Scenario: How to quell Robert's Rebellion

Angel Eyes

5 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

Aerys needs to send someone to Hoster Tully to point out that since Cat has not married Brandon Stark yet, that his house will not held accountable for anything the Starks do or have done so long as he is loyal to the crown.

At the same time, he needs to send an army up the Kingsroad to the Crossroads Inn to be in position to defend against any attack which might come from either the Vale or the North.  Meanwhile have Tyrell attack Storms End

Can't imagine how implicitly threatening the Tullys because they weren't part of the innocent group of fathers that was horrifically murdered could go well

13 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Can't imagine how implicitly threatening the Tullys because they weren't part of the innocent group of fathers that was horrifically murdered could go well

True,  carrot not stick  is a better idea. Hoster should have been awarded the Handship

8 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

Aerys needs to send someone to Hoster Tully to point out that since Cat has not married Brandon Stark yet, that his house will not held accountable for anything the Starks do or have done so long as he is loyal to the crown.

At the same time, he needs to send an army up the Kingsroad to the Crossroads Inn to be in position to defend against any attack which might come from either the Vale or the North.  Meanwhile have Tyrell attack Storms End

I wonder why Hoster decided to negotiate with the Rebels in the first place and have both his daughters marry two of their leaders. Since the Mad King has not personally wronged him, why not just cut his losses when the Mad King had Rickard and Brandon Stark and disavow them? 

Assuming I'm a Hand who A) doesn't want a war to happen and b) knew Aerys had gone mad, I'd put every resource possible into finding Rhaegar and Lyanna. Finding them is the only way to avoid a war. Convince Rhaegar to depose Aerys, give back Lyanna and profusely apologise for the good of the realm. Given his whole prophecy bend, I doubt Rhaegar would listen, but unless I'm spoiling for a massive war I'd go that route. 

On 10/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

I'm not sure that pointing out that the crown knows that Hoster has not done anything wrong, and that the Tully's are not guilty by association due to the actions of Brandon and Rickard, is an implicit threat.  The point I was making was by explicitly acknowledging the Tully's innocence, Hoster would not feel the need to align himself with the rebels to save his house.  

On 10/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, Angel Eyes said:

I wonder why Hoster decided to negotiate with the Rebels in the first place and have both his daughters marry two of their leaders. Since the Mad King has not personally wronged him, why not just cut his losses when the Mad King had Rickard and Brandon Stark and disavow them?  

Perhaps Hoster was part of the original plan to remove Aerys and he felt this was the time to see it through or he was afraid that because Cat was betrothed to Brandon that Aerys may either consider the Tully's guilty by association or that the Tully's would feel honor bound to avenge Brandon's death.

Find Lyanna and cut off her little finger.  Burn it.  Send it to Winterfell.  No words need be written.  Eddard will know what it means.  Order Eddard to stand down and ride his ass to King's Landing so he can kneel in front of Aerys and swear fealty.  Robert will have to die but it doesn't have to happen right away.  Set up a hunting accident.  Send him a prostitute with syphillis.  

Archived