Bronn Stone

NFL 2018 IV: A Hue, A Cry and now Goodbye

Baker Mayfield spent the week talking trash and today he's thrown 3 picks in the first half. I love me some karma.

No sense of urgency by Luck or anyone else. Yeesh

Only the Giants.

Edited by Ramsay B.

After clawing their way back to OT, Bears lose because Daniels fumbled three times in their OT series.  He recovered them all but the loss of yards each time killed the drive.  Not to mention Daniels’ interceptions too.  Resting Trubiskey for another week seemed like a reasonable risk but it didn’t pay off.

Disappointing loss though.  Just like the Dolphins’ game: narrow OT loss on the road against a team we probably should have beaten. 

Giants have improved in recent weeks.  Their line is better, they got good cover from CBs, and they can rely on Barkley. 

No disaster though.  Bears are still on course for either a division win or wild card, and they’re still not good enough at QB or WR or ruthless enough (pass rush just disappears sometimes) to beat the good teams in the play-offs.

Seahawks game isn’t available for me to watch.  They seem to be doing OK so far. 

Big day for the Niners and their #1 pick hopes.  Cards beat the Pack, Giants beat the Bears, Jags beat the Colts, Bucs beat the Panthers, and the Jets are up 16-0 on the Titans right now.  If the Jets can win and the Niners lose, that means only the Cards will have three wins, with the Niners and Raiders tied at 2 wins.  Good to see a final Bay Area battle.  Anyway, J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets!!

McCarthy fired.  I like how this thread started with Jackson being KO'd and ends with McCarthy getting canned.  

One last thing though- I think a solid argument could be made that Rodgers has been underwhelming this season- he does not make the in-stride throw anymore.  He does not thread the needle anymore.  He is missing open receivers.  There was a peice this apst week that illustrated this.  There is a greater-than-zero-percent chance that Rodgers is as responsible for the Packers mess as anyone. 

I still think McCarthy was horrendously overrated.  This will likely be a good firing.  

7 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

McCarthy fired.  I like how this thread started with Jackson being KO'd and ends with McCarthy getting canned. 

Symmetry!  Jets blew it at the end.  Totally jinxed it, dang nabbit.

29 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

One last thing though- I think a solid argument could be made that Rodgers has been underwhelming this season- he does not make the in-stride throw anymore.  He does not thread the needle anymore.  He is missing open receivers.  There was a peice this apst week that illustrated this.  There is a greater-than-zero-percent chance that Rodgers is as responsible for the Packers mess as anyone. 

I still think McCarthy was horrendously overrated.  This will likely be a good firing.  

I can definitely concede that Rodgers hasn't been as good as usual this year.  Hard to tell how much of that is the injury from week 1.  Buck and Aikman on the Pats broadcast seemed to think McCarthy was getting done wrong, but today's loss on paper is really something.  Before today you could have argued that for all Green Bay's troubles they were still near unbeatable at home, so to lose at home to Arizona of all teams...oy.  

I think it's worth rolling the dice on a new coach at this point.  As solid as Green Bay has been in making the playoffs during the Rodgers era to miss it this year and possibly miss it by several games is really inexcusable.  And other than their Super Bowl run they have some really disappointing playoff appearances under McCarthy whether it's getting absolutely blown out by San Fran or losing at home to Eli or blowing a big lead to lose the NFC title game to Seattle. 

I don't understand firing McCarthy at this point unless you think you have the next coach on staff and want to see what he can do, or, your team comes to you and wants McCarthy gone.

Lots of upsets again this week...

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

I don't understand firing McCarthy at this point unless you think you have the next coach on staff and want to see what he can do, or, your team comes to you and wants McCarthy gone.

You fire him if the team has quit on him, and the Packers (or at least Rodgers) sure seem to have. Just a couple of days ago Sports Illustrated posted a long article about how sick they were of each other.

16 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Or....

.... you think McDaniels (or another head-coach-in-waiting) is available.  

Though I tend to agree with Dante Gabriel that if you think the team quit on McCarthy, you have to pull him.  

38 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Gives you a head start on searching for the next coach.  Once you fire your coach, you can start talking to candidates openly.  You can't do that when you still have your head coach under contract.

Edited by briantw

Nice SI article.  Was not aware of that before.  

Dungy was also pretty defensive towards McCarthy on the broadcast tonight saying you don't treat a Super Bowl winning coach this way.  I am surprised actually that they fired him mid-season even though I thought he looked very likely to be fired at the end of the year and then after losing today I thought that was solidified.  But firing him right after a game like this does feel pretty unconventional.  

1 minute ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

My god that false start

I have never seen a false start that obvious get missed before.

12 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I have never seen a false start that obvious get missed before.

Looks like McCarthy isn't the only one getting fired this week.