College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Champions Classic scheduling getting in the way?

I’m sure that’s the only reason we played WVU at all.  The return game with them will probably have to wait until we play you guys in the next go ‘round of the classic.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, Rhom said:

I’m sure that’s the only reason we played WVU at all.  The return game with them will probably have to wait until we play you guys in the next go ‘round of the classic.

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense that they don't match us up against other teams in the Big12-SEC Challenge, and let us do a home and home on the off years of the CC.

As expected you guys took over the game once those wide open 3s started falling.  I wish Vick would have shown the same energy he had in the last 90 seconds throughout the entire second half.  That kid is such an enigma.  This just in - Reid Travis is one ugly mother fucker.

Mizzou gets the book thrown at them for a few cases of a tutor doing work for athletes... When directly asked about the comparison with the UNC case, one reason cited by the chair of the committee was that Mizzou admitted the fraud while UNC argued it was not fraudulent.

When further asked if this would just encourage other schools to deny all charges the response was "One could make that argument."

:bang: 

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

Mizzou gets the book thrown at them for a few cases of a tutor doing work for athletes... When directly asked about the comparison with the UNC case, one reason cited by the chair of the committee was that Mizzou admitted the fraud while UNC argued it was not fraudulent.

When further asked if this would just encourage other schools to deny all charges the response was "One could make that argument."

:bang: 

"Exemplary cooperation" is for suckers. Ole Miss found this out the hard way too. 

Bill Self didn’t follow Enes Kanter’s story then.

And therein may lay the salvation for Kansas.  The language gymnastics for the NCAA is always telling.  From what I read, they have “suspended” De Sousa but I have not seen them call him “ineligible.”  That may be significant when it comes to decide on vacated games.

Them whacky Californians are at it again... Fair Pay to Play act before the California Senate would require state universities to allow players to collect income from their likeness.

This bill, the Fair Pay to Play Act, would prohibit a California public postsecondary educational institution, athletic association, conference, or other group or organization with authority over intercollegiate athletics from preventing a student participating in intercollegiate athletics from earning compensation as a result of the use of the student’s name, image, or likeness, as provided. The bill would prohibit compensation to a student for the use of the student’s name, image, or likeness from affecting that student’s scholarship eligibility.

So they guarantee the scholarship, but the NCAA would just turn around and declare them ineligible.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Them whacky Californians are at it again... Fair Pay to Play act before the California Senate would require state universities to allow players to collect income from their likeness.

So they guarantee the scholarship, but the NCAA would just turn around and declare them ineligible.

That's awesome, hopefully they pass it.  NCAA will be apoplectic.

Started four freshmen again.  Had a 12 point lead, and then let TCU go on a 20-4 run.  Somehow we get it tied and then win in OT with a lineup of:
Dotson - stud, our season would already be lost without him
Ochai Agbaji - kid's been a revelation since burning his redshirt 11 games ago.  Scoring 16.6 over the past 5 games in 36 mpg :wideeyed:  He's what everybody expected Grimes to be
KJ Lawson - barely plays, had two clutch runners tonight
David McCormack - I don't know why he's started the past two games over Mitch Lightfoot, because Mitch has been decidedly better.  He certainly shows flashes of brilliance, but right now is frenetically overzealous. 
Charlie Moore - biggest waste of a scholarship that I can recall since... I want to say Naadir Tharpe, but I didn't hate life every single time Tharpe touched the ball, so that can't be right

Three freshmen and two disappointing transfers, but hey, we got a road win which is pretty much a miracle this year.

In other news, WVU dismissed two of the their starters for violating athletic department rules.  They have a brutal schedule left - 4 of 7 on the road with ISU, KSU, and TCU at home.  May not win another game.  

Tonight is the night... its here again.  The Meteor Game.

