College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

12 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

ESPN+  :rolleyes:

Just found out yesterday for certain that all Murray State games will be on there... so yes, they have suckered me in!

I'm ready. Buffalo's entire Arizona-killing team from last year is back, except for Wes Clark, and they've got some early tests to see just how competitive they can truly be this go-round. They're playing West Virginia on November 9 and Syracuse on December 18.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm ready. Buffalo's entire Arizona-killing team from last year is back, except for Wes Clark, and they've got some early tests to see just how competitive they can truly be this go-round. They're playing West Virginia on November 9 and Syracuse on December 18.

You going down the ESPN+ rabbit hole with me?

Ole Miss isn't going to contend for anything, but should be a much better team with a new coach, some interesting newcomers on the court and probably the 6 best players from last year's team back. I can say with confidence that we won't finish dead last again. An NIT bid would be a nice achievable building block for the first year of Kermitball. 

For once, our non-conference schedule is kind of interesting. We go to Butler the first week of the season, an early tournament with Baylor & Cincinnati, and the SEC/B12 challenge game against Iowa St. 

Best part of all is that Andy Kennedy is no longer coaching basketball (which he's just okay at) but will instead now be CALLING basketball for the SEC Network (which he will undoubtedly be great at). Really looking forward to hearing what he comes up with in the booth. Definitely more entertaining than the usual. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I don't even know what that is, but I suspect I don't like it.

Its ESPN's desperate grab to get in on the streaming service business.  I generally am opposed as well.  Much of what they have available is stuff that used to be on the ESPN3 or ESPN360 or whatever they called it.

In the scheme of things, its pretty cheap at $5/month.

But I just found out that all the Murray State games will be on there.  I can see UK at any time obviously, but catching the Racers is tougher.  Its worth five bucks to me.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Its ESPN's desperate grab to get in on the streaming service business.  I generally am opposed as well.  Much of what they have available is stuff that used to be on the ESPN3 or ESPN360 or whatever they called it.

In the scheme of things, its pretty cheap at $5/month.

But I just found out that all the Murray State games will be on there.  I can see UK at any time obviously, but catching the Racers is tougher.  Its worth five bucks to me.

I take it SECNetwork+ is an offshoot of that as well? 

Hell, I might end up roped into the damn thing too... :unsure:

On 10/31/2018 at 7:50 AM, Fez said:

I don't feel good about the Buffalo game at all and I'm mentally prepared for the possibility of taking an L there.  Overall WVU is going to be a deeper team than last year and I think the Mountaineers are primed for another very good season and a tournament run, but we lost 2 veteran guards in Carter and Miles and I think it'll probably take a little bit of time to get our rhythm as new guys step into that leadership role. 

We've got one guard with significant playing time under his belt and that is Beetle Bolden.  We've got a couple other guys who have been in the program a while but haven't seen the court much (Harler, Knapper), a JUCO  transfer who had some nice offers coming out of High School (Haley), and a couple of young newcomers with potential (Doomes, McCabe).  I have high hopes for McCabe in particular contributing big things this year, he can shoot and looks to be a great distributor and we'll have a lot of size and length for him to distribute to, but he is a true freshman and Buffalo is game 1 for WVU. 

I think WVU will be rolling by conference play because we will likely have 6 serviceable guards to throw at opponents, but no way all 6 of them combined will be able to replace the leadership of Carter and Miles for the first several outings of the season.  So starting off against a good opponent who is going to be hungry for another scalp... wouldn't be surprised if we lose.  Right now, I'm just excited to watch Konate for another year.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:50 PM, Triskele said:

Oregon has Bol Bol, son of that Bol, coming in as maybe the top recruit that wasn't one of those Duke top 3.  And a couple of other top 50 wings.  

I don't know if that's "going off," but that is a pretty damn nice array of moves.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:17 PM, S John said:

I don't feel good about the Buffalo game at all and I'm mentally prepared for the possibility of taking an L there. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game; though its really hard to mentally adjust to the possibility that Buffalo will be a legitimate mid-major powerhouse this year. Expectations are sky-high (relatively speaking) for the team, including being the unanimous media pick (35 votes) to win the MAC East and a lot of talk about the potential for Buffalo to get an at-large bid if they don't win the MAC tournament (especially if the loss is to Eastern Michigan in the MAC West, who are also supposed to be quite good this year). The last time a MAC team got an at-large bid was 1999.

The opportunities are there, besides WVU and Syracuse, Buffalo's OOC schedule also includes St. Bonaventure and Marquette. This team could build quite a resume, I just don't know if they are truly good to get there. And this is the year, if there ever is one. There's a whole lot of seniors on this team who won't be here next year. Buffalo's recruiting already saw an uptick this year from the visibility last year gave them, including getting a couple decent transfers (again, relatively speaking) over the summer who aren't eligible to play until next season. If this truly is Buffalo's year, that can get built up even better; this is the biggest school in fourth biggest state in the country, it could become a destination. This could be the kind of the year that lifts a mid-major out of obscurity, if the team is good enough to get the wins.

I just hope they are. 

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Jayhawks looking good early!

Just turned it on to start watching, forgot to switch off of ESPN when I set the recording this morning, and saw us up 15.  I certainly don't expect us to maintain that the entire game.  So weird being the early game, I think that's only been the case one other time in the Champions Classic.

Archived