What is Jon Snow capable of: Protector of North, King of Westeros, Dany's consort or Hand of the King?

2 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

What is Jon Snow capable of: Protector of North, King of Westeros, Dany's consort or Hand of the King?

Saviour of the World?

The first book jacket twenty years ago stressed the mystery of the long winters was what needed a resolution, so I expect he'll be used for solving and addressing the root of that problem, but could very well fail.

Protector of the North? If he stops the Others I'd say that makes him the Protector of the World. I feel like Jon Snow will be one of those people who in a thousand years time, people look back on and either see him as an exaggerated hero like Azor Ahai, or an exaggerated villain like the Night's King. 

I cant see him becoming the King of Westeros or anything like that, it just seems like too much of a fairy tale ending for ASOIAF. 

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Jon couldn't even successfully manage a thousand or so Night's Watch men and their politics. He doesn't have the bend necessary for it, so I'm not sure giving him a larger position would be doing anyone any favors.

Biased opinion much? What leader at this point is doing successful? Jon was doing a good job and fell victim to the prejudice and xenophobia of some of the NW members.

I think at the end of the day, if he does not stay as LC of the NW, I think he will want nothing more than what his (adoptive) father always wanted - To live in peace and relative isolation at Winterfell. So, out of the options, Protector of the North. 

7 hours ago, Starkz said:

Biased opinion much? What leader at this point is doing successful? Jon was doing a good job and fell victim to the prejudice and xenophobia of some of the NW members.

It shouldn't take a political mastermind to figure out that helping the wildlings, whom they've fought for at least hundreds of years and directly involving the watch in the politics of the North is going to make some people mad.  But I do like that having a different opinion than you do demonstrates my bias.

15 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

If R+L=J, he is King in his own right. No need to be a consort.

You're right, still don't think it will happen though, it seems like too much of a fairy tale ending. Its been said that the ending for ASOIAF is going to be bittersweet, presuming Jon becoming King of the 7 Kingdoms would be the sweet, I feel like something of equal, if not more bitter needs to happen in exchange. Maybe Jon becomes King of the 7 Kingdoms, but everyone he has ever loved has died, and now he's stuck in Kings Landing with a position and a wife he doesn't want, Essentially he has everything yet nothing at the same time. 

8 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

You're right, still don't think it will happen though, it seems like too much of a fairy tale ending. Its been said that the ending for ASOIAF is going to be bittersweet, presuming Jon becoming King of the 7 Kingdoms would be the sweet, I feel like something of equal, if not more bitter needs to happen in exchange. Maybe Jon becomes King of the 7 Kingdoms, but everyone he has ever loved has died, and now he's stuck in Kings Landing with a position and a wife he doesn't want, Essentially he has everything yet nothing at the same time. 

Oh I agree 100%. I will be flabbergasted if he ends up King of all. I reckon we will get the 7 independent kingdoms again. Maybe more than 7 if you include beyond the wall, which for some reason I think will be included.

Jon may have the opportunity to take it all, but if he does I think he will decline and become LC of NW, or Warden of the North.

He may just stay dead. Wouldn't that have everyone in a mess~!

5 hours ago, wia said:

Why should the one organization that's actually needed be gone. For all we know kings and lords will be gone.

If the Others are defeated and the Wildlings have came through the Wall, than what is the point of the NW anymore? Furthermore the AoTD could kill them all.

1 minute ago, Starkz said:

If the Others are defeated and the Wildlings have came through the Wall, than what is the point of the NW anymore? Furthermore the AoTD could kill them all.

Well they were already defeated 8,000 years ago once - the NW continued to exist. We don't really know if it's at all possible to completely eradicate them.

51 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

It shouldn't take a political mastermind to figure out that helping the wildlings, whom they've fought for at least hundreds of years and directly involving the watch in the politics of the North is going to make some people mad.  But I do like that having a different opinion than you do demonstrates my bias.

Singling out one specific character, claiming he shouldn’t have a position of power due to the mutiny i.e “lack of success”, is incredibly bias. You’re neglecting how worse off every other leader is doing and everything he’s done. Furthermore, Jon was successfully leading the NW and fell prey to the prejudice NW members, how does that make you “unsuccessful”? Every leader ever has had people that didn’t like them and stood against them. Obviously Jon knew the NW wouldn’t like the Wildlings coming through the Wall, but what choice did he have? Let them all die and turn to wights, or save them by bringing them through? If not evident by Marsh second guessing every single decision Jon made, Jon knew Marsh didn’t like him/what he was doing. You’re neglecting every single thing Jon has done and basing his performance as a leader based on how his last chapter ended, that’s called being biased. Ceaser was one of the best leaders Rome had, because he was killed doesn’t change that fact.

7 minutes ago, wia said:

Well they were already defeated 8,000 years ago once - the NW continued to exist. We don't really know if it's at all possible to completely eradicate them.

I don’t really believe the Others were defeated, I think a pact/truce was made with them. I don’t think GRRM would end the series in such an ominous form with some WW or Others still existing. That just sets up the story being an endless loop doomed to repeat itself. Though that would be an interesting way to end, I just don’t see it happeneing.

28 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Oh I agree 100%. I will be flabbergasted if he ends up King of all. I reckon we will get the 7 independent kingdoms again. Maybe more than 7 if you include beyond the wall, which for some reason I think will be included.

Jon may have the opportunity to take it all, but if he does I think he will decline and become LC of NW, or Warden of the North.

He may just stay dead. Wouldn't that have everyone in a mess~!

Yeah at most I could see him becoming either Warden of the North, The King of Winter, or Regent to Rickon. 

Him staying dead would be the biggest twist of all.  xD

1 minute ago, Starkz said:

I don’t really believe the Others were defeated, I think a pact/truce was made with them. I don’t think GRRM would end the series in such an ominous form with some WW or Others still existing. That just sets up the story being an endless loop doomed to repeat itself. Though that would be an interesting way to end, I just don’t see it happeneing.

I think GRRM made it pretty clear that the story is an endless loop with all the repeating events throughout the history.

What I don't see happening is 'good' winning over the evil, the restoration of Targaryens, people suddenly wanting Jon to be the king of Westeros 'cause of R+L, peace and happiness and all other Dysney-style endings. Doesn't seem to fit ASOIAF at all imo.

What I see as a bitter-sweet ending is that some sort of victory will be achieved at the cost of many lives, yet the danger is always there and defeating the Others doesn't really fix any of the existing social problems because the cause of those problems is human nature, not some ice zombies. 

Archived