Son: “Daddy, are we watching the Georgia play that team from Louisiana today?”
Father: “No son, that’s game is pay per view only and we can’t get it on Satellite.”
Son: “That sucks!”
Father: “Stinks, son…not sucks.”
Son: “Sorry. So, what are we going to do today?”
Father: “I figured we’d watch the Louisville-Duke game, son.”
Son: “The Louisville-Duke game? Yuk! But we hate those teams.”
Father: “I know. But it should be a good game.”
Son: “But who do we root for, daddy?”

The father takes a long sip of his morning coffee. With a knowing smile, he puts his arm around his impressionable son’s shoulders.

Father: “Son, it’s a Meteor Game.”

Each man with children has moments that define his role as a father. Often, these defining moments come in the form of an innocent question from a child. “What is sex?” “Is lying wrong?” “How does Don King get his hair to do that?” “Who do we root for?”

Tonight is the annual match up of hated foes as Duke comes to the Commonwealth to face the Cardinals. It’s an unspoken holiday in the state of Kentucky. Tonight, across the state, fathers will be explaining the time-honored concept of the Meteor Game to young sons in record numbers.

Tonight, fathers will be helping impressionable minds grasp the notion that when watching Louisville play Duke, you don’t root for either team to win; you root for an enormous asteroid to make the journey from its natural habitat in a belt between Mars and Jupiter to a red and white den of iniquity in downtown Louisville, picking up horrific speed along the way.

You root for an impact so immense that the resulting heat has an anti-septic, cauterizing power great enough to wipe the scourge of these unsavory teams, their coaches, their fans, the street vendors and the garish tchotchkes they sell off the face of the earth forever and ever. (Amen)

Son: “So, I think I get it. But how big a meteor are we rooting for, Daddy?”
Father: “Son, we’re rooting for the kind of meteor you hire Aerosmith to write a song about.”
Son: “Geez, that’s a big one.”
Father: “It certainly is, son. It certainly is.”

On 2/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, Rhom said:

Son: “So, I think I get it. But how big a meteor are we rooting for, Daddy?”
Father: “Son, we’re rooting for the kind of meteor you hire Aerosmith to write a song about.”
Son: “Geez, that’s a big one.”
Father: “It certainly is, son. It certainly is.”

Thankfully Coach K stopped the nuke countdown and told them he doesn't coach losers!

I’m starting to buy in on Zion shutting down and just announcing he’s going pro. I’ve seen enough to say he’s the top pick, and there are some crazy numbers being floated around for shoe deals for him. He might actually be a high risk injury player, so why risk tens of millions of dollars playing for free?  

I wonder if that would backfire though. If he's that concerned about his injury potential, it could cause teams to re-evalaute his durability as well and maybe cause some to decide he's too great a risk to be the #1 pick.

No one wants to draft the next Greg Oden.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m starting to buy in on Zion shutting down and just announcing he’s going pro. I’ve seen enough to say he’s the top pick, and there are some crazy numbers being floated around for shoe deals for him. He might actually be a high risk injury player, so why risk tens of millions of dollars playing for free?  

Competitive fire, loyalty to teammates and coaches, desire to be a champion, not wanting to look like a bitch...  

I do really wish they would get rid of the one and done.  Hockey rules or baseball rules would be so much better than the basketball rules.  NCAA makes zero sense.  NBA GMs can't draft correctly so they screw up the college game, and 14 years later the NCAA still hasn't responded.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Competitive fire, loyalty to teammates and coaches, desire to be a champion, not wanting to look like a bitch...  

And all of that goes out the window when Nike slides you a $50m contract. 

I do really wish they would get rid of the one and done.  Hockey rules or baseball rules would be so much better than the basketball rules.  NCAA makes zero sense.  NBA GMs can't draft correctly so they screw up the college game, and 14 years later the NCAA still hasn't responded.

Agreed. Also, the NCAA needs to let the athletes make money on their likeness, That solves a lot of things while allowing the NCAA to still be corrupt an armature league. 

Archived