lost too much ground yet.  But we need to rediscover that spark sharpish.

Agreed. Surely Shaqiri must be given a few starts. He seems to be our only player currently able to ignite that creative spark and make things happen from midfield.

It's so frustrating to watch the lack of fluidity in our attack after the last couple of seasons. We know what this team is capable of in terms of attacking football, but at the moment it's all bad first touches, underhit passes, poor decisions and woeful finishing (if we even get a shot on goal). We also seem to have abandoned a lot of the one-touch passing our way through the opponent's back line in favour of long balls over the top for Mané and Salah, which has yielded inconsistent results at best. 

Except the last two games, we have looked much more solid this season, but seemingly at some serious expense going forward.

Taking off Sturridge didn't make much sense to me. Sure, put Firmino on, but you have to wonder how badly Mané and Salah have to play for Klopp to sub them off. Sturridge was the liveliest of our attackers in the first half, and should probably have had at least one goal.

The only game we've looked more lacklustre in this season was Napoli away, but that was against supposedly stronger opposition.

It was abject across the board.

Just watched the game. Depressing stuff. Poor passing and decision making all around. Not sure why we lumped it forward every fucking time. It's like the team have forgotten how to stay calm, keep possession and play through midfield. Instead of folding under pressure, constantly going backwards and lumping long ball forward like idiots. Not even behind the line into space for the wingers to run in, but just directly at Salah with defenders behind him.....

Frustrating to watch.

Juve were the better side but I'm happy that the team showed character and fight. Coming back from 1-0 down to win  away at one of the best teams in Europe is nothing to scoff at. The downside is that we keep starting games playing very passively and only start showing some initiative when we are a goal down. De Gea was class - the club needs to do/pay whatever it takes to keep him at the club because he is irreplaceable. 

From the goals show it seemed like Juve had more than enough chances to seal it at 1-0, but got complacent and wasted them.

In the main match I was watching Lyon vs Hoffenheim had just as crazy a finish. Just as in the previous game, Hoffenheim scored an equaliser in the 92nd minute. Whereas then they should have been numerous goals ahead by that point, this time it was Lyon who should have been out of sight especially as Hoffenheim were down to 10.

Also, Sterling getting a penalty for tripping over the pitch was hilarious. Given how dominant City were, it would have been a nice gesture to tell the referee that he was mistaken.

Archived