NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I just watched the Seahawks Rams game and saw Lockett giving the ball to Floyd Mayweather after he scored. Couldn't he find a kid or at least someone in a Seahawks shirt rather than giving it to a multimillionaire domestic abuser? :lol:

Unfortunately he got another game ball from B. Cooks too. Fucking ass-kissers.

The Rams/Chiefs spread is 64. The highest since 1986 or something. Gonna be a great game.

Big draft game tonight! Go 49ers!

"Hey, Bobby, do you have time to talk, son?" 

"But... dad, I'm busy getting the room ready for Tom..."

"I know you are, son.  I know that you and your mom have been working really hard making the house just right for Tom."

"Yeah, dad.  I am and its going to be so great."

"That's what I want to talk to you about, son.  See, you are all grown up now.  A big man.  Mom tells me you wash the forks and spoons all by yourself and you take care of Chopper Two.  So, as a man- a real man - I know you can handle really hard things.  You're my big boy."

"I am, dad, I am."

"So, son, I want to talk to you about Quarterback heaven..."

"Is that like doggie heaven where we sent Chopper One?  Where he's having a great time with all those other dogs... But That I can NEVER- EVER - go?"

""That's right, son.  Except, Quarterback heaven is, well, you can still see the quarterbacks, but they ... they.... 

"D-dad... what's wrong?  You have water in your eyes again.  Its like when mom told you about her special friend, Stan and when they were wrestling in the bedroom not wearing any clothes and you just sat in the living room doing nothing.... we went and got ice cream."

"N-n-n-no, oh, Bobby, you h-have ssssucch an active imagination... No!  I'm talking about Quarterback heaven and how we can still SEE the quarterbacks except that they won't ./... they won;t be PLAYING quarterback anymore.  Like with Tony Romo and Troy!  We see them holding the microphones.  You like then still, right Bobby?

"I... I guess... but dad... we don;t have to worry about that because we root for Tom Brady!  And he's always going to be around!"

"B-b-b-bobby! *sniffle* *sniffle* Its... its just that... y-you remember Jay Cutler, don't you son?"

"You mean Mr. Kristin Cavallari?"

"Exactly!  See, he;s in QB heaven.  And he plays with so many of the other QBs in QB heaven.  And ... and ...."

"D-dad... *sniffle* *sniffle* is... is Tom Brady going to Quarterback heaven???? NO!!!!!"

(Father and son embrace in tearful hug, both crying)

"Son, I know.  I know that this is going to be hard to say, but Tom is going to be with us for a few more weeks.  Maybe even another year... but ... but ...."

"But dad, Tom played just last week.  I know they lost and Tom completed like only 50% of his passes and he threw more incomplete passes than in any game in the last ten years and that he could not get any rhythm  with any player, including his binkie, Julian Edleman... but ... but .. he's ... he's Tom Brady!"

"I ... I know, son, I know that but... remember, you're a man now so you have to know that people we... we get old.  And athletes... even ones as powerful and as gifted and with such a strong jaw-line and perceiving blue eyes and beautiful shoulders that you can somehow picture squeezing you in a strong yet gentle embrace on the beach in Provincetown... even HE ... has ... has to go to Quarterback heaven... 

"H-how long???"

"Maybe this year maybe after ... we don't know son, but ... but soon."

"Dad... is Tom Brady ... is he going to be benched?"

"NO!  Son, no... no... no... see the good news there is that the Patriots HAVE a back-up QB who is ALREADY in Quarterback heaven." 

"I guess that's something, dad.  I just ... I just don't want to see Tom Brady end up like... like Peyton Manning!"

(Slaps son dead in the face) 

"Don't you DARE talk like that in front of me, you hear me!?  (Son starts crying hysterically) He's not like Peyton Manning, YOU HEAR ME!  He's not holding onto a faded career in sad desperation and getting on a team designed for him while the entire league still pretends he can play as a sad, faded shell of himself!  HE will play a few more games and we will maybe go to the playoffs.  You-you'd like that, wouldn't you son?"  

"I would but ... but ... how far are we going to go?  I mean... are we going to be able to beat the Steelers?" 

"I don't know son... I don't know."

"We can still watch games together right dad?  

