Scenario: How to quell Robert's Rebellion

Angel Eyes

Inspired by In Deep Geek's breakdown of Robert's Rebellion here:

You're Hand of the King to King Aerys II Targaryen. He has just had Rickard and Brandon Stark executed and sent for the heads of Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark. What's your next step? Raise an army and ride to the Vale to bring them down? Blockade Gulltown and White Harbor? Write letters to the rebel leaders and try and turn them against one another? Demand hostages? Or send assassins to the Vale (since that's where Robert, Ned and Jon were at the beginning of the Rebellion) and try to take them out, i.e. snipe them with crossbows or use poison?

7 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Why him? He was still green during the rebellion.

I wouldn't quite call Jaime green, since he had seen combat during the Kingswood Brotherhood campaign. In fact, I'd say that Brandon Stark as more green than Jaime, since the only time he's mentioned fighting was his duel with Littlefinger.

1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

I wouldn't quite call Jaime green, since he had seen combat during the Kingswood Brotherhood campaign. In fact, I'd say that Brandon Stark as more green than Jaime.

Well, in comparasion to other Kingsguards he is still green.

5 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Well, in comparasion to other Kingsguards he is still green.

True. In that scenario, send Gerold Hightower and Lewyn Martell to the Vale, and Jonothor Darry to look for Rhaegar? Besides, Aerys wanted to keep Jaime close by as a hostage against Tywin.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

You're Hand of the King to King Aerys II Targaryen. He has just had Rickard and Brandon Stark executed and sent for the heads of Robert Baratheon and Ned Stark. What's your next step? Raise an army and ride to the Vale to bring them down? Blockade Gulltown and White Harbor? Write letters to the rebel leaders and try and turn them against one another? Demand hostages? Or send assassins to the Vale (since that's where Robert, Ned and Jon were at the beginning of the Rebellion) and try to take them out, i.e. snipe them with crossbows or use poison?

It would be quite simple.

Use Jaime as a hostage to make tywin obey me (if necessary send pieces of Jaime to tywin so that he obeys).

Use elia and the kids as a hostage against dorne.

Promise jon con that rhaegar will depose aerys and let his "kids"(ned and robert) live.

Send a loyal KG with ashara dayne to ned stark saying that lyana ran away with rhaegar, that aerys will be deposed by rhae, that he can marry ashara (breaking the aliance with the riverlands) and that robert won t be harmed.

pay someone to accidentally kill robert

pray that I can find rhaegar and lyanna fast and make them do what I said.

For starters, order Tyrell to not have his army sit on their arses at Storm's End, and instead just let him command a token force to besiege the castle while Tarly has command of the main force to pursue Robert. 

Also, command Ser Arthur Dayne to return from the Red Mountains, and have him lead the army from King's Landing to pursue Robert. 

Had Dayne been leading instead of Connington at the Battle of the Bells with Tarly alongside him with a large force of Reachmen, the battle could have turned out differently. 

If not, the Battle of the Trident could have turned out differently with Rhaegar's army likely being at least double the size of Robert's. With Dayne leading the Dornish instead of Prince Lewyn Martell, he likely could have killed Lyn Corbray in combat and turned back his charge, crushing Robert's left flank. Tarly could have done likewise against Robert's right flank. 

Rhaegar could offer pardons for the rebels, with the implicit agreement of Aerys being forced to abdicate by calling a Great Council. 

Also, if Rhaegar still dies in battle, Dayne could have charged at Robert after seeing Rhaegar killed. One of the best knights in Wetseros going up against an already weakened Robert could have resulted in Robert killed, leaving his heir, Stannis penned up in Storm's End. 

Burn the Stoney Sept killing Robert before the Battle of the Bells. The figure head of the rebellion is dead and Tywin has no rebel leader to marry his daughter. Send Tywin a raven telling him your freeing Jaime from the KG and offer a betrothal between Cersei and Viserys so he'll send an army to siege Riverrun and other important castles in the Riverlands. With Storm's End about to fall and the Riverlands being raided by Tywin only the North and the rebelling Houses of the Vale and Riverlands will be a problem. Once you have the might of the Westerlands and the Reach more Houses in the Riverlands, Vale and Stormlands will defect back to the Crown if you offer them pardons. The North goes back to rely on the defenses of Moat Cailin. Send a fleet to blockade White Harbor and tell the Iron Born they have free rein to raid and pillage the North. 

5 hours ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Muster an army under the command of the Whitebull and Jaime Lannister to capture Robert and Eddard . Send ravens to the Dreadfort promising to name Bolton as the warden of the North if he supports the crown

Good start.  Make it a priority to get rid of the despicable Stark and Baratheon boys by assassination.  It would have been better to do this instead of asking for their heads though.

Rickard Stark deserved death if he was planning to challenge Aerys' authority.  I believe he was.  I'm sure some ambitious Lord in the north would love the chance to replace him. 

Get to Hoster Tully first.....the Tully marriages with the north and east is the alliance that breaks the throne, Robert is their figurehead. House Tully and the riverlords are historically loyal to the targs and the IT for 300 years, and Aerys had not yet directly wronged them in any way, if Hoster backs the IT the rebels fail.

12 hours ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Muster an army under the command of the Whitebull and Jaime Lannister to capture Robert and Eddard . Send ravens to the Dreadfort promising to name Bolton as the warden of the North if he supports the crown

Boltons at that time have been loyal for a long time. Besides, they are nowhere near the most powerful vassal, nor even the second one. At best they come after Manderlys and Dustins. Boltons had to wait for many other houses to become extremely weakened before they pulled their stunt in the novels.

Wow, who knew this scenario could play out so many different ways?    For my money, I think the point of no return occurred when Aerys killed the Lord of Winterfell and his heir.   That was such a fool bad move.   Aery's reign was already in very big trouble by the time the Starks visited Kings Landing.   Honestly, taking Aerys out is the only way the Rebellion could have been quelled.    The killing of more Lords and/or heirs wouldn't be likely to foster any affection for Aerys.   To take that one step further, I'm not sure how Rhaegar could have recovered power after that, Lyanna or not.    He was already in big trouble with Tully, Stark and Arryn at that point, too.   

I have to give props to those posters who dreamed up the idea of holding Jamie hostage against Tywin's cooperation.   I think Aerys did that in a way, by naming Jamie to the Kingsguard and assumed that's what took Tywin so long to join the party of Robert's Rebellion.   To send Tywin an ear or finger during the real trouble is just brilliant and diabolical.   

22 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Aerys would have to kill GRRM to stop Bob's rebellion

Make peaceful overtures to the Stark family.  Return the bones of Rickard and Brandon who both got executed for treason.  Promise to return Lyanna.  Just buy some time.  All the while, hire some faceless men to kill all of the Stark boys, the Baratheon boys, and Jon Arryn.  Wait for the hired assassins to get in position and carry out the deed on some predetermined date.  Friday the 13th.  Give Storm's End to the stewardship of House Thorne.  Burn Winterfell and give the north to another family.  

Aerys needs to send someone to Hoster Tully to point out that since Cat has not married Brandon Stark yet, that his house will not held accountable for anything the Starks do or have done so long as he is loyal to the crown.

At the same time, he needs to send an army up the Kingsroad to the Crossroads Inn to be in position to defend against any attack which might come from either the Vale or the North.  Meanwhile have Tyrell attack Storms End

Archived