College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

9 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Updating an old post, Akok Akok has officially commited to Uconn. Cockburn up next hopefully!

I wish he was playing for Oregon this year with Bol Bol.  I would watch all their games.

The dream continues, as Buffalo goes to #17 in the AP poll. It was an impressive pair of wins they had on back-to-back nights over in Belfast. San Fran was close, but they had been unbeaten too until this game; they might be a really solid team as well.

If they're still unbeaten in a few weeks when they go into Syracuse, that's going to be one hell of a game for western New York. Buffalo's half-heartedly tried to get a rivalry going with a Syracuse a few times over the years, usually in football, but they've never been anywhere close to good enough for it to actually happen. If Buffalo wins this time though, especially if Syracuse is ranked by then, it could really be the start of something fun for the region.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:03 AM, Rhom said:

If you call yourself a college basketball fan, learn the name Ja Morant.

Racers lost by six at Bama last night.  He had 38 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists. If he had anyone that could finish a play at a high D1 level, he would have easily had a half dozen more assists.

that was absolutely disgusting.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:12 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Updating an old post, Akok Akok has officially commited to Uconn. Cockburn up next hopefully!

Hurley is the anti-Ollie, and if they can get either Precious and/or Kofi then this would be one of their best classes in years. 

with a name like that, how does he not play for Duke?

Speaking of...game of the year tonight.  Duke v. my UHartford Hawks.  Some have picked UHA to win the America East...and I think they are plucky and fun and lose this game by 60.

Buffalo beat St Bonaventure on the road for the first time in over a hundred years yesterday. I've never really bought into the "Big 4" of Buffalo (Buffalo, St Bonaventure, Niagara, and Canisius) as a real thing. Niagara and Canisius have a real rivalry, there's a trophy and everything for whoever wins the most games (they play each other in all Division I sports every year), which St. Bonaventure is sort of adjacent too but not really, and Buffalo has nothing to do with. But even so, St. Bonaventure has been the best basketball team in the area most years, and getting a win over them was always exciting. And now Buffalo's even done it on the road.

Next up is a home game against Southern Illinois, who Buffalo already beat on the road this year by 9, and then the big remaining test of the season; road games against Syracuse and Marquette. 

Watched the first half of Tennessee-Gonzaga, before going out and doing 3+ hours of yard work, just finished watching the second half... wow!  That was quite a game.  Schofield was so good; he was crazy annoying in our game against them too, but that second half capped off with a deep 3 to win it today was another level.

I wonder who jumps us to become the new #1 tomorrow. 

UVA had so much help today. They're a good team but probably overrated. When you need refs to give you 5 point plays at the end of the game and phantom fouls at the 3 point line to beat VCU, you're not that good. 29 FT attempts to 9 is about all one needs to know about how poor that game was.

Wife won two fourth row tickets for today's game against Utah.  I'm trying to decide if I just stand the whole game to see what kind of reaction I get... or just buy a blue sweater and prepare my scowl?

On 12/15/2018 at 9:18 AM, Rhom said:

Wife won two fourth row tickets for today's game against Utah.  I'm trying to decide if I just stand the whole game to see what kind of reaction I get... or just buy a blue sweater and prepare my scowl?

Well, which was it?  

Personally I like to piss off the grey-hairs whenever I am blessed enough to sit, er... stand, in the lower arena (it's been some time).

Hell of a week for Buffalo, starting to tonight. Road game at Syracuse on ESPN2, with Syracuse favored by 3.5 points for some reason. Hopefully the team gets motivated by the insult (no power conference team ranked #14 would be a road underdog to Syracuse) and plays out of their minds. The road game against Marquette later this week is an even bigger opportunity for Buffalo to prove itself (and probably secure an at-large bid regardless of how the MAC tournament goes, so long as they don't fall apart the rest of the season), but Syracuse has bullied Buffalo for so long and tonight is the chance for that sweet comeuppance.

7 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Well, which was it?  

Personally I like to piss off the grey-hairs whenever I am blessed enough to sit, er... stand, in the lower arena (it's been some time).

I stood from the national anthem until UK scored.  No one actually told me to sit, but the natives were definitely getting restless...

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

UCLA lost at home to Belmont this weekend by 1.  They actually played OK other than going 12-28 on free throws.  At home.

Right now they're down 17 at half @ Cincinnati thanks to a bankshot three at the buzzer otherwise they'd be down 20.  Not looking good at all.  Expectations were pretty high this year.  Very bad loss to Michigan State and less bad but still a loss going away to UNC and now this.  They have Ohio State this weekend.  Gamblers might want to look for some value betting against the Bruins. 

F’ing Belmont!  Buncha Johnny Come Latelys to the OVC and have been a thorn in Murray States side ever since.  Team full of smart white kids who shoot threes at an alarming pace.  Year in and year out.

Man, WVU is just bad this year.  I've watched every game available in my area so far this year (probably like 7 or so) in the hopes that I'd see the light starting to come on as the conference schedule approaches.  It hasn't.  Can't score, can't play D, no leadership.  Since I am a masochist I will continue watching but I expect that we have a number of terrible beatings in store.

Not looking forward to conference play, we will be hanging out in the cellar with Baylor.  NCAA tournament hopes are already fading.  I'm afraid this team is just going to have to take their licks and come back older and more experienced next year.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

It's actually looking all of the sudden like the opportunity to get rid of Alford that must be seized unless there's a major turnaround.  

If y'all end up flopping out and missing the Tournament (or even just squeaking in) that's got to be it for him, right? He's gotten so many chances.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Time to start looking at who the intriguing coaches are out there.  Could they steal Musselman from Nevada? 

Surely he would make that move. There are a lot of great coaches out there. 

Honestly the Alford situation feels a lot like Crean at Indiana. Mediocre coach at a big name program that should be doing better for itself. 

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

Before the Lonzo Ball / TJ Leaf year it was widely understood that he had to have a big year to save his job.  Well, they actually did.  Had a great regular season, got screwed on their draw and had to play D'Aaron Fox in the Sweet 16 instead of the Elite 8 and lost, but it was a good year.  

That was the worst draw I can remember.   There could have been a real argument that UNC, UK, and UCLA were the three best teams going into that tournament and they all wound up in the same bracket.  :bang: 

And UNC should have lost to Arkansas if that ref hadn't bailed them out.

Archived