NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

40 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The amount of times I've heard this connection floated makes me wonder if it the collective will of all men and women that the dim light of a competitive Browns team be forever shuttered under Mike McCarthys shadow.

On the plus side, he's still a massive upgrade over Hue Jackson.

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

As is "not Hue Jackson".  The empty chair would be more effective.

I actually edited that post a few minutes after I made it to add, "Then again, they could just hire no one and it would have been an upgrade."  :lol:

Welcome boys.

Welcome girls.

Welcome Weeks, and Rhoms, and Jaime L's too.

It's time for the Midseason Meltdown!

That's right! In this inaugural installment Jace will arbitrarily determine the 'true' mid point of the season and Meltdown everything you need to know.

Warning: Midseason Meltdowns are not for everyone. Some symptoms have been associated with Midseason Meltdown including runny nose, neck aches, minor soreness, and massive internal hemorrhaging. You should not take Midseason Meltdown if you are pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant, as Midseason Meltdown has been known to cause emotional psychosis.

Alright alright alright! It's week 11 or thereabouts. Green Bay is done man, they're done. Stick a cork in 'em. Bye bye Mikey! Rodgers is probably gonna put his nuts on Brian Gutekentz's desk and demand the next coach know what to do with them. I wonder if maybe someone from Carolina might have the inside shot. The do a lot of nuts down there I think. Or was that just Jimmy Carter? How fucking bad are the Packers? Dude. Aaron shit talked his crappy WR's to the media before the season and people were trying to decipher whether that was a secret message about the lack of talent among his WR's and a shot at the coach. So I think we finally might have broken the enigma code here.

The difference between a franchise QB, a guy who might become a franchise QB, and Jameis Winston. I am of the persuasion that there exist at most five 'franchise' QB's in the league at a given time. We've discussed this before, but I simply believe the designation 'franchise QB' is given so freely as to render it valueless and restrict the tendering of such status greatly for my own purposes. At this moment I would submit as Franchise Quarterbacks the following names. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson. That's it. That's the end of that list. There's a lot of guys who probably totally deserve to be considered their peers, we shall reassess at the end of the season and talk about some of those claimants to the mantle later. So yeah, Franchise Quarterback. It's priceless, and so overvalued. Teams try to sell their souls either convincing themselves they HAVE one or trying to GET one. Just get a Quarterback! Preferably a good one! Try to find the best one you can but don't fuck over the team, jesus chryst have you stupid shits never played Madden or just daydreamed in traffic about how to construct a roster? This is basic shit. And I don't wanna hear about how some peter principal motherfucker has more authority by default as defense against simple critical thinking. Fuck you, and fuck Ryan Grigson and Chris Polian too. I ain't no Army Chief of Staff, but I can tell you why Conrad fucked the Austro-Hungarian deployment against the Russian Empire can't I?

Anyway, quarterbacks. There are lots of QB's who are almost or going to be Franchise guys or who are pretty good regardless. Those aren't the guys we are about to discuss. Let's talk about Jameis Winston. He sucks! Out loud! It's not even that he's a bad QB necessarily, he's just a bad athlete. He's a talented one, make no mistake! Guy is big and fast and strong. But he's clumsy and does ridiculous shit and he's not a very good QB to counteract the bad. See, Winston is like a slightly more comedic version of what a lot of teams trick themselves into buying. The hope of a Franchise guy. The delightful fantasy. Instead of getting a stable starter or a fresh face they lie to themselves that clear incompetents like Blake Bortles or Eli Manning or Winston just need that ONE THING or maybe ONE MORE TRY can fix it. But it's all a delusion. These guys either never had what it took or they lost it a long time ago. Then you have kind of the other side of the coin. Someone like Marcus Mariota. Who has played every bit as bad as Winston except arguably with worse Quarterbacking and better Footballing. Winston is a constant drain and negative on his ridiculously stacked offense, and has been since he arrived. Mariota, meanwhile, has been famously stuck in strange and outdated Exotic Smashmouth systems with receiving targets one might find less than inspiring. He throws a shitload of picks and never seems able to just force his team down the field for long stretches despite what is sometimes quite a robust defense usually keeping games close. But Mariota has displayed pretty consistently to me an ability that any football eye should recognize. The Titans offense always improves later in the game. And not in a garbage time sense, as most of their games are relatively competitive, or even the ground and pound you would associate with the team. No, it's Mariota who plays better. The offense still seems hopelessly constrained and all the routes seem crowded, like there's fifteen defenders and 3 guys running routes, but Mariota starts finding little seams and holes that let the Titans fucking claw their way on like 14 play drives that feature 10 passes and 7 completions. It's brutal. But they work themselves down the field pretty consistently. I keep an eye on AFC South teams, and this is probably the most consistent feature of any of the squads pending Houston continuing to enjoy an explosive pass game.

