College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

Oh my.

Not sure what else to say other than it's a long season and I think last night was a perfect storm for Duke.  Fun to watch those kids play the way they did....at least for the next 6 months.

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Rhom, let me know if you get back in this, because I can't watch anymore.  I'll leave this tab open, so it will alert me when you post...

I wound up falling asleep on and off in the second half.  Was going to try to stay awake for the post game show on the radio... but next I knew it was 4 AM and I was on the basement couch with all the lights on.  :lol: 

I don't know that I'm ready to talk about the game yet... that was pretty traumatic.  :crying:   I will just say that I knew we were in trouble in the first three minutes.  Three point shooting was supposed to be a weakness for Duke and they opened up hitting one to start the game and followed that up with a couple more.  If they can hit that shot, there's nothing else that can be said.  

ETA:  Also... Zion is great.  But I'm already tired of the hype.  Barret is clearly the better player and he won't get a third the attention Zion does.  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

ETA:  Also... Zion is great.  But I'm already tired of the hype.  Barret is clearly the better player and he won't get a third the attention Zion does.  

Physical freaks always get more attention. Zion is a fascinating guy to watch because he's capable of outrageous feats of athleticism. 

You're right though, Barrett is phenomenal. That team is downright scary right now. 

More players named as FBI tells NCAA they can start investigating rules violations:

In the email Dawkins sent to his business partner Munish Sood, he detailed payment plans for players at Alabama, Arizona, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Oregon, USC and Xavier, some of which were to begin in September 2017.

Dawkins also listed 19 "prospective players" who were either in college or high school. Among them were Alabama's Collin Sexton, Mississippi State's Lamar Peters, Oregon's Troy Brown Jr., Arizona's Rawle Alkins, Cincinnati's Jacob Evans, Louisville's Ray Spalding and V.J. King, Miami's Dewan Huell (now Hernandez), LSU's Brandon Sampson, USC's De'Anthony Melton, Xavier's Trevon Bluiett and Kentucky's Jarred Vanderbilt.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

I wound up falling asleep on and off in the second half.  Was going to try to stay awake for the post game show on the radio... but next I knew it was 4 AM and I was on the basement couch with all the lights on.  :lol: 

I don't know that I'm ready to talk about the game yet... that was pretty traumatic.  :crying:   I will just say that I knew we were in trouble in the first three minutes.  Three point shooting was supposed to be a weakness for Duke and they opened up hitting one to start the game and followed that up with a couple more.  If they can hit that shot, there's nothing else that can be said.  

Even Trae Young thinks the Williamson hype is too much.

Sometimes it's worth it to throw in the towel and get that sleep.  Reddish was excellent too, but Barrett was definitely the best player on the floor.

So Uconn started their season yesterday with a 10 point win over Morehead St. Obviously not an impressive outcome but this game has me optimistic about the future.

Hurley has got them back to playing the Uconn basketball that made them an elite team for most of my life. High energy, up-tempo offense that gets started from outlet passing, and aggressive, scrappy defense. Somehow Ollie got away from all of this and the last few years have been just awful.

They don’t have the players just yet to seriously contend but all indications are that Hurley is the anti-Ollie when it comes to recruiting. He doesn’t rely on transfers, travels nonstop to see recruits and actually makes a real effort to get them... crazy right!? Next week they play Syracuse to see where they’re really at. 

ETA: I saw some dudes picking Tremont Waters to be the player of the year in the SEC. Still fucking sours me that Ollie just didn’t want him. Unreal.

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

Let me just reflect one more time on the most astounding fact that Ollie both turned UConn to shit and won a title there.  What a world. 

Too soon Triskele.  Still too soon.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

How is this scandal not a bigger story? It reveals what we've always know, the NCAA is dirty AF. The make FIFA look like saints. FIFA!!!

Mainly because people just don't want to see how the sausage is made.  Mainly, what I have seen from it is more that the shoe companies are the problem actors.  I don't know that I believe most schools are involved even if they have players caught up in it.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

CJ Massinburg is a beast. He was good last year, but (in the limited sample of two games) it looks like he's stepped up to a new level this year.

Next up, Southern Illinois.

Yea that guy killed us.  He couldn’t miss.  Good game by your guys.

Goes to show the value of experience at guard.  WVU was a different team without Beetle Bolden in the game.  I had a feeling Buffalo would be bad news for an opening game.  Veteran team vs. a team that is inexperienced at guard is a recipe for an L.   We should be ok by conference play, I think.

42 minutes ago, S John said:

Yea that guy killed us.  He couldn’t miss.  Good game by your guys.

Goes to show the value of experience at guard.  WVU was a different team without Beetle Bolden in the game.  I had a feeling Buffalo would be bad news for an opening game.  Veteran team vs. a team that is inexperienced at guard is a recipe for an L.   We should be ok by conference play, I think.

True. Though it takes a baseline level of talent for that experience to matter. Three years ago WVU would've killed us in a home game, no matter how experienced we were. I give all the credits in the world to Nate Oats, who built this program from scratch over the past three and a bit years (There was a ton of turnover after Bobby Hurley left, and our star player at the time, Justin Moss, decided to commit petty theft and was expelled from the team and the school). Oats signed a new contract last spring, for $600,000/year, way more than Buffalo's paid a coach before; I really hope he stays a while longer.

Hope we meet again in March (and that it goes better for us than the last time we did).

On 11/10/2018 at 9:51 AM, Rhom said:

Mainly because people just don't want to see how the sausage is made.  Mainly, what I have seen from it is more that the shoe companies are the problem actors.  I don't know that I believe most schools are involved even if they have players caught up in it.

It takes two to tango though, and the coaches and athletes are completely in on it.

2K Empire games not going as expected (congrats Ramsay B.).  I would love to meet Oregon in the tournament, just to see Azubuike match up with Bol.  Hell, I think I could back Bol down in the post (I could get a shot off with him having 14" on me, but I don't think he could stop me).  I thought Nike was doing well with money lately, so I'm surprised to see that they can't afford to provide Bol with full shorts.

Archived