What are your kids reading?

Teng Ai Hui

What are your kids (or nieces and nephews) reading?

I have a 10 y/o daughter.  In past years, she saw me reading The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, so I read it to her.  Recently, I discovered a similar comic strip called Phoebe and Her Unicorn.  Now she is devouring those books. 

Also, last weekend, she read a comic book called Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Halloween Spooktacular.

My son is just turned 12.  He's currently reading Ender's Game and has some new fantasy series ahead next with the Magisterium series and Five Kingdoms series, which were recommended by one of his friends after he blew through all of the Rangers Apprentice and Brother Band series earlier this year.  He also read Lord Of The Rings during the summer, and miscellaneous others.  He likes historical fiction and military history too.

For comic books, his most recent acquisitions are Spiderman albums.  X-Men didn't make a huge impression yet, even though I got him the highest rated albums.  He also has his classic go-tos of Tintin, Asterix and Calvin & Hobbes for re-read.  He has some Gary Larson too.

We just finished reading Un Lun Dun and it was absolutely awesome for them. They're both super bummed that there aren't any more in the series, but it was the perfect mix of humor, horror and underdog winning. 

Archived