So what does that mean? The Titans and Mariota specifically get better late? Well, maybe it doesn't look like much. But to me it's like the precursor to the 'it' factor you want in a Franchise QB. A real one. What do the greats have in common? The true greats? They adapt to what good teams can do to them. How many times did Peyton Manning put like twenty-eight points on the board starting halfway through the third? How often does Brady come out of the half and just steamroll everything? Rodgers just starts making passes that are fucking ridiculous, ask the Bears sometime. Is that Mariota? Nah, no way. Not even close. But it's like that seed where you can kind of see a bit of green pushing its way through. And I think it's real proof of something. It bears remembering that around five to six years into the league dudes really do seem to kinda settle down and understand defenses and how offensive systems work. So you can understand why teams try to hold out hope with their inanimate seeds, overlooking all the signs of imminent disaster and inventing reasons to stay the course. But then you have a character like Mariota, who actually has pros to supplement his cons. And the simpleminded will attempt to conflate all situations as being equal. But in reality Mariota has traits Winston has never displayed. He can adapt to a good defense, he can rally his team consistently, and even if the wins aren't quite there the Titans are a relevant team and Mariota is easily the best Offensive player without Delanie Walker. So what does this mean? Does Mariota deserve 34 mil a year? No. I would actually think to pay him similar to what Bortles got last year, about 18 mil over 3 years. Now because Bortles got that he may demand more, but I would draw the line quite firmly at 19 mil and move on should need be after considering the franchise tag.

Tampa SUCKS. There's a curse on that defense. So much talent SAD. I think there's a legit 50 per cent chance that Ryan Fitzpatrick is Jon Gruden's QB next year and the ???????????? Raiders are a stunningly streaky offense. Think about that one for a sec. Really. Wherever the Raiders play next year, isn't Fitzpatrick exactly who you see running Gruden's offense? The ultimate journeyman veteran who can lead the charge or fall on his face climbing out of the trench. It'd be fucking beautiful

Poor Jon. He's so red!

I think the Broncos keep Case Keenum after this season, if only for financial reasons. The Chargers are a contender that I'll give a fuck about if they make the 5 seed... how long has it been? Has? Has it been like eight or nine fucking years? Holy shit, almost! They made it to the divisional round to get strangled by Denver the year Seattle won the superbowl. Other than that it has been nine years. Whatever.

AFC East is a joke. People who are making noises about NE just serve to strengthen the enemy's resolve. They will be the 1 seed yet. Josh Gordon rises in the East, and I fear that even the mightiest powers of the West cannot be his match. Belichick is gathering evil of all kinds to him. His monster of Gronkowski is rebuilt and soon New England will cover all the land in a sixth darkness. They are one, Belichick and the Lombardy. He is seeking it, all his will is bent on it.

Pitt is doing Pitt things, looking good in the process. I saw that perfect game, rape man. Nice. This is pretty vintage Steelers though, getting scorching hot. Can they sustain? Been a long time since Tomlin took a team to the SB. Was Brown even on that team? I don't think so. I'm tuning in to Baltimore on Sunday, can't wait to hopefully see Lamarr Jackson or even a combination of him and RGIII against that awful Bengals defense. Remember that Deshaun Watson 50 yard TD run last year when he looked like he was jogging? I actually walked away from that game thinking Watson was slow. I didn't realize he felt no urge to move expeditiously. Yeah! Jace wanna see.

Dallas sucks but can be dangerous if you're weak to their specific brand of mediocrity, Giants aren't tanking but they are just terrible so they should beat Oakland, Iggles kinda suck and Jace begins to wonder who was the mind engine of that offense, Washington is going to be a fantastic 4 seed for Seattle or Carolina to date rape.

I've only seen glimpses of Josh Rosen, but it looks like a guy with a fairly good grasp of a bad offense with shit players. He tries to work the ball into heavily covered Larry Fitz and others or dumps off to Johnson because there's nothing going on in the offense. It's utter bland nonsense. Chris Wessling said it best by invoking the Jared Goff rookie Rams or last years' Bears. It's hard to tell anything about anything in such aimless efforts. I liked Rosen more than I like either of the other guys so hopefully his coach is one and done.

