College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

if trends continue, it looks as if we will play clemson in the tourney...again.  and they are horrible.  clearly back half of the league and probably wouldn't even be on the fourth four out list if they weren't clemson.  we just have shitty luck against them.  i'm a tad nervous but we will probably get wisCONsin in the next round.  

however, clemson...what a crap school.  i'm sorry if any of ya'll went there but that place is the pits.

10 hours ago, Triskele said:

St. Mary's, who is not as close to Gonzaga as they've been in recent years, looks like they're about to pull the upset.

Does Gonzaga lose their #1 seed?  Did St. Mary's take away an at large bid?  They seem like they were on the bubble at 21-11.  Hilarious if they took it away from a 2nd Pac-12 getting it.  

ETA:  From The Ringer:

The Pac-12's Season from Hell Won't End

I think Gonzaga still keeps a #1 seed, just not the top overall #1 seed. I also think St. Mary's screwed another bubble team as I had a hard time seeing them getting an at large. So far, it looks like top seeds in the conference tournament have won 2 out of 11. Odds aren't in the favor for VCU.

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

Does Gonzaga lose their #1 seed?  Did St. Mary's take away an at large bid?  They seem like they were on the bubble at 21-11.  Hilarious if they took it away from a 2nd Pac-12 getting it.  

ETA:  From The Ringer:

The Pac-12's Season from Hell Won't End

Are you sure if Washington loses in the Pac 12 tournament, particularly to a team other than Arizona St, Oregon or Colorado, that they would get in as an at-large? Cause I'm not convinced of that. Which bubble team's resume do they surpass? As I see it, they have a bunch of wins against mediocre-to-bad teams and no horrifically bad losses. Not a compelling case.

ETA: Oops, sorry, they lost to Cal. So there is one staggeringly bad loss to boot. 

I hate not being in a power conference for CBB (yes, I'm whining again). From Jerry Palm on a full year of NET.

Now that a full season is almost in the books, we are starting to see how the NET differs from the RPI, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that the power conferences are the big winners.

In the six power conferences, 55 of the 75 teams are better in the NET than in the RPI. That's 73.3 percent. Only 17 are worse off in the NET.

Compare that to the teams that are most hurt by the NET.  Of the 77 teams that are at least 20 places lower in the NET than the RPI, only Arizona State (-28) is from a power conference.

You might think it's the bad teams in the smaller conferences that are most hurt, but that is not the case. It's the better teams. Of the 20 teams most damaged by the NET, seven were regular season champions in their conferences and seven others finished second in their leagues.

The bottom teams in the major conferences are benefitting most, in part because even those teams can post big wins against teams from smaller conferences. The 26 teams that finished at least four games below .500 in league play in the power conferences are an average of 35.3 spots higher in the NET than in the RPI.  The fact that those teams are so much better the NET helps everyone in the league once conference games start. Playing the bottom feeders in conference do not hurt nearly as much as it used to.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Already signed up!

I’m in too.

So Uconn really showed up today. Not counting this game, and a few other duds, I saw a lot of positivity throughout the year though. Actual flow to the offense, a couple guys stepping up while Jalen and Gilbert missed time, and playing hard the whole 40 minutes even when they’re down. This team is really young and Hurley is bringing some of his guys next year so finishing above .500 one of these seasons may actually be fucking attainable. Landing Precious would be nice too.

They’re doing a 4-part E:60 about Calhoun on Sundays and the first one just made me sad the whole time. Seeing this team in their glory days, and Calhoun talking about fighting through stomach cancer the last 2 years while coaching a local division III team. Guy just loves the game.

52 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Well, Oregon won in OT last night against Arizona State which makes like seven or so straight wins, so if they can beat Washington tonight they're in, and I suppose there's a chance of three Pac-12's now.  

Random thought not tournament related:  is Luke Walton a big candidate for both UCLA and Arizona if the Lakers let him go?*

*realizing the Arizona job is not officially open yet.  

I would have to think so.

On other coaching news front, rumors say Buzz Williams is going to take the job at aTm.  I don’t see how that’s a step up from VaTech, but I’ve been told he’s from Texas and the money is an order of magnitude higher.

Lastly, @RedEyedGhost I have seen rumblings about Self and heard a rumor the Bulls are interested.  Is that a real concern for KU fans?

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Lastly, @RedEyedGhost I have seen rumblings about Self and heard a rumor the Bulls are interested.  Is that a real concern for KU fans?

Some people think it's a thing, it looks like the Bulls are pretty happy with Boylen though.  Would be interesting to see who we would target if he did leave.  There's not that many up and comers right now.

Big XII tourney has been pretty wild.  Looking forward to another game against ISU.  They torched us in Ames, we got revenge in Lawrence, and I feel like our guys might actually be starting to get it...  Famous last words.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

On other coaching news front, rumors say Buzz Williams is going to take the job at aTm.  I don’t see how that’s a step up from VaTech, but I’ve been told he’s from Texas and the money is an order of magnitude higher.