"We can.  Well, I have to go son.  Just tell mom I will have her check next week." 

(*SCENE*) 

Basically, Tom Brady has had a lackluster season; he seems to be cooked and this may be the end.  The Pats have no discernible Plan B (not that I blame them) and they just lost to a team FILLED with Ex-Pats (heh) who loved every second of it (Dion Lewis said that the Pats deserved it for being so cheap... Lewis rushed for like 55 yards on 20 carries... like a world champ.  Butler and Logan Ryan played great (especially Ryan).  Also, why did Gronk look like he did not WANT to play?  

I feel like the Pats knew they would lose and did nothing to lower that chance.  About half way through the third quarter, everyone seemed to know the Pats had given up which is strange.  Even in the Lions game, the Pats seemed to have had some action the whole game.  Not now.  

Really shitty game played with absolutely no sense of urgency against a team that was nowhere near as good as the Pats.  The Pats now have virtually no chance to get the #1 seed and have every indication to lose the #2 seed if the Steelers stay hot.  

I say the above tongue-and-cheek, but everything we just saw is a precursor and a necessary precedent to the end of a dynasty.  I have been wrong before about that but its about as legit as it could.  

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The strangest thing for me is seeing the vast difference between Gregg Williams the defensive coordinator and Gregg Williams the head coach.  He's giving speeches without swearing constantly.  He's much more even-tempered.  He seems to be embracing analytics when it comes to game-planning (the Browns went for it on fourth regularly against KC and went for two repeatedly instead of kicking extra points, undoubtedly knowing that outscoring the Chiefs would be difficult and so they had to be aggressive) and he's seemingly cured the team's lack of discipline under Hue Jackson.  The Browns were averaging something like ten penalties a game under Jackson and I think they've had about four total the past two weeks.

I'm not a huge fan of Williams' defensive scheme, as I think it tends to be overly aggressive and thus easy to manipulate, but he's actually impressed me so far as head coach.  Perhaps that's just because he's average after two and a half years of the worst head coach in NFL history, but it's still strange because I expected ineptitude and got, at worst, competence.  Their offense is also humming with Haley and Hue's power struggle in the rear view and an OC who is actually tailoring the game plan around his players. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams has been prepared for this moment and had every possible advantage he could think of ready to make a good impression.

Which is exactly the kind of basic competence of ambition that maybe allows the Browns to not chew their own dicks of repeatedly.

Any dickhead can pitch a power struggle. Hue and Haley had no plans for what came after.

I mean fuck Gregg Williams with a box cutter, and that HC offers comment was embarrassing. But the guy does seem intelligent enough to try harder.

4 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

"Hey, Bobby, do you have time to talk, son?" 

"But... dad, I'm busy getting the room ready for Tom..."

"I know you are, son.  I know that you and your mom have been working really hard making the house just right for Tom."

"Yeah, dad.  I am and its going to be so great."

"That's what I want to talk to you about, son.  See, you are all grown up now.  A big man.  Mom tells me you wash the forks and spoons all by yourself and you take care of Chopper Two.  So, as a man- a real man - I know you can handle really hard things.  You're my big boy."

"I am, dad, I am."

"So, son, I want to talk to you about Quarterback heaven..."

"Is that like doggie heaven where we sent Chopper One?  Where he's having a great time with all those other dogs... But That I can NEVER- EVER - go?"

""That's right, son.  Except, Quarterback heaven is, well, you can still see the quarterbacks, but they ... they.... 

"D-dad... what's wrong?  You have water in your eyes again.  Its like when mom told you about her special friend, Stan and when they were wrestling in the bedroom not wearing any clothes and you just sat in the living room doing nothing.... we went and got ice cream."

"N-n-n-no, oh, Bobby, you h-have ssssucch an active imagination... No!  I'm talking about Quarterback heaven and how we can still SEE the quarterbacks except that they won't ./... they won;t be PLAYING quarterback anymore.  Like with Tony Romo and Troy!  We see them holding the microphones.  You like then still, right Bobby?

"I... I guess... but dad... we don;t have to worry about that because we root for Tom Brady!  And he's always going to be around!"

"B-b-b-bobby! *sniffle* *sniffle* Its... its just that... y-you remember Jay Cutler, don't you son?"

