NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

3 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Through 11 games, the Packers and the Browns have the same record through at 4-6-1. What a beautiful sight.

My hope is that the Packers continuing to suck kills any chance of the Browns hiring Mike McCarthy.  After all, doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense to hire a guy who is worse than your interim coach.  I'd rather just keep fucking Gregg Williams as head coach, because he's sure got this Browns team looking a whole hell of a lot better than the Packers. 

So just FYI, I looked over the Lions injury report pre-game and I just couldn't see them winning even against a backup qb.  So I went with the Browns over the Bengals :D.  I'd like to give a game ball to Hue Jackson, but Damarious Randall already did that.

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'd like to give a game ball to Hue Jackson, but Damarious Randall already did that.

Pretty cool to see Hue Jackson finally helping the Browns get some wins. 

Baker clearly misses the guy too.

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Should Houston not be in the discussion as a contender now?  They've got 24 unanswered at half, and if they win this they're on an eight game win streak.  Sure, offense not as explosive as NO, LAR, LAC, and KC.  But pretty good and that D is looking fearsome.  

Dude, did you see who they beat in that time? Which of the mighty teams they have a win over do you think is awesome - their squeaker over the Cowboys pre Amari, or their squeaker over the Redskins after Alex Smith got knocked out? They lost to the Giants. How did they do that?

I think they should be in the discussion because their upcoming schedule is stupid easy - they get the Jets, Browns, Colts, Eagles and Jags. They'll almost certainly make the playoffs, and then get their ass kicked by whatever version of Pats/Steelers/Chiefs they manage to run into. 

7 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Can anyone tell me why Cincy is seriously considering Hugh Jackson or is this some big joke that I'm not in on?  Why would anyone go out of their way to make sure they can hire this guy?  I'm not convinced he's quite as terrible as that career record necessarily, but given that record what possible reason could a team with an open slot have for going to him when they could look around the league?  Baffling.  

IT's mostly the fabled Cinci fatalism. 

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think they should be in the discussion because their upcoming schedule is stupid easy - they get the Jets, Browns, Colts, Eagles and Jags. They'll almost certainly make the playoffs, and then get their ass kicked by whatever version of Pats/Steelers/Chiefs they manage to run into. 

The Browns just waxed them in Cincy.  They're not the free win they were with Hue Jackson in charge.  Doubt the Bengals will be favored with Jeff Driskel in Cleveland. 

You know a team sucks when even Jeopardy trolls them. A topic was something to the effect of, things that could happen by 2030. One answer was the Lions making the Superbowl or winning a playoff game, some shit like that. Just another reminder that the Lions have a single playoff win in the last 61 years, and this year is pretty bleak.

@Jace, Basilissa curious on your Colts thoughts? Better than you expected or just think it's a mirage? Same for your boy toy  in Baltimore, he has had some ugly passes and some beautiful ones.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Browns just waxed them in Cincy.  They're not the free win they were with Hue Jackson in charge.  Doubt the Bengals will be favored with Jeff Driskel in Cleveland. 

Uh, who was talking about the Bengals?

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

While I was about to say they'd lost all three of those first games by a possession including @ New England (true), I am surprised upon review just how many squeaker wins they have as well.  Almost every one of their games this year has been one possession.  Now one might argue that a defensive team gravitates towards those kinds of wins a bit more, but yeah, it's not a great schedule, and given that there aren't any special wins.  

Yeah, and the games they played are not what I'd call defensive showcases either. 

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

Can anyone tell me why Cincy is seriously considering Hugh Jackson or is this some big joke that I'm not in on?  Why would anyone go out of their way to make sure they can hire this guy?  I'm not convinced he's quite as terrible as that career record necessarily, but given that record what possible reason could a team with an open slot have for going to him when they could look around the league?  Baffling.  

Because we have an owner in his 80’s that doesn’t want to deal with anything new. Hue has been employed by the Bengals multiple times as WR coach, OC, etc. Brown is comfortable with him, and knows he’ll toe the line. Same reason Marvin Lewis has kept his job for 16 years. Way back in 2003 Tom Coughlin basically declined the job because he wanted a real GM and an actual NFL sized scouting department. 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Because we have an owner in his 80’s that doesn’t want to deal with anything new. Hue has been employed by the Bengals multiple times as WR coach, OC, etc. Brown is comfortable with him, and knows he’ll toe the line. Same reason Marvin Lewis has kept his job for 16 years. Way back in 2003 Tom Coughlin basically declined the job because he wanted a real GM and an actual NFL sized scouting department. 

All these things being the case, I have no idea how that team has any fan support left at this point. 

NFL fans surely are the die-hardest of all. 

7 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

All these things being the case, I have no idea how that team has any fan support left at this point. 

Yea, it's pretty bad. We do it out of habit I think. I wanted to leave this year because I knew this season was going to happen with Lewis in charge but still ended up watching most games. Not as die hard as I used to be though and perfectly willing to watch Red Zone or other games if the Bengals are playing. I have to imagine if there aren't significant changes towards a new, young, innovative offensive coach next year, I'll get even worse, to a point where they're basically the Knicks to me.

15 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Other than those years in which Kap was making the Packers look really stupid, I haven't paid much attention to the NFL for going on 20 years.  Because the Niners suck.  Just root for them to lose to get a good pick.  And they're kickin ass at that!  Same thing with basketball, but unfortunately the Magic are 10-11 and were competitive with the Warriors last night.  WTF?

Archived