Been a pretty good year so far and writing this I find myself in the new position of feeling resentful that Rodgers' talent has been so terribly wasted. At the time I cheered, as I've never liked the Packers. But looking back. There are only a handful of years left watching what is basically footballs equivalent of Herakles. Or Achilles at the least. I think about how this team should have face Manning's Broncos or the Pats in the Superbowl at least once over the years and I am left wanting. 

And so I damn Mike McCarthy. With all my heart and power I condemn him. Let the world know that McCarthyism and his stunted offensive system are to be considered antithetical to the needs and desires of the people. For even in their partisanship, the greater NFL fan knows that a strong Green Bay is needed to combat the greater Chicago and Detroit menace. To ensure that these woeful fandoms never taste success. The Minnesotans are all but helpless if left on their own, but the deployment of McCarthy's schemes against their coverage allows only for the heavily entrenched Vikings defenders to slaughter Packers starters. With this in mind I call upon you now, brothers and sisters of the football hegemony, to banish McCarthean night to Cleveland where it belongs!

Down with McCarthy! Down with Cleveland!

Browns want to interview Rice for head coaching job... Condoleezza Rice.

:stunned: 

Look... I’m a good little southern boy, registered Republican, who thinks Rice was a good Secretary of State, and was intrigued by the thought of her potentially being commissioner of the NFL... but... ummm... not to be racist... sexist... or whatever “ist” might apply... ummm... shouldn’t a head coaching candidate maybe... umm... and hear me out here... maybe they should have coached football before???

The cynic in me says this is a great way to grab some headlines and meet the Rooney rule at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Browns want to interview Rice for head coaching job... Condoleezza Rice.

:stunned: 

Look... I’m a good little southern boy, registered Republican, who thinks Rice was a good Secretary of State, and was intrigued by the thought of her potentially being commissioner of the NFL... but... ummm... not to be racist... sexist... or whatever “ist” might apply... ummm... shouldn’t a head coaching candidate maybe... umm... and hear me out here... maybe they should have coached football before???

The cynic in me says this is a great way to grab some headlines and meet the Rooney rule at the same time. 

I saw this just a bit ago and its so fucking absurd and clearly a publicity stunt that I absolutely LOVE it.

Seriously. Pull the trigger, Cleveland. I'll buy a Baker jersey and be totally on board. NO BALLS!

Waddaya doin' anyway? Think people are gonna make fun of you for letting your marketing scheme taking on a life of its own? Of course they are! But the people will also mock whomever you select. And this is a chance to really make history! Think about it. How bad can she be? Can she be Hue Jackson bad? Absolutely. But she can't be worse! Keep that in mind folks. She cannot be worse.

Sounds like Schefter may have gotten some bad tips today, because he also reported the Jags were looking to shop Jalen Ramsey this summer and they immediately came out and said it was bullshit too just like Dorsey with the Browns and Rice.

I wonder how hard Schefter takes a bad beat like that. Not to mention two of them. The Rice thing made me stop what I was doing for a second. So absurd. 

Side note as the Steelers game is on CBS: How do networks get the funding to make garbage ass shows like God Friended Me? 

1 minute ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I wonder how hard Schefter takes a bad beat like that. Not to mention two of them. The Rice thing made me stop what I was doing for a second. So absurd. 

Side note as the Steelers game is on CBS: How do networks get the funding to make garbage ass shows like God Friended Me? 

You're just jealous God didn't friend you.

I was traveling today and not watching games.  Was Alex’s leg really that bad?!!? :stunned: 

I hate that.  He’s one of my favorite players in the league just because I think he’s never really gotten a fair shake.

45 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I was traveling today and not watching games.  Was Alex’s leg really that bad?!!? :stunned: 

I hate that.  He’s one of my favorite players in the league just because I think he’s never really gotten a fair shake.

The hit that caused it wasn't as brutal as Theisman's but Alex Smith's foot got caught in the turf and he was rolled over the defender. When his legs were in the air, his foot flopped around at the ankle like a slinky. It made me cringe.

As far as the injury...

ETA: He is also undergoing immediate surgery. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/alex-smith-broke-tibia-and-fibula-undergoing-immediate-surgery/

Archived