College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

I know there's more to the AP rankings than just head-to-head matchups (obviously), but I still find the following strange:

Buffalo is #19 this week. They've previously lost on the road by 18 points to Marquette, who is #21 this week. Marquette has previously on the road by 20 points to St Johns, who is #24 this week.

This is all to Buffalo's benefit, but that order still seems odd. And its not like Marquette's other two losses are that bad, they lost by 9 in Kansas and by 23 in Indiana (okay, that's not great). Meanwhile, St Johns only has one loss, by 2 in Seton Hall. Buffalo also only has the one loss, and does have some good road wins, so maybe its fine that they're ahead of Marquette, but St Johns seems pretty badly under-ranked.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but the job Kermit Davis has done thus far at Ole Miss is nothing short of remarkable. I knew coming into the season that the team had some talented pieces to work with (Breein Tyree and Terrence Davis, in particular) but I had no idea they would gel into such a well-oiled machine this quickly. The difference on both ends of the court vs. the prior regime is night and day. Under AK, the offense was mostly iso, and/or shoot threes for volume and hope they go in. Defensively we would have our moments, but effort and technique were too inconsistent so too often we'd look lost. 

Kermit has taught this team the value of moving with and without the ball and taking the best shot available. Although we don't have a lot of size, the added ball movement is consistently opening up lanes which allow our backcourt to leverage its athleticism for drives to the basket and open looks. On the defensive side, we're playing smarter and adjusting better as the game goes along. 

My hope for this season was that we could win 17-20 games, play spoiler a time or two and get an NIT bid. Still a long way to go, but the expectations have been elevated to levels I didn't think we'd see for at least a couple more years.

ETA: One more thing - it doesn't hurt my feelings at all that Kermit was passed over twice for the Mississippi State job (he's an alum and his dad coached there for years). Supposedly back when they hired Rick Ray, Kermit was on his way to Starkville for an in-person interview when he got the call and was told not to bother coming. It's rare that your new coach comes in from day one wanting to do everything possible to show up your arch rival.  :smug:

On 1/12/2019 at 4:30 PM, Greywolf2375 said:

I think I need a Xanax.

And now I need to pick my jaw up off the floor.  Didn't see any of the game but I'm surprised they lost in Durham to anyone, much less Cuse.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:47 PM, Fez said:

Huh. Can't say I expected that outta Syracuse. 

Makes Buffalo's win there look even better though.

Syracuse played well but got super lucky Tre Jones got injured. He's Duke's most important player.

18 hours ago, Triskele said:

Another fun stat on just how shit the Pac-12 is this year:

SI yesterday had their bracket if tourney was now.  The two Arizona schools were "last four in" and the only Pac-12 teams in at all.  Pathetic.  And it seems like when you collectively have a terrible pre-season there's not a ton anyone can do to distinguish themselves during league.  All you can do now is at best be the team that runs away with it in a league that is not respected.  

I saw Washington in that bracket also, as a 10 seed. Only reason I remember that is because they were the projected opponent for Ole Miss. still pretty rough if your highest seeded team is a 10.

0-5 in conference, worst WVU team in years, beats Kansas.  Makes sense.

seriously needed that though, anything to hang onto to build a little confidence to finish out this shitty year on a positive note and, more importantly, get a little mojo for next year.  

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

@S John - I caught just a bit of that one today and didn't realize WVU was .500 coming in.  I also just saw a tad of Wichita State and didn't realize that they are only 8-8.  That coach has been thrown out there a bit as a UCLA candidate.  

Yea WVU is an ugly mess this year.  It’s been bad.  But a lot of it is youth and inexperience and having to fill the shoes of Carter and Miles at guard and Konate being out for the year.  There are the seeds on this squad for a good team in the future but this is a down year anyway you slice it and a team that’ll be lucky to make the NIT.  

I was beginning to worry that it’d be worse than that though.  A bad year once in a while is OK, but you don’t want it to be so bad that the developing talent you have loses faith and transfers.  Feels like the big win today goes a long way toward keeping guys engaged for the future.  Huge win for the emotional state of the team and hopefully we are turning the corner.  Progress is all I’m really looking for out of this team at this point.

17 hours ago, Rhom said:

@RedEyedGhost while we will be at odds tomorrow, for today we can both agree that Mizzou is super lame

I, for one, am very happy that Mizzou is in the SEC.  They busted... in, I guess.

I'm not seeing us winning tomorrow.  Disappointing as we've won our last 8 straight true road games against AP top 10 teams.  Dok going out for the season has had such a profound effect on the team.  When he went out I saw a statistic that we were scoring 1.15 points per possession when he was in the game, and only 1.02 when he was on the bench.  I don't feel like we've improved very much in the past several weeks either (Garrett has learned to drive more effectively).  Maybe the stakes will elevate Grimes back to his high level play that he has shown in spurts (few and far between, kid's having a very tough transition).  I think the game will come down to whether or not you guys can hit your 3's, and we're pretty poor on our 3pt defense.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I, for one, am very happy that Mizzou is in the SEC.  They busted... in, I guess.

I'm not seeing us winning tomorrow.  Disappointing as we've won our last 8 straight true road games against AP top 10 teams.  Dok going out for the season has had such a profound effect on the team.  When he went out I saw a statistic that we were scoring 1.15 points per possession when he was in the game, and only 1.02 when he was on the bench.  I don't feel like we've improved very much in the past several weeks either (Garrett has learned to drive more effectively).  Maybe the stakes will elevate Grimes back to his high level play that he has shown in spurts (few and far between, kid's having a very tough transition).  I think the game will come down to whether or not you guys can hit your 3's, and we're pretty poor on our 3pt defense.

I tend to agree.  Losing Azubuike changed your season entirely.  Hard to lose a guy like that and keep chugging along.  On our side, Ashton Hagans has really been a revelation on defense and has changed the direction of our season.  Reid Travis has struggled in SEC play against the longer, more athletic bigs than he was used to in the PAC XII, but he is still hustling for rebounds and on defense.  Keldon Johnson has been in a bit of an outside shooting slump, but he can get hot.

We’ve lost three straight to you guys, so we definitely owe you one today.

:box: 

2 hours ago, S John said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say it’s probably a bad year for WVU to draw Tennessee in this challenge.

Yeah... I still don’t understand why we aren’t getting the return game with the Mountaineers this year.

We did home-home with Kansas the first two years, then went at WVU... and now we have Kansas at home again.

And Auburn and LSU, two of the stronger SEC teams, are not playing this year.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah... I still don’t understand why we aren’t getting the return game with the Mountaineers this year.

We did home-home with Kansas the first two years, then went at WVU... and now we have Kansas at home again.

And Auburn and LSU, two of the stronger SEC teams, are not playing this year.

Champions Classic scheduling getting in the way?

Archived