"You mean Mr. Kristin Cavallari?"

"Exactly!  See, he;s in QB heaven.  And he plays with so many of the other QBs in QB heaven.  And ... and ...."

"D-dad... *sniffle* *sniffle* is... is Tom Brady going to Quarterback heaven???? NO!!!!!"

(Father and son embrace in tearful hug, both crying)

"Son, I know.  I know that this is going to be hard to say, but Tom is going to be with us for a few more weeks.  Maybe even another year... but ... but ...."

"But dad, Tom played just last week.  I know they lost and Tom completed like only 50% of his passes and he threw more incomplete passes than in any game in the last ten years and that he could not get any rhythm  with any player, including his binkie, Julian Edleman... but ... but .. he's ... he's Tom Brady!"

"I ... I know, son, I know that but... remember, you're a man now so you have to know that people we... we get old.  And athletes... even ones as powerful and as gifted and with such a strong jaw-line and perceiving blue eyes and beautiful shoulders that you can somehow picture squeezing you in a strong yet gentle embrace on the beach in Provincetown... even HE ... has ... has to go to Quarterback heaven... 

"H-how long???"

"Maybe this year maybe after ... we don't know son, but ... but soon."

"Dad... is Tom Brady ... is he going to be benched?"

"NO!  Son, no... no... no... see the good news there is that the Patriots HAVE a back-up QB who is ALREADY in Quarterback heaven." 

"I guess that's something, dad.  I just ... I just don't want to see Tom Brady end up like... like Peyton Manning!"

(Slaps fun dead in the face) 

"Don't you DARE talk like that in front of me, you hear me!?  (Son starts crying hysterically) He's not like Peyton Manning, YOU HEAR ME!  He's not holding onto a faded career in sad desperation and getting on a team designed for him while the entire league still pretends he can play as a sad, faded shell of himself!  HE will play a few more games and we will maybe go to the playoffs.  You-you'd like that, wouldn't you son?"  

"I would but ... but ... how far are we going to go?  I mean... are we going to be able to beat the Steelers?" 

"I don't know son... I don't know."

"We can still watch games together right dad?  

"We can.  Well, I have to go son.  Just tell mom I will have her check next week." 

(*SCENE*) 

Basically, Tom Brady has had a lackluster season; he seems to be cooked and this may be the end.  The Pats have no discernible Plan B (not that I blame them) and they just lost to a team FILLED with Ex-Pats (heh) who loved every second of it (Dion Lewis said that the Pats deserved it for being so cheap... Lewis rushed for like 55 yards on 20 carries... like a world champ.  Butler and Logan Ryan played great (especially Ryan).  Also, why did Gronk look like he did not WANT to play?  

I feel like the Pats knew they would lose and did nothing to lower that chance.  About half way through the third quarter, everyone seemed to know the Pats had given up which is strange.  Even in the Lions game, the Pats seemed to have had some action the whole game.  Not now.  

Really shitty game played with absolutely no sense of urgency against a team that was nowhere near as good as the Pats.  The Pats now have virtually no chance to get the #1 seed and have every indication to lose the #2 seed if the Steelers stay hot.  

I say the above tongue-and-cheek, but everything we just saw is a precursor and a necessary precedent to the end of a dynasty.  I have been wrong before about that but its about as legit as it could.  

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, QB is our biggest gap to the real contenders, although Howard’s tepid production at RB matters too.  We’re pretty balanced otherwise, with the secondary and LBs growing as the season progresses. 

The +/- looks great for us so far but the Patriots are the only really good team we’ve faced so far.  Seahawks and Packers aren’t strong (yet) this season.  We haven’t faced the Saints, Rams, Chiefs, Steelers or even the Vikings.  Blowouts against the Bills and Bucs, while only losing by small margins each time, makes the numbers look good.  But the real question is whether we can clinch a close game against a good team.

Yeah I 100% agree with your assessment. 

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I just watched the Seahawks Rams game and saw Lockett giving the ball to Floyd Mayweather after he scored. Couldn't he find a kid or at least someone in a Seahawks shirt rather than giving it to a multimillionaire domestic abuser? :lol:

He won't be a multimillionaire for long. 

