NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Can't imagine any team would have been dumb enough to give him another chance after the shit shows he's been a part of in both Oakland and Cleveland now.

The NFL works like a fraternity. Often times teams hire who they know, not the most qualified candidate. He'll never be a head coach again, but he can get another coordinator gig, especially as long as Marvin Lewis is in the league. 

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

Not like Goodell would even do anything other than a slap on the wrist anyway.  Not like Gruden got caught smoking weed.  Now there's a bannable offense!

More like the owners asking him why he's not just dancing with dat white lady.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

The NFL works like a fraternity. Often times teams hire who they know, not the most qualified candidate. He'll never be a head coach again, but he can get another coordinator gig, especially as long as Marvin Lewis is in the league. 

Yeah, I get that, but other than Marvin Lewis, who for whatever reason has a lifetime appointment as Bengals coach, why would any other coach trust Hue Jackson after this?  He's obviously a snake who throws everyone under the bus and never takes any accountability for his actions.  It's one thing to just skate by as a bad coach...lots of guys do that in the NFL.  It's another entirely to constantly undermine your front office and other coaches and blame them to the media.  

Can't imagine a head coach other than Marvin Lewis, who again is basically Bengals coach for life somehow, giving him a shot.  I sure as shit wouldn't trust him.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

If a player under contract with a team contacts a coach or team staff member then the recipient of the contact is required by league rules to IMMEDIATELY contact that player's team and inform them that one of the players under contract for their team is looking to offer his services elsewhere.

Failure to do this is tampering.

Figured it was something like that.

Solid win for the Bears, mainly on a string of good take-aways.  They did allow the Bills to finally score a TD, and the Bills were moving the ball decently on short passes for a while, but that just gave the Bears defense more attempts to force turnovers. 

Bears offense was ok, not great.  They got fewer possessions because the defense kept scoring.  Trubiskey had a bad interception but his throwing yards would look much better but for two long passes that were PI’d rather than caught.  

Good decision to rest the star pass rusher and #1 receiver.  Hopefully they’ll be healthy for the next two games against division rivals.  

Seahawks were outplayed by the Chargers, but still could have forced OT if that last pass was not dropped.  The pick-6 cost them the game. 

After several weeks of an improving run game for the Seahawks, it looked a bit predictable today and Chargers bottled them up, and Gordon was the more effective RB on the day.  Once Carson got injured Seattle were even easier to contain.  They scored TDs on their opening drive and late in the 4th, but in between there was a long stretch where they were toothless.

Nice win by the Saints.  Rams, Saints and Panthers are the only NFC teams showing real quality yet.  Very surprising that the Eagles and Vikings have regressed so much so quickly — it’s not like they’ve had terrible schedules so far or lost a lot of key players. 

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

It was pointed out that today's Rams v. Saints game could end up deciding which of them have homefield in the NFC title game.  Advantage Saints now.   Other than that I think one could argue that it was a pretty good loss for the Rams in that it was a very difficult road environment and they battled back to make it a game.  

Yeah, at 35-14 it looked like it might be a dull second half but they made it competitive.  

Both teams got a chance to scout each other ahead of the playoffs.  And there’s always the wildcard of injuries before they can meet again.  Will Brees at his advanced age (more than a year younger than me) tire or fade later in the season?

So, the media ruins everything and this week, it ruined a great march-up with Packers at Pats by invoking the GOAT debate between Rodgers and Pats.  Even though its not a boxing match where the two guys have to face off against each other, this was the stupid narrative.

The Pats defeated the Packers because the Pats are an overall better team, the Packers are not very good to begin with, and the Packers are hamstrung by having Mike McCarthy.  Brady looked great even without Michele and Gronk, getting stronger as the game went on.  Rodgers looked good in spots but at the end of the game he was listless going 2 for 7 on the last two drives for 20 or so yards.  Packers had one passing 3rd-down conversion.  Blah.  The Pats ultimately won a lopsided score, but it was going the Packers' way before another untimely fumble doomed them.  

I get that the Packers are not as good as their reputation, but they should not be this bad.  After the Pack lost a game to a guy fumbling during the kickoff.... they go and lose the game when a guy fumbles on a sure-fire go-ahead drive.  Think MAYBE McCarthy could have impressed on these guys the importance of protecting the ball.  Also, the plays they were running took so long to develop; third-and-long was too much the rule; and that O has not developed around Rodgers and that's McCarthy's fault.  

