NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Bronn Stone

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Has the emergence of Amari Cooper wiped away the last "good" thing in Gruden's first year? Suddenly it's not that he conned a high pick out of Dallas for a bust receiver, but that they couldn't get anything out of a real player, and are getting a middle-of-the-round pick at best? And now the Raiders' future rests entirely on Jon Gruden's crappy drafting history...

Impressive how Gruden built two contenders in the NFC. The Mack impact has been pretty clear from the first moment. I also feel pretty confident the Cowboys don't win 4 close games against the Eagles, Falcons, Skins and now Saints without Cooper. His ability to extend drives on 3rd down and his simple presence on the field opens things up for Zeke and has restored a bad offense to functional enough that that defense can now really exert its will. I thought it was a big overpay by the Cowboys but watching what he has meant for them, I'm shocked to say this, but the Cowboys actually knew what they were doing. 

So I wouldn't question Gruden's team building skills. He built the 3rd and 4th best teams in the NFC this season. I'm excited to see what else he has in store for the remaining 9 years on his contract. 

From Rotoworld/Twitter

Hunt addressed reports of this particular altercation back in August, stating he had "learned from it" and was focused on football. Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said in August that he didn't expect Hunt to be disciplined by the league. The franchise is now acting upon the release of the video to the public. ESPN's Dan Graziano suggests the most likely short-term solution is for Hunt to make the commissioner's exempt list, which would keep him from practicing or attending games until a final decision is made. Hunt could also be facing a six-game suspension under the league's Domestic Violence

They knew.  Only the public release of the video is spurring action.  This league is appalling.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

From Rotoworld/Twitter

Hunt addressed reports of this particular altercation back in August, stating he had "learned from it" and was focused on football. Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said in August that he didn't expect Hunt to be disciplined by the league. The franchise is now acting upon the release of the video to the public. ESPN's Dan Graziano suggests the most likely short-term solution is for Hunt to make the commissioner's exempt list, which would keep him from practicing or attending games until a final decision is made. Hunt could also be facing a six-game suspension under the league's Domestic Violence

They knew.  Only the public release is spurring action.  This league is appalling.

Yeah, the team and the NFL have almost surely already seen that footage if TMZ has it.  They probably saw it back when the incident happened, but as with most things (aside from kneeling for the anthem), they just swept it under the rug and forgot about it until today.  Now the public backlash will force them to do what they should have done back in February. 

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

They knew.  Only the public release is spurring action.  This league is appalling.

Of course they did. Do you realize how much security these teams have? I'm guessing each team has a crew of fixers too. 

This situation is tricky. The police saw the video and didn't arrest him. If the legal system didn't deem it worthy of a night in jail, what should the NFL do? It's why they likely made a mistake by wading into these waters in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, the team and the NFL have almost surely already seen that footage if TMZ has it.  They probably saw it back when the incident happened, but as with most things (aside from kneeling for the anthem), they just swept it under the rug and forgot about it until today.  Now the public backlash will force them to do what they should have done back in February. 

Kaep juxtaposed with Reuben Foster is so telling. The latter who has mutliple accusations of domestic violence took two days to get a new job. The former who spoke out against police violence has been unemployed for two years. 

As to what will happen, he'll get six games, appeal and sever them at the beginning of next year. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Kaep juxtaposed with Reuben Foster is so telling. The latter who has mutliple accusations of domestic violence took two days to get a new job. The former who spoke out against police violence has been unemployed for two years. 

As to what will happen, he'll get six games, appeal and sever them at the beginning of next year. 

To be fair, only one team put in a waiver claim for Foster, and it was the team owned by Dan Snyder, who is a remorseless piece of shit.

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

To be fair, only one team put in a waiver claim for Foster, and it was the team owned by Dan Snyder, who is a remorseless piece of shit.

To be fair, we also don't know how many teams would have scooped up Foster on a cheapo contract after passing waivers. Washington were the only ones willing to pay him his first-round-pick salary, which is so on brand for Daniel Snyder.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

To be fair, we also don't know how many teams would have scooped up Foster on a cheapo contract after passing waivers. Washington were the only ones willing to pay him his first-round-pick salary, which is so on brand for Daniel Snyder.

That's true.  He probably would have ended up somewhere else eventually, although other teams might have at least waited until he was no longer suspended by the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And to be fair, what NFL owner isn't actually a horrific person? I know my team is run by crooked slumlords who blackmailed the state. I was an intern at the Capitol at the time. Fun times......

Eh, Mike Brown is the most inept owner in all of professional sports, but he’s not a terrible human being or anything. Neither was Paul Brown before him. 

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Of course they did. Do you realize how much security these teams have? I'm guessing each team has a crew of fixers too. 

This situation is tricky. The police saw the video and didn't arrest him. If the legal system didn't deem it worthy of a night in jail, what should the NFL do? It's why they likely made a mistake by wading into these waters in the first place. 

Yea. This happened in like February, the police investigated, took statements, saw the videos and did nothing about it. The team and league also did nothing about it when it was reported by multiple outlets when it happened. Now the video is public and all of a sudden it's a big deal. Either do something in the first place or don't but this reactive, instant media / public uproar shit that dictates league policy annoys the hell out of me.

9 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Eh, Mike Brown is the most inept owner in all of professional sports, but he’s not a terrible human being or anything. Neither was Paul Brown before him. 

We can't all be Jim Irsay!!! 

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea. This happened in like February, the police investigated, took statements, saw the videos and did nothing about it. The team and league also did nothing about it when it was reported by multiple outlets when it happened. Now the video is public and all of a sudden it's a big deal. Either do something in the first place or don't but this reactive, instant media / public uproar shit that dictates league policy annoys the hell out of me.

Agreed, and it's precisely what ended Ray Rice's career. Act appropriately on the front end. Don't overreact after the video leaks because all you really care about is covering your ***. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And to be fair, what NFL owner isn't actually a horrific person? I know my team is run by crooked slumlords who blackmailed the state. I was an intern at the Capitol at the time. Fun times......

I am just glad Dallas has some depth at LB right now because Jerrah loves to pick people with issues up.

As to the game last night, in the Pick em league i had 11 points on it but changed it to 4 points before leaving for work after drinking some Dallas hype kool aid. Didn't drink enough kool aid to actually pick Dallas, just to hedge it a little.

Archived