That was comedy gold. Can't stop laughing at this:

I can absolutely see an eight year old saying that. 

15 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams has been prepared for this moment and had every possible advantage he could think of ready to make a good impression.

Which is exactly the kind of basic competence of ambition that maybe allows the Browns to not chew their own dicks of repeatedly.

Any dickhead can pitch a power struggle. Hue and Haley had no plans for what came after.

I mean fuck Gregg Williams with a box cutter, and that HC offers comment was embarrassing. But the guy does seem intelligent enough to try harder.

Yeah, that head coach comment was dumb, although I think it was just him trolling.  

And yeah, he just seems like a totally different guy than as DC.  It's weird.  I watched him give a speech to the team after the Atlanta win without swearing.  I don't think I've ever seen that man speak two sentences to his players before without saying fuck at least once.  :lol:

If nothing else, this just makes his loud asshole act look even more fake than it already clearly was.

FYI, I still am pissed about the vastly superior 1980-81 Chargers having to travel to Cincinnati for the AFC Championship Game and play in absurd and dangerous weather, all because the AFC Central (yep) was soft as tissue that year.  Cincinnati and their fans cannot suffer enough, IMO.

That having been said....

From the Cincinnati Enquirer
" The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals are considering bringing back ex-Browns coach Hue Jackson to rejoin coach Marvin Lewis' staff. "

Even they don't deserve that.

48 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The cell networks must be close to shutting down right now sue to the amount of calls being made.... The Bills cut Peterman so there must be tons of teams vying to get him first!

Nothing like Belle of the Ball Hue Jackson.

Going to Cincinnati after they fire their DC.

4 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

FYI, I still am pissed about the vastly superior 1980-81 Chargers having to travel to Cincinnati for the AFC Championship Game and play in absurd and dangerous weather, all because the AFC Central (yep) was soft as tissue that year.  Cincinnati and their fans cannot suffer enough, IMO.

That having been said....

From the Cincinnati Enquirer
" The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals are considering bringing back ex-Browns coach Hue Jackson to rejoin coach Marvin Lewis' staff. "

Even they don't deserve that.

The freezer bowl is the stuff of legend, and SD was not vastly superior. That Bengals team was really good. Led by one of the best QB’s not in the HOF ever in Kenny Anderson. They came very close to beating Montana and the 9ers in the SB. 

And yes it sucks we brought Hue back. If he’s who we end up getting as HC after waiting Marvin Lewis our for almost 20 years it might finally break me. 

Hue Jackson to Cincy is comical. You can't write this stuff, especially after Hard Knocks. AFC North has been the biggest drama/soap opera division of the past couple years. If only we can get a Steelers/Bengals wild card match up... 

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Hue Jackson to Cincy is comical. You can't write this stuff, especially after Hard Knocks. AFC North has been the biggest drama/soap opera division of the past couple years. If only we can get a Steelers/Bengals wild card match up... 

If I’m a Steelers fan that’s the last thing I’d want. You guys look like a legit contender right now, and our games always take a toll on both teams. We already play the last week of the regular season, too. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

If I’m a Steelers fan that’s the last thing I’d want. You guys look like a legit contender right now, and our games always take a toll on both teams. We already play the last week of the regular season, too. 

I mainly meant that as tongue in cheek. Though it would be a fun game. Just hope we make it out of week 17 with all our limbs attached cause that's traditionally the week Burfict destroys one of our best players ;).

And who was it that said Hue would get hired by the Bengals in short order? Answer: ME!!!!!!

Also, we need to pour one out for The Peterman.

:bawl:

To honor the end of The Peterman’s career, I leave you with this stat: A.A.Ron Rodgers would need to throw 1,240 consecutive interceptions to have the same TD-Int ratio as The Peterman.  

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And who was it that said Hue would get hired by the Bengals in short order? Answer: ME!!!!!!

Also, we need to pour one out for The Peterman.

:bawl:

To honor the end of The Peterman’s career, I leave you with this stat: A.A.Ron Rodgers would need to throw 1,240 consecutive interceptions to have the same TD-Int ratio as The Peterman.  

Our grandkids may one day refer to the legend of Nathan Peterman

Archived