What is the largest country in history?

Galactus

This brings to mind the coastline paradox.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

Basically, you can’t measure the coastline of a country, because the smaller the units of measurements you use, the longer the coastline will be.

It feels as if something similar should apply to measuring the surface area of a country taking into account vertical indentations in the ground as well? Or am I totally wrong here?

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

This brings to mind the coastline paradox.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastline_paradox

Basically, you can’t measure the coastline of a country, because the smaller the units of measurements you use, the longer the coastline will be.

It feels as if something similar should apply to measuring the surface area of a country taking into account vertical indentations in the ground as well? Or am I totally wrong here?

That's just your opinion.

Made up of contiguous territory, the Mongol Empire.

Made up of noncontiguous territory, the British Empire.

At different points, both empires bordered the Himalayas (Vertigous Maximus), where hilliness reached its maximum verticality in a nonhorizontal paradigm.

13 hours ago, Alarich II said:

The hilliness of the Balkans and Anatolia makes the Ottoman Empire the greatest ever. It is known.

By that logic, wouldn't The Roman Empire have it beat? It had all that, too, plus the Alps, the Pyrenees, a portion of the Atlas and Carpathian mountains.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

By that logic, wouldn't The Roman Empire have it beat? It had all that, too, plus the Alps, the Pyrenees, a portion of the Atlas and Carpathian mountains.

This prejudice against ranges like the Appenines, Vosges, Taurus and appropriately named Anti-Taurus ranges must be stopped. How? Come to the Maldives, that’s how. No evalations in sight, and that sight gets you more bang for the buck than sights where various evalations get in the way. The Maldives, the Maldives, the Maldives.

13 hours ago, James Arryn said:

This prejudice against ranges like the Appenines, Vosges, Taurus and appropriately named Anti-Taurus ranges must be stopped. How? Come to the Maldives, that’s how. No evalations in sight, and that sight gets you more bang for the buck than sights where various evalations get in the way. The Maldives, the Maldives, the Maldives.

That about the dutch? 

47 minutes ago, Galactus said:

That about the dutch? 

We have mountains, or at least hills we call mountains. And since a bunch of us live below sea level we are used to our view being obstructed by the dikes and dunes that protect us from water.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:56 PM, Galactus said:

When accounting for hilliness? 

Before I answer the question, can you please define country?

and history?

and largest?

Do this for me, and I promise to answer your question with reasonable accuracy.

Let it be known that what is reasonable is subjective. In this instance it stands for ~5%.

Archived