Football: Attempting to stay ahead (in your) City.

A Horse Named Stranger

I just woke up to see that Utd scored an injury time winner.  Terrible start to a weekend.  This is what I warned about during United’s crisis and Mourinho supposedly on the verge of being sacked: they may play poorly but they’ll still grind out enough points over the season.  I don’t think they’ll fluke their way to second place again, but they’ll get more points than their football deserves.

Bournemouth were the better side in the 1st half but we improved in the 2nd. We probably deserved to edge this one as we missed at least 3 or 4 big chances - definitely not as efficient in front of goal as we were last season. Important wins for us against Everton and Bournemouth especially considering that we have little to no chance against City away. 

Very watchable 1st half. Amazing that it's ended 0-0. Both GKs with fuck ups coming for crosses which they should have been punished for.

On the Mane offside: I think that the goal should have stood. He was offside when the cross came in but I don't believe that he interfered with play during that phase. The linesman was in a poor position (around 10 yards behind play) and just took a wild guess. 

The offside on Mane is getting all the attention, but given how close that call was, Leno and Alisson getting away with taking out Mkhi and Van Dijk when the ball had gone were the bigger errors. At least the refereeing is consistent.

24 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

On the Mane offside: I think that the goal should have stood. He was offside when the cross came in but I don't believe that he interfered with play during that phase. 

I think any situation where the keeper has to take into account what they're doing they're interfering with play, and that was definitely the case here. He couldn't close Firmino as quick as he might have because he had to have Mane in mind.

Just now, Raja said:

Xhaka so good today. Interested to see his tackles won, felt like he was coming away with the ball a lot. LT makes him better. Glad they're both our midfield pair right now 

Yea, Xhaka was great today. 

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Feel like he's moving the ball quicker/ taking fewer touches. Pretty solid performance, and man, it's hard not to love Laca ( who I had a lot of doubts over when we first signed him). Iwobi good too when he came on. 

Wolves have played better but Spurs have been ruthless with their chances. 2-0 down, I don't see a way back for Wolves. I didn't expect them to be this shit in the final third - 9 goals in 10 matches prior to this game is not good enough. They control possession and move the ball well up until the final third where they have just not been clinical enough.

Another case for VAR: Wolves just had a goal disallowed for offside when replays show the player was clearly onside. 

14 hours ago, Mexal said:

Yeah, he was. I'm amazed that, for large parts of the game, we were clearly the better team. The manager told his players they needed to win their individual battles, and that's more or less what they did. Makes all those drooling emojis last week look a little silly.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Fabinho doesn't look good as a 6 in a 3-man midfield. His positioning is always a bit off and spends a bit too long on the ball. He looks a lot better as an 8 in this system.

I think Fabinho will come good. It's a situation a bit like the one we have with Fred where both players clearly have the talent but have been guilty of sometimes holding onto the ball for too long and getting caught in possession. They just need more time to adjust to the pace of the league and come to terms with the fact that they will not have either the time or space to play in that they were afforded in France and Ukraine. Neither player has had enough game time just yet to properly make the adjustment. 

Archived