Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

Well done to the Dutch for coming back to score two late goals to draw the game and win the group. The Germans will be kicking themselves though. They were strolling through this game for 80+ minutes and missed a number of good chances to put the game to bed.

Can someone help me understand why the Netherlands was included in League A? They certainly showed they deserved to be there, but considering their most recent qualification campaigns, not sure they should have been there, ahead of other teams, like Denmark or Sweden. Was it just name recognition? Iceland, on the other hand, was included based on their Euro performance, and qualifying for the WC.

29 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Got City on in the background and they’re just carving West Ham apart.

Bad idea, if you end up comparing this City team to your own team. That leads more or less inevitably to frustration.

Either watch them for entertainment value, as in how inept most of the other teams look against them, or when you want to see a rival (for you likesay, Everton or United) suffer.

I am not watching EPL atm, but City's third was apparently a real beauty from Sterling (assist) and Sane (finish).

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bad idea, if you end up comparing this City team to your own team. That leads more or less inevitably to frustration.

Either watch them for entertainment value, as in how inept most of the other teams look against them, or when you want to see a rival (for you likesay, Everton or United) suffer.

I am not watching EPL atm, but City's third was apparently a real beauty from Sterling (assist) and Sane (finish).

Yeah wasn’t comparing really. Just an observation. Sterling is ridiculously good. 

Beauty of a free kick from Trent. Pretty dumb from Hendo but it made me laugh. 

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

More toothless rubbish from Liverpool so far.

This more aptly describes United. If Liverpool's football is "toothless rubbish" then what United are playing can't even be called football. 

400m spent to achieve United's worst start to a league season in 28 years. It's baffling how Mourinho is still even in the job - he's somehow managing to do a worse job than David fucking Moyes. Any top club would have sacked him already. 

Just now, Consigliere said:

This more aptly describes United. If Liverpool's football is "toothless rubbish" then what United are playing can't even be called football. 

400m spent to achieve United's worst start to a league season in 28 years. It's baffling how Mourinho is still even in the job - he's somehow managing to do a worse job than David fucking Moyes. Any top club would have sacked him already. 

Was about to ask, whether it's Piers writing, but then I realized, this year it's United and Mourinho, and not Arsenal and Arsene. :D

But I can see how United are little reluctant to pull the trigger just yet. A new manager might want to spend big to overhaul the squad, and if a DoF is really coming in, then it might be better if he gets to pick a manager (or continue to work with Mourinho if he decides to (unlikely)), instead of grudgingly working with somebody recently hired by Woodward.

But then again, a new DoF will probably want to spend some time at the club to get to know the inner workings, before he appoints a new manager. So, Mou might be around for a bit longer.

And somewhere van Gaal must be having a good laugh at this.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Was about to ask, whether it's Piers writing, but then I realized, this year it's United and Mourinho, and not Arsenal and Arsene. :D

But I can see how United are little reluctant to pull the trigger just yet. A new manager might want to spend big to overhaul the squad, and if a DoF is really coming in, then it might be better if he gets to pick a manager (or continue to work with Mourinho if he decides to (unlikely)), instead of grudgingly working with somebody recently hired by Woodward.

But then again, a new DoF will probably want to spend some time at the club to get to know the inner workings, before he appoints a new manager. So, Mou might be around for a bit longer.

And somewhere van Gaal must be having a good laugh at this.

There's likely some clause in Mourinho's contract as United journos have reported that Mourinho has a say if a DoF is appointed and apparently his buddy and "yes man" Luis Campos is his preferred choice. That would explain why there has been no developments. Woodward is probably waiting until top 4 is mathematically impossible before sacking Mourinho - probably a clause limiting the payout for failing to get CL football like there was with Moyes. 

Archived