Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

I think the utterly jammy nature of that Origi goal might finally offset Jagielka hitting a last minute, long range, once-in-career, thunderbolt equalizer in the derby a few years ago.  

Perhaps next time we’ll get the offset to DCL’s softest-penalty-ever equalizer for Allardyce. 

Considering it was Everton who gave Origi the brutal injury that made him miss the EL final — when he was in great form — and completely derailed his career, I’d guess he’s feeling like that goal was a quantum of solace. 

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Mane badly needs to be dropped, he's awful. Even when his first touch leaves the ball in the same postcode as him, he then can't decide what to do and spends the next ten seconds hesitating before doing something useless.

Nah,Firmino is the one that needs dropping.Mane,even with his faults can score those fantastic goals in a moment of brilliance.

7 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Nah,Firmino is the one that needs dropping.Mane,even with his faults can score those fantastic goals in a moment of brilliance.

Yeah, but so can Salah and Shaqiri. Whereas if you lose Firmino you lose some scrappiness, even if he isn't playing particularly well either.

Neither of the front three are in form at the moment. It's actually impressive that they've scored as many as they have this season. 

I think Klopp needs to be bold now and rest one or even two of them, and give Sturridge and/or Origi a couple of games. 

Fabinho had a lot of good interceptions to day, a few of whom led to some of our biggest chances. 

We still look more shaky and less resolute in defence compared to the start of the season, but with Allison and Gomez in particular in this game, we get another clean sheet. 

I think Everton's midfield outplayed and overran ours at times today. Shaqiri definitely adds to our creativity and attack, but it comes at the cost of looking less solid defensively.

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, but so can Salah and Shaqiri. Whereas if you lose Firmino you lose some scrappiness, even if he isn't playing particularly well either.

To be fair ,now that i think about it,some of the blame goes to Klopp for playing Bobby in his present position.

Just stick him back where he belongs: up top.Salah should be wider.

Our forward line isnt working with Salah through the middle, I cant really understand moving a player from a position that he scored so many goals in last season. It hurts all three of Salah, Firmino and Mane I think. Mane and Salah have no room to move into and Firmino is too deep to have much effect and seems a little lost, the added effect is we dont seem to be able to press from the front like we did last season. I think the defense is great atm and the attack can improve heaps but we have a long way to go before we look like we are on the same level as city.

Liverpool face Burnley midweek, so perhaps it’s time for Sturridge to get another start in place of Firmino to freshen things up.  And Shaqiri could play as the right-sided attacker if Keita comes in too. 

There must be some heavy legs after two very tough games, so I’d expect some rotation.  Probably Henderson and Milner to return too. 

I know I’m like a broken record on this point, but it’s nothing short of a miracle that we’re only two points behind City.  I just don’t know if our struggles will continue and eventually show up in more dropped points, or we’ll finally find our groove again and be very grateful to have been so efficient while off color. 

So many games in the coming weeks.  I just hope players can avoid injury with this intensity. 

..yes, awful again. Sure, we play well, create chances (and allow some), and still we find space to let in the most silly goal ever.

..oh, btw, since there was some mention of DCLs penalty last year, that was clearly payback for the Clattenburg derby, where (among his many terrible desicions), he failed to give Lescott a penalty in overtime. 

Mark Hughes sacked by Southampton. No great surprise there, a draw against United isn’t good enough for relegation threatened teams.

Looks like teams who aren’t happy with their managers are starting to pull the trigger to give the new boss a bit of time with the squad before January.

6 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

USMNT finally hired someone to be the manager.  His name is Gregg Berhalter.  He has 5~6 years of experience in charge of the Columbus (Ohio) team in MLS.  I was hoping for better.

Yea. I hear you. Not sure we had a ton of options though and the word is Berhalter is an obsessively detailed, tactical coach which I think bodes well for a young group of players. We'll see.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Looks like teams who aren’t happy with their managers are starting to pull the trigger to give the new boss a bit of time with the squad before January.

Except United, unfortunately, especially considering that Mourinho has a history of never being able to turn things around. History suggests it will only get worse in fact. It seems baffling at first that he is still in the job until one realises that United is run by people who care more about tractor and noodle sponsorships than football.

Mourinho has turned into such a toxic person over the years that I can't understand why anyone would hire him after his tenure at Utd is over, one way or another.

He's spent insane amounts of money and hasn't managed to get the results, he seems to have managed to alienate quite a few of his players, is in trouble with the press way too often and he has repeatedly refused to take any responsibility for United's results and form.

If he lost his job today, which European top-level club would risk hiring him? I mean, he could bring some short term success I'm not sure any top club would be willing to pay the cost. 

13 minutes ago, baxus said:

If he lost his job today, which European top-level club would risk hiring him? I mean, he could bring some short term success I'm not sure any top club would be willing to pay the cost. 

Inter might give him a shot. He's still well liked there. The last time though, post Calciopoli, Inter were already the dominant team in Serie A before Mourinho arrived. I doubt a second stint would go anywhere near as well because Mourinho would not cope well with being in Juve's shadow and Inter fans never had to experience that side of Mourinho.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm going to cry on Wednesday when United beats Arsenal 2-0.

Arsenal are going to give United a prostate exam on Wednesday.

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Arsenal are going to give United a prostate exam on Wednesday.

Nah. It happens every year. Arsenal mostly outplays United, they get two cheeky goals on the break and de Gea shows once again why he's one of the best in the world. Don't underestimate the emotional comedown after a derby win against Tottenham.

Archived