Also, Josh McDaniels supposedly said he was open to all coaching positions, including the job in Cleveland.  I swear to God, how dumb is the NFL?  McDaniels could get an offer so he can fuck over another terrible AFC team.  Also, he was a terrible head coach for Denver.  If McDaniels interviews for that job I want there to be a guardianship put in place over the Browns, the same way there is one when grandma starts drooling and we have to take her checkbook away.  

14 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Nice win by the Saints.  Rams, Saints and Panthers are the only NFC teams showing real quality yet.  Very surprising that the Eagles and Vikings have regressed so much so quickly — it’s not like they’ve had terrible schedules so far or lost a lot of key players. 

?

We’re exactly where I said we would be outside of the loss to the Bills. We had a front loaded schedule and we were missing our best player. Now were rolling despite having the worst offensive line this side of the turn of the millennium.

17 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Watching Peterman makes you do crazy things. He couldn’t even hit 200 yards on 49 pass attempts. 

Want to hear a crazy stat? The Peterman threw three interceptions and no touchdowns, and yet his career passer rating went up and his interception percentage went down from 11% to 9%.  

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

So, the media ruins everything and this week, it ruined a great march-up with Packers at Pats by invoking the GOAT debate between Rodgers and Pats.  Even though its not a boxing match where the two guys have to face off against each other, this was the stupid narrative.

The Pats defeated the Packers because the Pats are an overall better team, the Packers are not very good to begin with, and the Packers are hamstrung by having Mike McCarthy.  Brady looked great even without Michele and Gronk, getting stronger as the game went on.  Rodgers looked good in spots but at the end of the game he was listless going 2 for 7 on the last two drives for 20 or so yards.  Packers had one passing 3rd-down conversion.  Blah.  The Pats ultimately won a lopsided score, but it was going the Packers' way before another untimely fumble doomed them.  

I get that the Packers are not as good as their reputation, but they should not be this bad.  After the Pack lost a game to a guy fumbling during the kickoff.... they go and lose the game when a guy fumbles on a sure-fire go-ahead drive.  Think MAYBE McCarthy could have impressed on these guys the importance of protecting the ball.  Also, the plays they were running took so long to develop; third-and-long was too much the rule; and that O has not developed around Rodgers and that's McCarthy's fault.  

Also, Josh McDaniels supposedly said he was open to all coaching positions, including the job in Cleveland.  I swear to God, how dumb is the NFL?  McDaniels could get an offer so he can fuck over another terrible AFC team.  Also, he was a terrible head coach for Denver.  If McDaniels interviews for that job I want there to be a guardianship put in place over the Browns, the same way there is one when grandma starts drooling and we have to take her checkbook away.  

I commented to a friend in the 2nd quarter that McDaniels was auditioning for the Packers job.

2 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

not a Jets fan but its pretty obvious they need a new coach. how do you let your injured center keep fucking up the shot gun snaps? they need to bring in someone who actually knows what offense is. dude is worse than Rex was when it comes to being involved in the offense.

You literally could have Mad-Libbed the remainder of the sentence after "new coach" and found something completely rational to fire a Jets coach.  A few examples:

A Jets Coach needs to be fired because....

- ... a player punched the QB dead in the face;

- ... ran a play that resulted in the starting QB running into the center's ass, fumbling the ball and having the D score a TD;

- ... he's Rex Ryan.  

16 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

You literally could have Mad-Libbed the remainder of the sentence after "new coach" and found something completely rational to fire a Jets coach.  A few examples:

A Jets Coach needs to be fired because....

- ... a player punched the QB dead in the face;

- ... ran a play that resulted in the starting QB running into the center's ass, fumbling the ball and having the D score a TD;

- ... he's Rex Ryan.  

I think some Jet fans had hope at a wild card shot earlier this season. that hope is long gone.

34 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think every fan in Buffalo should show up in a Kaepernick jersey.  If I lived anywhere nearby I'd print a couple of hundred of them and sell them outside the stadium for $3 each.

Ummm... Do you know what would happen to you if you tried to sell Kaepernick jerseys in Buffalo?

30 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ummm... Do you know what would happen to you if you tried to sell Kaepernick jerseys in Buffalo?

I'd take my chances.  And kneel if someone tried to beat me.  That would send exactly the message I want to send.

Edited to add:  The recent news that the Raiders admit they gave JaMarcus Russell blank tapes for him to study for film review and that he came back telling them he'd done it is entirely consistent with the way he performed.

Talent - brains - work ethic = bust.

Archived