Yeah, it's a concern.  We can't match the aTm budget, that's for sure.  But Buzz is a quirky guy - you can never tell what motivates him.  With Coach K, Leonard Hamilton and Roy Williams all 70ish in age, he's got a chance to soon be one of the preeminent coaches in the preeminent basketball conference.  The family in Texas thing is almost more concerning than the money.  I'd like to keep Buzz, but...

...I won't be torn up if he leaves.  As I said, he's a quirky guy, and some of the things he says and does are just odd.  And make no mistake...the most important thing to Buzz....is Buzz.  He has his camps and such, and they are all branded "Buzzketball"...nothing about the school.  He's very friendly with the national media...loves to be on ESPN and ham it up...but he is rude and condescending to the local media.  He'll be asked a question, and he'll go off on a tangent that has nothing at all to with the question...or even basketball. 

On the basketball front, he recruited very well the first year he was here.  Those guys are seniors now, and are the reason we've done so well.  But his recruiting after that has been spotty at best.  We're going to lose 3 seniors this year, and Nickeil Alexander-Walker, a sophomore is projected as a first round pick, so he's likely gone.  There's not a lot behind them.  We're going to go from a team that has the potential to go a long way in this year's NCAA tournament, to a team that may very well be NIT bound next year (which may factor in his decision to leave). 

That said, he sure as hell gets the most out of what he has.  Before the season started we lost 1 starter due to some scandal that was never made official (rumors are that he hit his girlfriend) - and we lost our top recruit, who would have had major minutes to some NCAA issue with his ACT scores*.  The halfway through the ACC schedule, our best player, Justin Robinson** went down with a foot injury, and we still went 27-7, with a win over Duke (ok, so what that they didn't have Zion...well, we didn't have our best guy either). 

*Note that at our last home game, Martin Fox was sitting behind our bench.  Who's Martin Fox, you ask?  The central figure in the college scandal involving Aunt Becky from Full House.  Buzz has apparently known him for years, but said something like "I guess I didn't know him that well".  Our AD has already come out and said that VT is sure no improprieties happened...but who knows if this story gets legs.  aTm may back off....

**That's another gripe - Buzz has steadfastly refused to answer any questions about Justin Robinson's injury, which has led to weekly speculation on when he'll be back. 

Last thing is...this has been a yearly occurrence.  Last year, I think the rumors were that he was leaving for Texas Tech.  It's getting a little tiresome for the VT fanbase to go through this "will he or won't he" dance every year.

Having lived in Austin for a while now and married to a Longhorn, I’ve absorbed a slight distaste for A&M.  They do some weird shit out there.  And though they’d never admit it, they have the most severe case of little brother syndrome in all of college sports and that’s really saying something.  They blatantly try to outdo UT in everything, yet they will never be UT, which is perhaps what they want most of all.

But on that note, Buzz would be a one-up on UT at the head basketball coach position.  I think Shaka kind of sucks, to be honest.  My wife and I go to UT basketball games all the time and I just don’t think he’s taking UT any father than he already has, which is a 66-66 record.  And of course that includes all the shitty teams everyone beats up on so his conference record must be significantly under .500.  They should shit-can him, IMO, but I read the other day that his buyout is 12.9 million.  WTF were they thinking.  A&M and UT both have too much money for their own good.

16 hours ago, Triskele said:

I swear that Shaka mirrors Charlie Strong in bizarrely-close fashion.  Both looked like great hires at the time: up-and-comers that everyone wanted moving to UT where obviously they would use the resources of UT (which are ample) to destroy everyone.  And it just didn't happen in either case.

*makes mental note to hate A&M a bit more*

Yea, very similar situations.  At the time they both looked like great hires, but even still how is Smart 4-5 years into his contract and his buyout is STILL almost 13 million.  It’s crazy.  Shaka has recruited really well too which makes it all the more baffling that UT hasn’t been good.  Give those same recruits to Bob Huggins or Bill Self and Texas not only makes the tournament but could do some damage in it.  Shaka has taken the Longhorns to the tournament only twice and never won a game.  And now you owe a guy 13 million who hasn’t brought home one single tournament win.  

Watching Michigan Michigan State play for the third time and once again it's Ground hogs day. Michigan gets a large first half lead, all is good. 2nd half comes, Michigan can't make a basket and State can't miss, State wins, Michigan looks silly. 

give me the goods, ye knowers of new mexico st.  we've been playing quite well but we drew a ridiculous, insurmountable battle.  FA, can we beat even them?  i'm in over my head with success. :cheers:

if austin wiley can play well in the tourney, it'll be something that no one has seen but he's been gimpy all year.

Archived