Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's a good job I actually watch Liverpool play sometimes because otherwise I'd actually believe the poor dears are the mostest hardest done-by team that's ever been. As it is since I've seen both them and Burnley- not a dirty side- play regularly I'm just gonna have to assume there's no more fouling than there is in any normal game and Joe Gomez has just been unfortunate.

Anyway, we're terrible and even De Gea is now terrible. Terrible.

Gomez collided with the hoardings. but Moreno was hit by a dirty tackle over the ball (not even called a foul, never mind a booking), plus some other meaty tackles without bookings.

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

but Moreno was hit by a dirty tackle over the ball (not even called a foul, never mind a booking),

I have no doubt that there are some dirty tackles. I'm just doubting that you're getting any really rougher treatment than what happens in any average football game.

If you were playing us, on the other hand, I'd believe you with no questions. We've been booting the absolute shit out of Arsenal.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I have no doubt that there are some dirty tackles. I'm just doubting that you're getting any really rougher treatment than what happens in any average football game.

If you were playing us, on the other hand, I'd believe you with no questions. We've been booting the absolute shit out of Arsenal.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Mariner sent off an Arsenal player in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half. Feels right for this fixture.

@Soylent Brown  We need to improve your patience and intestinal fortitude.

It was a good game plan overall: use the back-ups to save energy for the stars, and perhaps they can do enough to get a win.  If not, bring on the stars when the opponents are tiring and finish them off.

We didn't play particularly well -- of course we're disjoint with so many changes -- and it's terrible that Gomez got injured (fingers crossed for him).  But we conceded an offside goal to a set piece in the second half, yet we didn't collapse.  We equalized with an assist from Origi, brought on the big names and got the win.  Away from home against a desperate opponent who kicked lumps out of us.

Keita played really well and was very unlucky not to score.  Their GK made several good stops or we would have scored more and sooner.  Moreno was even pretty good.  And we managed the game really well, going up a gear when needed.

On the very same night Chelsea lost away to Wolves and Everton dropped points too.  And Arsenal might drop a couple of points too.

I still miss the fluent, explosive attacking play of last season but you cannot argue that we're more ruthless this year and much better at game management, which was our major criticism last year. 

Rojo is a master at dodging red cards. Elbows did what he does best. He might get a retrospective ban for the hair pulling though. 

Btw, Liverpool fans should not be complaining at all. Granted the team isn't playing fluid attacking football but I just saw a stat saying that this is Liverpool's best start to a league season in the club's entire 126 year history. Unfortunately (not really ;)) they are up against a Guardiola juggernaut that is going to deny them the title. 

I just watched some extended highlights and the Burnley players were absolute thugs.  It's a disgrace that the referee was not handing out yellow cards.  And Gomez was hurt by Ben Mee's tackle, not by the collision with the hoarding.  I'll be glad to see them go down.

Looks like Arsenal could have the very same complaint tonight.  It's rubbish for the fans and players that football can be dragged down to the shithouse level.

On the bright side, the defending for all four goals in the United:Arsenal game was comedy gold.  Arsenal's second goal was the pick of the bunch on that score.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Btw, Liverpool fans should not be complaining at all. Granted the team isn't playing fluid attacking football but I just saw a stat saying that this is Liverpool's best start to a league season in the club's entire 126 year history. Unfortunately (not really ;)) they are up against a Guardiola juggernaut that is going to deny them the title.  

Yeah, and don't forget that if referees did their jobs and sent off every player that dared make a tackle against them they'd win ever game by five goals at least so in reality they're already the best team in the league.

Archived