NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

God damn it .... I was going to start a topic with the title "We Hardly Knew Hue..."  ... well, you snooze, you loose, I guess.  

I just don't see what happened this year that they could not have surmised after last season.  Jackson was a bad coach this year, but he was so much worse in 2016 and 2017.  He has more wins now than he did after 2017.  

Apparently there was a disagreement on who to fire: Jackson or Haley and I am 99% certain that wherever Todd Haley goes there is ALWAYS a disagreement on whether or not Haley or the guy Haley is blaming should be fired.  The guy is a walking train wreck and he takes everyone down with him.  The strange part is the warping effect of "Hard Knocks" because he SOUNDED like a good coach.  Turns out, no, he's dumb as a brick.  

Poor Cleveland.  You lost two coaches in the span of 48 hours.  

32 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

God damn it .... I was going to start a topic with the title "We Hardly Knew Hue..."  ... well, you snooze, you loose, I guess.  

I just don't see what happened this year that they could not have surmised after last season.  Jackson was a bad coach this year, but he was so much worse in 2016 and 2017.  He has more wins now than he did after 2017.  

Apparently there was a disagreement on who to fire: Jackson or Haley and I am 99% certain that wherever Todd Haley goes there is ALWAYS a disagreement on whether or not Haley or the guy Haley is blaming should be fired.  The guy is a walking train wreck and he takes everyone down with him.  The strange part is the warping effect of "Hard Knocks" because he SOUNDED like a good coach.  Turns out, no, he's dumb as a brick.  

Poor Cleveland.  You lost two coaches in the span of 48 hours.  

The Cavs lost their coach when Lebron signed in LA. LA sports looking a lot better than NY sports at this time.

44 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

When in doubt, both.  Haley is out as well.

39 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Since the source quote is "Johnny, I hardly knew ye", replacing it with something that rhymes with "you" is just wrong.

RIP Hue Jackson.

Has there ever been a coach in any professional sport to win less than 8% of his games, like Hue did? I mean even Rod Marinelli, coach of the 0-16 Lions, won 20% of his games. I think this is like Wilt averaging 50 ppg. We'll never in our lifetimes see anyone break this record. And to do it in the parity driven NFL is just *chef's kiss*.

12 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

RIP Hue Jackson.

Has there ever been a coach in any professional sport to win less than 8% of his games, like Hue did? I mean even Rod Marinelli, coach of the 0-16 Lions, won 20% of his games. I think this is like Wilt averaging 50 ppg. We'll never in our lifetimes see anyone break this record. And to do it in the parity driven NFL is just *chef's kiss*.

I dunno, this may be a long shot, but Jon Gruden has all the power in Oakland, a roster he's strip-mined for draft picks, no evident talent for player evaluation or development, a ridiculous contract from a cash-strapped owner, and the kind of Dunning-Krugered belief in himself to hold it all together.

My favorite line from the story is:

The Browns lost to the Steelers 33-18 on Sunday after playing to a tie with Pittsburgh in the season opener. The past five Browns⁠' head coaches -- Romeo Crennel, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski and Mike Pettine -- were all fired after the second Steelers game of that season.

Quite the litmus test there. 

Just now, briantw said:

Yeah, two terrible coaches.  How awful for us to cut ties with them.

I mean that you were put into this ridiculous position in the first place; not that the coaches were fired, but that you had two coaches that SHOULD have been fired.

7 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

I mean that you were put into this ridiculous position in the first place; not that the coaches were fired, but that you had two coaches that SHOULD have been fired.

I mean, I can at least see the logic in retaining Lue this year.  Dude had been to three straight Finals and was basically running LeBron Ball and was constantly in Finals or bust mode his entire tenure.  I feel like you at least had to give him a shot to see what he could do with a different team that he was actually in control of.  They did that.  It failed.  So they fired him.  I can live with that decision.

Really the only defensible position on keeping Hue Jackson was if the Browns felt they couldn't have attracted any good candidates last year, and so they opted to wait a year.  And that, I think, may ultimately be for the best.  It means another lost season, but at the end of the day this Browns job might actually be one of the top job openings in the NFL for the first time in living memory, and should attract good coaches.  That absolutely wasn't the case a year ago when the season ended at 0-16.

Only potential opening I can think of that may be more coveted is the Packers' job, assuming McCarthy finally gets whacked.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I dunno, this may be a long shot, but Jon Gruden has all the power in Oakland, a roster he's strip-mined for draft picks, no evident talent for player evaluation or development, a ridiculous contract from a cash-strapped owner, and the kind of Dunning-Krugered belief in himself to hold it all together.

He's off to a great start by already getting rid of all of the team's best players (i.e.; the guys his current GM dutifully assembled) while replacing them with an impressive cast of has beens and nearly mentally breaking his QB in the process.  

The issue is he has a 10 year contract which means he's not likely to get fired soon and he only needs to average a 2-14 season to stay well above the Huedoza line. Plus he already has 1 win (over Hue) and still has games against the Cards and 49ers coming up. And of course there are still teams in the NFL willing to trot out Nathan Peterman, Blaine Gabbert, Brock Osweiler and Derek Anderson every single damn season. You can work so damn hard at this and still stumble ass-backwards into wins. Unless you're Hue. 

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

He's off to a great start by already getting rid of all of the team's best players (i.e.; the guys his current GM dutifully assembled) while replacing them with an impressive cast of has beens and nearly mentally breaking his QB in the process.  

Personally, I thought that Cooper trade was amazing for Oakland.  This draft is loaded at WR and Cooper is going to want to get paid this spring.  I just don't think he's worth WR1 money.  Getting a first for him was highway robbery.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Personally, I thought that Cooper trade was amazing for Oakland.  This draft is loaded at WR and Cooper is going to want to get paid this spring.  I just don't think he's worth WR1 money.  Getting a first for him was highway robbery.

Oh, agreed. Especially in a world where Josh Gordon goes for a 5th. Though I'm also not convinced Gruden uses that first round pick correctly if he can't understand the value of Khalil Mack. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Oh, agreed. Especially in a world where Josh Gordon goes for a 5th. Though I'm also not convinced Gruden uses that first round pick correctly if he can't understand the value of Khalil Mack. 

Yeah, trading Mack was dumb.  He's one of the best defensive players in the league.

But in a world where Jarvis Landry, a superior and far more consistent player than Amari Cooper, goes for a fourth and seventh, Cooper fetching a first is just absurd.

And I know Gordon went for a fifth, but there are obviously major factors to consider with him that impact his value in a negative way.  He's one failed piss test from being banned from the NFL.

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Signing Mack took Chicago a 6-year deal at $141M, $90M guaranteed.  Mack is a great player and I think if the Raiders had it to do over they'd have paid Mack ahead of Carr.  But once you have the Carr deal (5 years@$25M/per), hard to carry the Mack and still fill out the other positions. 

It is definitely easier to find a great OLB in the draft than to find a franchise QB.

49 minutes ago, briantw said:

And I know Gordon went for a fifth, but there are obviously major factors to consider with him that impact his value in a negative way.  He's one failed piss test from being banned from the NFL.

Just announced - Gordon will be benched for the first quarter tonight because of tardiness to a team meet-up.

Joshes are gonna Josh.  It is known.

2 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Just announced - Gordon will be benched for the first quarter tonight because of tardiness to a team meet-up.

Joshes are gonna Josh.  It is known.

Haha yeah I got that pushed to my phone like fifteen minutes after my post.  Couldn't have timed that better.   :lol:

Archived