Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

Always lovely to see Magnificent Marouane annihilate the credibility of his impotent haters.

Mofo doesn't even need to touch the ball and he still causes massively hyped defenders to soil their knickers so bad they'll lose themselves and gift United a goal.

Martial called up to the France squad. 

https://twitter.com/equipedefrance/status/1060518273152962560

Looking at the squad, I'm surprised that Lacazette and Laporte have not been selected. Laporte especially since there have been rumours that Spain might try to get him to switch allegiance. I'd have dropped Rami and Sakho for Lacazette and Laporte. There's no point having both Rami and Sakho when Pavard is a natural CB as well and you have Sidibe for RB. Varane and Kimpembe (Umtiti when fit again) will be 1st choice CBs anyway. 

Well, to get back to the football leak papers, and what Spiegel and others have uncovered.

Apart from the financial doping, there is something way more appalling with regards to City in it.

It involves underage players, and how City undermines the transfer ban on those.

I give a quick summary, with a few cue words for those who want to get into it a bit deeper.

Alright, here we go.
City is basically running a football school in Ghana. For that school they scout pretty much all over western Africa to fill their ranks. Which are not allowed to do per FIFA rules. So how do they work around it? There's a company called, Right to Dream. City is transfering through this company around 800k a year to their football school. In exchange they get Right to Dream that they do everything in their power for their players to sign for City, once they are 18. Their primary goal however is not get talents to play for City. The aim is to train players for the European market, and make profit from transfers and loan deals. Human capital in the truest sense of the word, if you will. Is it profitable? Well, apparently, according to football leaks document, they estimate the value of their investment (or players, or kids if you want to humanize them) to be around 75m+. Nice return of invest - however, when you have a more human perspective of things, that the business model is basically, recruiting young kids to ship around the European continent, once they come of age, then words like modern slavery might come to mind.

Feeling incredibly sorry for Danny Welbeck, who suffered a horrific injury against Lisbon last night. It was one of those where they don't show any replays on the telly, and seeing the pictures this morning, you can see why.

Given he's out of contract at the end of the season, will be interesting to see how the club handles his situation.

Also, I wish one of the more senior players had led Guendouzi and Smith-Rowe away. They just stood there for five minutes, staring at the injury. No-one needs to see that.

I know its a much lower level, but I'd like to throw out that Louisville City FC just won their second straight USL title.

Not bad for a team still playing in a minor league baseball stadium.  They are currently constructing a dedicated soccer stadium, but I don't think they will be in it for next season.  Its in a bit of a downtrodden area of town that has been targeted for some redevelopment and I'm excited to see what an anchor like a winning pro sports franchise can do for it. 

They also have plans to make a push for moving up to the MLS.  Lou City was better than Cincy when they were both in USL, but Cincy had a better fanbase that was more accustomed to supporting pro sports I think and they got the call up.  I'm hopeful that the new stadium will give them the infrastructure in place to move up.

Good back-to-back wins for Newcastle. 

The officials in the Southampton/Watford game were really poor. VAR is desperately needed in the EPL. Southampton had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out. Yoshida was in an offside position when Austin took a shot  which deflected off a defender and ended up in the back of the net but only an idiot would have considered Yoshida to be interfering with play or obstructing the GK. Around 8-10 minutes before that, Watford were denied a blatant penalty. 

Well there is no such thing as ‘der klassiker’ so you can spell it however you like. ;)

Tremendous game though. After a disappointing first half for them, BVB really turned it on after the break and were deserving of the win. A lot of that was down to replacing Weigl, who was not suited for the counter attacking game they were trying to play or fit, with Dahoud. But also they looked much more composed when in the break in the second half - they had a good number of opportunities to get forward in the first but blew all of them almost immediately.  Sancho especially cut through Bayern’s defence at will.

I mean I’ll take it but VAR can’t come soon enough. Looked like Robbo was just playing Mitrovic on. Harsh on Fulham

Yeah awful half from Mane. Horrendous first touch and he seemed to misplace every pass or shot he attempted. 

I thought Fabinho looked good. Once again broke up the play really well and he picked out a few passes that could have led to goals. 

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Scratch that, Mane has been full on dogshit. Yet another example of Klopp completely ignoring form.

We still don’t have a proper backup for Mane do we? At least not when Shaq is playing in front of a double pivot. Could put in Naby for him and move Shaq up I guess. Or Sturridge :dunno: 

Archived