NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

RIP Hue Jackson.

Has there ever been a coach in any professional sport to win less than 8% of his games, like Hue did? I mean even Rod Marinelli, coach of the 0-16 Lions, won 20% of his games. I think this is like Wilt averaging 50 ppg. We'll never in our lifetimes see anyone break this record. And to do it in the parity driven NFL is just *chef's kiss*.

Going 3-36-1 in your first 40 games has to be the worst start to a coach's tenure ever. Hue needs to thank his lucky stars that he had one 8-8 season elsewhere. Going 11-44-1 does get him to 20% if you round up, making him I believe the second worst qualifying coach in NFL history. 

13 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Going 3-36-1 in your first 40 games has to be the worst start to a coach's tenure ever. Hue needs to thank his lucky stars that he had one 8-8 season elsewhere. Going 11-44-1 does get him to 20% if you round up, making him I believe the second worst qualifying coach in NFL history. 

Hue Jackson has the second worst coaching record of all-time even if you include his 8-8 Raiders record.

The only guy with a worse overall record than Hue owned the team he coached for, and thus couldn't be fired.

15 minutes ago, briantw said:

Hue Jackson has the second worst coaching record of all-time even if you include his 8-8 Raiders record.

The only guy with a worse overall record than Hue owned the team he coached for, and thus couldn't be fired.

Yep. I heard it earlier today. I just couldn't remember the guy's name. 

2 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Google is being a real jerk too....

Yeah, I just couldn't bring myself to care enough to google it.  Just happy Hue's lame duck ass is gone.  It'll be even better once they clean house at the end of the year and get rid of all the worthless, ineffective, nonthreatening assistants Hue brought in the past few years more because they weren't competition for his job than because they were good at theirs. 

" The only coach who was worse was Bert Bell, who led the Eagles to a record of 10-46-2 (.179) from 1936 to 1941. And Bell couldn’t be fired because he was also the owner of the Eagles. "

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/28/hue-jacksons-record-ranks-218th-of-219-coaches-in-nfl-history/

23 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The only surprise out of Cleveland to me was Haley also getting fired.  From watching Hard Knocks I assumed that he would be the next coach. 

If Cleveland's offense wasn't one of the worst in the league, he probably would have survived.  But he's been as bad at OC as Hue was the previous two years despite a much better roster, so either he's just totally incompetent or he was intentionally sabotaging Hue to get him fired.  Either way, that warrants losing your job, even if no one deserved to be undermined more than Hue Jackson given his history.

I do think the original plan when they hired Haley was for him to be Hue's eventual interim replacement, but Haley was just so terrible that he got axed too. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Jags Former #3 pick Dante Fowler to the Rams for a 3rd and 5th Rounder.  The Rams are really committing to their "win now" strategy. 

Best time to do it is when your franchise QB is still on his rookie deal.

Ty Montgomery is now a Raven...for a 7th rounder in 2020!  

Ty Montgomery's final act in a Green Bay Packers uniform was a fumble that cost Aaron Rodgers a shot at a comeback win against the undefeated Los Angeles Rams.

The Packers shipped the running back to the Baltimore Ravens.

The return for Montgomery: a seventh-round pick in 2020, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Ouch!

4 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Ty Montgomery is now a Raven...for a 7th rounder in 2020!   

If I were John Harbaugh, I'd be tempted to bench him for a game for insubordination to his previous coaches.  What he did was just that wrong.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Best time to do it is when your franchise QB is still on his rookie deal.

Yup. The rookie wag scale was a game changer. If you can get a QB who can be top 10ish by their second or third year, you've hit the jackpot and have to go all in. Now, I don't think Goff is a top 10 QB, but they're so loaded everywhere else that it doesn't really matter.

As far as the WR trades go, the Cowboys look like fools. Cooper has the higher ceiling, but he's been a disappointment for a while now. I'd rather have Tate, especially at that value. 

8 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Yup. The rookie wag scale was a game changer. If you can get a QB who can be top 10ish by their second or third year, you've hit the jackpot and have to go all in. Now, I don't think Goff is a top 10 QB, but they're so loaded everywhere else that it doesn't really matter.

As far as the WR trades go, the Cowboys look like fools. Cooper has the higher ceiling, but he's been a disappointment for a while now. I'd rather have Tate, especially at that value. 

I think Dallas was desperate to get someone to help Dak and for some reason they always trade with the Raiders. Cooper can be optioned for 2019 where as Tate is a UFA this year. So a 1 for one and a half years or vs 3 for a half year. If Cooper looks decent this half season then Dallas likely signs him to a new deal.

Personally I don't like the trade at all, think a 1 was too much to give up especially since Dallas likely will be picking mid round or higher unless they really turn this season around.

20 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I think Dallas was desperate to get someone to help Dak and for some reason they always trade with the Raiders. Cooper can be optioned for 2019 where as Tate is a UFA this year. So a 1 for one and a half years or vs 3 for a half year. If Cooper looks decent this half season then Dallas likely signs him to a new deal.

Personally I don't like the trade at all, think a 1 was too much to give up especially since Dallas likely will be picking mid round or higher unless they really turn this season around.

Yeah, but the main difference is that we know Tate is good.  I have no idea if Cooper is good or not, and at best his QB situation has stayed the same or probably slightly regressed.

Archived