College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

So I just discovered the GIF war between KSU and Kansas over in the reddit collegebasketball subreddit.. It looks like I'm really late to the party but it's glorious..

Check out this thread.

And all of the posts by /u/everymanawildcat ..

(sorry REG)

On 3/8/2019 at 3:15 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

LSU head coach Will Wade has been suspended indefinitely following reports of FBI-wiretapped audio where he discusses paying for a player on at least a couple of different occasions. This is pretty big news, as LSU has had a stellar season and is a legitimate contender to make a deep run. 

The fact that one of the first really significant breaks in this case has happened at LSU shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows basketball. Numerous players there have been linked to fairly substantive pay-for-play allegations (Johnny O'Bryant, Tim Quarterman, Jarell Martin and Ben Simmons just in the last several years). So, no surprise that the money train is still running through Baton Rouge. 

That being said, of course it probably goes on everywhere to some extent. I'm surprised a head coach would implicate himself like this; most of the news up til now has been around assistants. 

The outcome of this will be (hopefully) the death of one-and-done, a practice which opens up a wealth of possibilities for corruption.

Wade is a snake. No surprise at all that he got caught up in this. Lots of rumors among connected VCU fans before the wire taps broke that he was doing this shit down at LSU.

It’s interesting, I think Wade was a shoe in for SEC Coach of the Year prior to Thursday... now I guess it goes to either Calipari or Barnes.

Racers punch their ticket to the dance.  Bring on the Ja Morant show!!!

Belmont absolutely deserves an at large bid.  Would be only the second time that the OVC had two teams.

Morant’s performance yesterday got a lot of attention, and for good reason. He’s probably the most exciting player in the country and he played a hell of a game to ensure his team got into the Tournament.

That said, I’d like to call attention to my favorite two plays from yesterday, neither of which made it into the SportsCenter top 10, somehow. Both happened in the last 5  minutes of the game with the team fighting back from a deficit, on the road, desperate to strengthen their NCAA bid. Very proud of these guys! 

PS - In case y’all missed the news, history was made yesterday in SEC basketball. A particular head coach became the first since 1954 to go winless in conference play, and the first ever to do so through an 18 game schedule. 

That coach was none other than Bryce Homer Drew.

:smug:

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Wow, that 2nd dunk was insane.  

On Morant, I saw a mock yesterday that had him going 3rd.  Hope he makes a run in the tourney Curry-style.  

The first was great too in full context. Shuler got the steal and went full court, taking off from near the free throw line, at 6’2.

Agree on Morant, he is exactly the kind of player I love to see in the Tournament. Small school guy with a lot to prove who can take over games. 

On 3/9/2019 at 6:35 PM, Rhom said:

It’s interesting, I think Wade was a shoe in for SEC Coach of the Year prior to Thursday... now I guess it goes to either Calipari or Barnes.

Kermit wins!

The fact that players like Schofield, Silva and Tyree didn't even make 1st team all-SEC shows how deep the conference was this year.

ETA: Spoke too soon, those three all made 1st team on the Coaches All-SEC selections. Kermit won coach of the year from those guys too.  :) 

7 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

OK? By that logic, all awards are dumb. That's all. 

A lot of awards are because they're highly subjective. I'm mostly reacting to the Atlantic 10 having an All Defensive Team that has zero players from the 5th ranked defense in CBB, especially when by every defensive metric (defensive win share, defensive +/-, defensive rating), there was at least one VCU player at the top or 2nd on the list. Clearly defense means blocks or steals only. It's all good though, bulletin board material heading into conference tournament.

Just now, Mexal said:

A lot of awards are because they're highly subjective. I'm mostly reacting to the Atlantic 10 having an All Defensive Team that has zero players from the 5th ranked defense in CBB, especially when by every defensive metric (defensive win share, defensive +/-, defensive rating), there was at least one VCU player at the top or 2nd on the list.

All awards that aren't directly based on a statistic (e.g. a few of the NHL trophies) are by their very definition, subjective. 

I get that you're pissed about your team getting disrespected by a bunch of jerkwad sportswriters, but that doesn't invalidate all awards. 

1 minute ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

All awards that aren't directly based on a statistic (e.g. a few of the NHL trophies) are by their very definition, subjective. 

I get that you're pissed about your team getting disrespected by a bunch of jerkwad sportswriters, but that doesn't invalidate all awards. 

I didn't invalidate them. I said they're dumb. I also think the Oscars are dumb.

Archived