College Basketball 2018-2019: A star studded season

Rhom

On 2/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, Triskele said:

Holy shit, Virginia held NC State to 24 points for the whole game.  Lowest total in shot clock era by a ranked team. 

Only check on this board every so often....but, no Virginia did not hold NC State to 24 points.  Virginia TECH held NC State to 24 points.  Ahem.

11 hours ago, HokieStone said:

Only check on this board every so often....but, no Virginia did not hold NC State to 24 points.  Virginia TECH held NC State to 24 points.  Ahem.

Naaaaaahhhh.  NC State held NC State to 24 points.

So many good looks just bricked.  Must have had a pretty wild Friday night.

When talking about any young athlete's health, particularly when college athletes are treated like garbage by the NCAA system, then I wish Zion Williamson a speedy and full recovery. When it comes to Duke, however, then it's difficult for me to feel pity for their loss (even somehow putting my UNC fandom aside) when they still have 3 of the top 15 of the freshmen class still on the floor afterwards. 

All of a sudden, Scottie Pippen doesn’t seem so crazy for saying Zion should shut it down.  Even if the injury isn’t season ending, I would think he will have to consider seriously shutting it down.

And I agree with @Matrim Fox Cauthon that when you still have two of the top five picks in the draft, it’s hard to feel bad for Duke as a team.

54 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

And there it is.  All it took was the possibility of the best prospect since Lebron getting hurt because they forced him to go to college.  Not that this will come close to fixing the mess the NCAA has become, but it should go a long way.

So are they asking for release of medical information for this or not?

Ole Miss players took a knee today during the national anthem, out of protest over the confederate statue troglodytes currently infesting the campus. 

Now all across our web presence, angry old men and former frat boys are melting down about how "disappointed" they are in our players. 

I swear to god, being a Mississippian and an Ole Miss fan with a modicum of common sense really sucks sometimes. Makes me want to quit the whole goddamn thing. 

ETA: Kermit's Komments: 

"This was all about the hate groups that came to our community to try to spread racism and bigotry," Ole Miss coach Kermit Davis said. "It's created a lot of tension for our campus. Our players made an emotional decision to show these people they're not welcome on our campus, and we respect our players' freedom and ability to choose that.''

^_^ okay, maybe I won't quit after all. 

VCU is back atop the A-10 and should be an at large for the tournament. Pretty solid team this year with a top 5 defense according to Kenpom and an offense that has improved massively going into March. They could be an upset special again this year.

35 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Time to start wearing clothes again.  Will there be chafing?  I'll keep you posted.

Unfortunate

LSU head coach Will Wade has been suspended indefinitely following reports of FBI-wiretapped audio where he discusses paying for a player on at least a couple of different occasions. This is pretty big news, as LSU has had a stellar season and is a legitimate contender to make a deep run. 

The fact that one of the first really significant breaks in this case has happened at LSU shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who follows basketball. Numerous players there have been linked to fairly substantive pay-for-play allegations (Johnny O'Bryant, Tim Quarterman, Jarell Martin and Ben Simmons just in the last several years). So, no surprise that the money train is still running through Baton Rouge. 

That being said, of course it probably goes on everywhere to some extent. I'm surprised a head coach would implicate himself like this; most of the news up til now has been around assistants. 

The outcome of this will be (hopefully) the death of one-and-done, a practice which opens up a wealth of possibilities for corruption.

Archived