College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Definitely.  And the charge from Zion before the foul on Tacko.

But the game was lost on the botched alley oop followed by the rushed long two on the next play.

Yup. How does Dawkins not take the last shot too? Awesome finish though.

Just now, Ramsay B. said:

Yup. How does Dawkins not take the last shot too? Awesome finish though.

That tip from him rolled all the way around the rim and just didn’t fall.  Would have been a legendary finish.

Pretty underwhelming sweet 16.  We got some good games this past weekend, but with the dust settled, there's only one team that isn't a top 5 seed left, and that's an Oregon squad that was injured and underachieved.  If you just straight took the top 4 seeds in every bracket then you went 14 for 16, which is (normally) a very good showing in the sweet 16. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Pretty underwhelming sweet 16.  We got some good games this past weekend, but with the dust settled, there's only one team that isn't a top 5 seed left, and that's an Oregon squad that was injured and underachieved.  If you just straight took the top 4 seeds in every bracket then you went 14 for 16, which is (normally) a very good showing in the sweet 16. 

Yea, lots of chalk this year.  I really like to cheer for the gods of chaos, but they’ve been pretty quiet this year.  Still enjoying the games though, and the plus side is that we should be seeing some very competitive games from here on out.

1 minute ago, S John said:

Yea, lots of chalk this year.  I really like to cheer for the gods of chaos, but they’ve been pretty quiet this year.  Still enjoying the games though, and the plus side is that we should be seeing some very competitive games from here on out.

I don't know about that though.  Seeing a 4 seed beat a 1 seed is hardly as exciting as a 12 seed doing the same.  There isn't even one team that has a "scrappy underdog" feel to it.  The closest would be...Auburn? 

And I remember when there were four 1 seeds in the 2008 Final Four, and everybody was saying "we're in for two amazing games!"  The result?  Kansas by 18, Memphis by 15.  Having all favorites robs us of excitement and doesn't guarantee anything. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now up to second with 15/16 teams left.

And you picked Virginia to win….

n00b

Bro, defense wins... regular season stuff. 

Money isn’t involved, I can take chances(like picking three 12 seeds to win).

Also I can't help but feel a bit for Tacko Fall.  If he were born 20 years ago, he would be a top 3 pick.  Even 10 years ago he's a lottery guy.  But now, he might not even get drafted, because he can't cover NBA players on the 3 point line, and thus will not be able to stay on the court. 

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Also I can't help but feel a bit for Tacko Fall.  If he were born 20 years ago, he would be a top 3 pick.  Even 10 years ago he's a lottery guy.  But now, he might not even get drafted, because he can't cover NBA players on the 3 point line, and thus will not be able to stay on the court. 

Or Memphis will trade up to get him. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Also I can't help but feel a bit for Tacko Fall.  If he were born 20 years ago, he would be a top 3 pick.

Ha!  No, he wouldn't.  As a UCF alumn, I've been awarer of Fall for four years.  He's not skilled enough.  He's a Senior in a system that stigmatizes seniors.  The last guy who was drafted in such a way - Shawn Bradley - was a terrible, terrible mistake.  I think Fall will be a great second round pick.  I'd even try him in the 20s in the first round.  But no, after Bradley, no one was gonna draft a guy just based on height.  And Fall clearly still has a long way to learn how to play professional basketball, so I don't know how useful he'd be during a rookie contract before he gets in foul trouble.

Archived