What would Cersei think of grandchildren by Tommen and Margaery?

Angel Eyes

Say if Tommen and Margaery (and Cersei), and by extension Myrcella and Trystane, live long enough to sire children, what would Cersei think of them? I know that Cersei hates Margaery because of the prophecy, and was very angry about Tyrion arranging the match to the Martells, she wouldn’t go as far to commit kinslaying... right?

10 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Just replied in the other thread but I'll repost here.  She isn't above kinslaying in and of itself because she constantly tries to have Tyrion killed.  So I think it comes down to how she views the child/Marg in terms of a threat to her own power.

And what of any children by Myrcella and Trystane?

I think they would never get the chance to have children because prophesy.

A lot of the KL plot in AFFC makes more sense if Tommen was approaching an age when he could consummate the marriage, making Cersei truly paranoid. Also an older Margaery would show she has the makings of an active Queen.

As I also argued before, the mad Cersei's plan to kill Trystane makes also more sense if Myrcella and Trystane were coming to perform the weeding.

This was lost imho with the five year gap.

Just depends on whether she can manipulate them or not. A child of Tommen and Margaery would likely stay in King Landing so she would def try to plant herself as the future king's go-to. A child of Tommen and Margaery would just become a new battleground between Cersei and Margery (and by extension, Olena) unless Tommen stood up to her. Myrcella's children would probably stay in Dorne and be shielded from her, so I assume she would think less of them. 

22 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Say if Tommen and Margaery (and Cersei), and by extension Myrcella and Trystane, live long enough to sire children, what would Cersei think of them? I know that Cersei hates Margaery because of the prophecy, and was very angry about Tyrion arranging the match to the Martells, she wouldn’t go as far to commit kinslaying... right?

The birth and rearing of any grandchildren is a long way down the line - at least 10 years before the grandchildren can arrive and be shaped or politicised.  She'll only really care about any children Tommen might have as they will be in line for the throne after him. 

Hard to see why she would turn to killing her own descendants: her claim to power comes through their (supposed) Barratheon blood, not her own right.

Tyrion toyed with the idea of crowning Myrcella but Illyrio pointed out that to crown her was to kill her.  The only way I see Cersei turning on a grandchild is reluctantly if they were a Martell trying to oust Tommen / Tommen's children and get rid of her.

On 10/29/2018 at 5:55 AM, the trees have eyes said:

The birth and rearing of any grandchildren is a long way down the line - at least 10 years before the grandchildren can arrive and be shaped or politicised.  She'll only really care about any children Tommen might have as they will be in line for the throne after him. 

Hard to see why she would turn to killing her own descendants: her claim to power comes through their (supposed) Barratheon blood, not her own right.

Tyrion toyed with the idea of crowning Myrcella but Illyrio pointed out that to crown her was to kill her.  The only way I see Cersei turning on a grandchild is reluctantly if they were a Martell trying to oust Tommen / Tommen's children and get rid of her.

Tommen's 8 I think.   I'm pretty sure it would only be another 4 or 5 years off.  That's less time than we've spent waiting for TWOW.   

It's refreshing to read someone who doesn't think Cersei could let a child of Margaery's live.  The minute Marg pops a baby out there is absolutely no job left for Cersei.  Marg is queen and mother of the heir.   I wonder if she could sue for regency over her husband...mind boggling...

On 10/28/2018 at 7:44 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Ah I like this.   It's fun to speculate.   I still say she would take an Aerys 2 approach to Trystane's child--it smells Dornish and all that crap.   I think that could be a thing that would break her bond with Myrcella.  Maybe--it all depends on how utterly mad Cersei is when this happens.   If she comes to enormous power and still gets saddled with a son in law she doesn't want.    I hope the kids get married before they reach Kings Landing (probably not, Myrcella at least is still too young).   That will really upset Myrcella's mom.   If Myrcella died in that birth I promise the baby wouldn't make it to 1 year of age.   Cersei is mean and Myrcella's death would be 100% blamed on Trystane and his evil child who took her sweet girl.    Tyrion and Joanna, anyone?     

I don't think she loves Tommen more than Myrcella or vice versa.   I think she just hates Margaery more than she loves anyone.    Cersei is not particularly sentimental and wouldn't hesitate to rid herself of any obstacle in her way.   She is mean. 

6 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Tommen's 8 I think.   I'm pretty sure it would only be another 4 or 5 years off.  That's less time than we've spent waiting for TWOW.   

It's refreshing to read someone who doesn't think Cersei could let a child of Margaery's live.  The minute Marg pops a baby out there is absolutely no job left for Cersei.  Marg is queen and mother of the heir.   I wonder if she could sue for regency over her husband...mind boggling...

Why wouldn't she?  You may as well argue that she gets Tommen snipped.  The power struggle is between Cersei and Margaery: whoever wins that gets to shape the grandchild, absent Tommen becoming a more decisive character.  Medieval Queens could be and were confined to convents if they interfered too much in the governance of the realm.

Any child of Tommen and Margaery's is heir to the throne. Any murder of a grandchild / Tommen's heir shortens her window for wielding influence at Court as well as carrying the colossal risk that kinslaying / treason and murder entails, causing a rift with Tommen that leaves her estranged from her son (the King) and hugely vulnerable, as well as effectively ensuring the extinction of her House in this generation.  Not a good plan.

On 10/30/2018 at 2:27 AM, Lord Lannister said:

Honestly if Tommen's to have any chance of growing up and not turning into a terrible person, it'd probably be best for Cersei to be shipped off to Casterly Rock and have Mace or Randyll Tarly foster him while they rule.

That was Kevan's condition for becoming Hand: that Cersei also surrender the regency to him and pack herself off to Casterly Rock.  The equation has changed slightly but the major part of the solution - get him away from his mother - is the same.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Angel Eyes said:

And what of any children by Myrcella and Trystane?

In my opinion she would not see them as a threat while Tommen lived, and afterwards if Tommen had children and the her line was safe through them.  If that changed, so would her opinion of Myrcella and Trystanes kids.  If she felt safe those kids would be tools for her to use to gain power in Dorne.  But if they were her heirs she would feel threatened as always.

14 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

That was Kevan's condition for becoming Hand: that Cersei also surrender the regency to him and pack herself off to Casterly Rock.  The equation has changed slightly but the major part of the solution - get him away from his mother - is the same.

Yeah, I think Kevan was on the right track for stabilizing things until Varys did him in. 

I suspect Cersei would have killed poor Margaery long before that point. Tommen is about the same age (if not a little younger) than Bran. If by some miracle Cersei were to retain power in the six or seven years it takes for Tommen to be up to even attempting to father children on his wife, she probably would want to discredit Margaery as soon as possible. Kill her, if she could. After all, Cersei really does become redundant the moment Marg starts delivering babies for her husband.

Archived