College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

Buffalo gets the winner of the ASU/St Johns play-in; ASU is of course coached by Bobby Hurley, our former coach. "The selection committee doesn't take potential match-ups into consideration," my ass.

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

Buffalo gets the winner of the ASU/St Johns play-in; ASU is of course coached by Bobby Hurley, our former coach. "The selection committee doesn't take potential match-ups into consideration," my ass.

Louisville vs Richard Pitino confirms your suspicions

Hokies got bumped up to a 4 seed, which is nice.  Could be that the committee took into account that we're finally getting our best player, Justin Robinson back.  We likely win 3 or 4 more in the regular season if he hadn't gotten injured.  To put the cart way ahead of the horse, we'd have a Sweet 16 matchup with Duke - but no biggie, we beat them 2 weeks ago.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, we've lost in the first round the last two years...so mission #1 - win the first round game....

Seems like the SEC got robbed after having such a strong season, but they still don't get a  #1 seed.  Tennessee getting destroyed in the championship game probably contributed to that though.  Tenn beats UK twice in March and loses to Auburn twice in March

Strongest schedule in the nation gets us in the "midwest," not that I expect us to get out of the first weekend to get to Kansas City.  Auburn seems to be on quite the hot streak lately.

I saw that in Virginia's bracket there are 10 teams that have adjusted tempo ranked in the 300s, out of 353.  Sounds like a gift wrapped bracket for the slowest team in college basketball.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, Ded As Ned said:

I have renewed the Westeros bracket challenge on Yahoo for anyone interested in signing up again.  Here's the link:  https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/43200/invitation?key=6ee90086e183f562&soc_trk=lnk

Password is "GRRM"

I'm in again!  Thanks for the invite.  Go Hoos!

12 hours ago, Rhom said:

Racers over Marquette and FSU!  Sweet 16 bound!  Book it!!!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens.  Similar to when Dwayne Wade and Marquette went on a tear back in the day as an 8 (or was it a 10?) seed.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with UK's draw, for the first time maybe forever.  Auburn is peaking at the right time, and we've already beaten UNC, and we'd only have to play one of those 2 (and match up well against both imo, having already defeated both as well).  I like our chances of making the F4.

13 hours ago, D_P said:

give me the goods, ye knowers of new mexico st.  we've been playing quite well but we drew a ridiculous, insurmountable battle.  FA, can we beat even them?  i'm in over my head with success. :cheers:

if austin wiley can play well in the tourney, it'll be something that no one has seen but he's been gimpy all year.

Ha well I don't know much about NMSU other than they're a 30-win team and a 12 seed, always a dangerous combination come Tournament time. I think y'all will be okay. You seem to be gelling at the right time.

I'm just happy Ole Miss is in the field and has a winnable first round game. I hold no illusions of us beating UVA if we get past the Sooners but hey, you never know. Kermit has worked magic in the Tournament before...

10 hours ago, mushroomshirt said:

I'm in again!  Thanks for the invite.  Go Hoos!

Also joined, and made my bracket.

As usual I think I'm too upset heavy, but I think my final four is reasonable (with one exception, but I gotta go with my heart): Duke, Virginia, Houston, and Buffalo. With Duke beating Houston in the championship.

I do think there's some big underseeding going on though, and that Buffalo, Houston, Nevada, Wofford, and St. Mary's (who I have going to the elite 8) all have the potential to do a lot better than expected.

4 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens.  Similar to when Dwayne Wade and Marquette went on a tear back in the day as an 8 (or was it a 10?) seed.

3 is the number you're looking for.  3 seed. 

21 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Hmm so you are correct.  I have always thought of that as more of an upset, but I suppose not s'much.

Probably because of how badly they beat your guys, and to then see them get absolutely taken to the woodshed the next weekend.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Probably because of how badly they beat your guys, and to then see them get absolutely taken to the woodshed the next weekend.

Still too soon REG... still too soon...  :crying: 

I still think a fully healthy Keith Bogans changes that game.  That team was amazing on team defense, but once he got the dreaded high ankle sprain the entire team was affected.

20 hours ago, D_P said:

give me the goods, ye knowers of new mexico st.  we've been playing quite well but we drew a ridiculous, insurmountable battle.  FA, can we beat even them?  i'm in over my head with success. :cheers:

if austin wiley can play well in the tourney, it'll be something that no one has seen but he's been gimpy all year.

You should be REALLY unhappy with that draw.  First round sites at altitude are death to teams that travel.  NMSU is "only" 3900 ft above sea level, but they are used to it a LOT more than you are.  Short trip for them, and their fans WILL travel.  A 5 seed should NOT be getting what is effectively a road game.

55 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

You should be REALLY unhappy with that draw.  First round sites at altitude are death to teams that travel.  NMSU is "only" 3900 ft above sea level, but they are used to it a LOT more than you are.  Short trip for them, and their fans WILL travel.  A 5 seed should NOT be getting what is effectively a road game.

Good point, and the more I read about NMSU the more convinced I am that they are the most likely 12/5 upset pick regardless. Lots of size and depth, two things Auburn doesn't have much of, relatively speaking.

Archived