Darkstar POV

Legitimate_Bastard

4 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Yeah but why send it to Jon? He's no Dayne. Charge him with finding little Edric perhaps but not Jon.

Hi. That Jon will wield one day Dawn is almost a certainty. How would it happen is more nebulous.

Will Jon travel to Starfall looking for clues about his mother? 

Or will be the Daynes who will look for him upon hearing the fall of the Wall and the time for Dawn has arrived?

I've no idea.

But I think that sending Hotah to hunt Darkstar has the purpose to link the Daynes and Jon stories. Remember, GRRM is taking out the POV who reports on Doran to us, exactly when things are getting interesting in the Dorne subplot. It means there is something even more important that needs to be told.

On 10/29/2018 at 3:39 PM, Darion Storm said:

While we’re on the subject of ‘no new POV characters’ all I’ve been able to find is people saying ‘GRRM said there will be no POV characters’ except for one person saying it was a quote from a convention in 2007?

Surely there must be more evidence for people to be so sure about it?

Well just so happens that one of my very 1st topics here was over in the TWOW subforum about the POVs being culled in TWOW.   Martin gave an interview in 2013 which is actually linked in that old topic...or was...it's so old it may not even be around anymore...to a French (I believe) magazine where he muses over the many POVs that were created for specific purposes, like Mel suddenly being our eyes at the Wall when we are unable to read Jon's thoughts.   Gads, it's been so long, but if you count Varys as a POV (epilogue, ADWD), I think there are 21 living or close to living POVs.    The quote from that article was something to the effect of maybe whittling the POVs down to 13.  But it was not a definite statement.   13 struck me as rather arbitrary in context.  Guessing who lives or dies or how couples or groups of people combine into a single POV and which one is a fascinating exercise.  13 POVs is really harsh.  

Characters are intersecting.  Do we really need to read Jamie and Brienne's thoughts while they are in the same place?   How about Theon and Asha?  Victarion, Tyrion and Barristan?  Martin took strides in ADWD to put this into effect in both AFFC and ADWD.   Though I'm not sure how to get this story down to just 13 POVs I will not be surprised if it happens beginning in TWOW.   

14 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

House Dayne has fascinated me since my first read through AGOT. I focus way too much on the words Arthur spoke to Ned, and Ned to Arthur. Edric seems too young to shed any light on any of it so I cling to Darkstar in hope of learning more about that whole side of the story.

I am probably going to be in for a huge disappointment but I feel there just has to be so much more to the ToJ, Rhaegar + TPTWP prophecy, Howland Reed, Jons mother etc etc etc.

Doran calls him the most dangerous man in Dorne. 

I just feel like it will be bigger than we all think. Personally, the build up of mystery around House Dayne is one of the points that keeps me coming back.

We could learn it all from another POV, sure. But it would be very gratifying for me to hear it from the mouth of a Dayne.

I will probably be wrong, and sorely disappointed - who knows.

We may not need a new POV to put the Gerold Dayne piece together.  We already have lots of interesting pieces about various Daynes.  Our 1st Dayne is Arthur, knight of legend and Sword of the Morning.  I believe we get the captivating Ashara next and curiously again really late in the story as seen through Barristan Selmy's eyes.   We get even more Ashara in Meera's recounting of the Knight of the Laughing Tree.  We get a really interesting "could fit" character in current tale who could possibly be Ashara, whose body was never found after she threw herself from the tower.  She's a thing every bit as much as he was.  We meet young Edric in ASOS who was written to make us want more Dayne with all his validation of old rumors regarding Jon Snow's maternity.   His absence is even explained.   Martin has got us keeping our fingers on the pulse of this family.  

I misquoted Martin once in repeating something that was a forum rumor, but never said by GRRM.   He gets a ton of questions about this family, but keeps a very tight lock on what information he allows out.   But there is Dark Star and that oh so very curious little blurb in the World Book about Vorian Dayne, Sword of the Evening.  The precious little bit about the Daynes in AWOIAF is utterly fascinating.   Take for instance, that Starfall, the castle, is built of the celestial material that fell on the spot they made their home.  It's made of a pale stone.   No kidding.  

So don't despair over not getting Dark Star's POV.   We can learn a lot about him and hopefully his family from other characters in Small Council meetings.  The mysteries are what keep us talking!   

15 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I have to ask, why are you so interested in Gerold Dayne anyway? He didn't seem all that interesting to me. The only thing I want from him is to lead Areo Hotah on a chase to Starfall, that way we can have a POV in Starfall and hopefully find out more on House Dayne. 

I read an interview with Martin who was surprised at readers' reactions to Dark Star.   Presumably, we were supposed to think Gerold Dayne was really cool.  He's interesting to me because he is a Dayne and obviously jealous of Arthur and that Sword of the Evening deal.  Doran is setting him up for something.  I admit he has become more interesting as I read and learn more, but he's still not as interesting as Edric Dayne.     Look forward to an interesting and revealing ride with this guy.   

6 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I read an interview with Martin who was surprised at readers' reactions to Dark Star.   Presumably, we were supposed to think Gerold Dayne was really cool.  He's interesting to me because he is a Dayne and obviously jealous of Arthur and that Sword of the Evening deal.  Doran is setting him up for something.  I admit he has become more interesting as I read and learn more, but he's still not as interesting as Edric Dayne.     Look forward to an interesting and revealing ride with this guy.   

Really? Huh, I mean its not that I think him cringe worthy like alot of people, but the man was in one chapter and had about five lines of dialogue. I'm more interested in the possible information he can provide us rather then the character himself. 

6 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I read an interview with Martin who was surprised at readers' reactions to Dark Star.   Presumably, we were supposed to think Gerold Dayne was really cool. 

Wouldn't that be because we get to see Darkstar mostly from Arianne's POV who thinks he's the hot stuff? )))

Archived