Penny Dreadful : City of Angels

The Unborn

Nope, this is not a bad joke. Showtime just announced Penny Dreadful : City of Angels, some sort of follow up series taking place in 1938 in Los Angeles. The show has been created by John Logan who was behind the original Penny Dreadful.

In recently speaking about the upcoming series, Logan said in a statement, “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will have a social consciousness and historical awareness that we chose not to explore in the Penny Dreadful London storylines,” Logan revealed. “We will now be grappling with specific historical and real world political, religious, social and racial issues. In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same. There are no easy answers. There are only powerful questions and arresting moral challenges. As always in the world of Penny Dreadful, there are no heroes or villains in this world, only protagonists and antagonists; complicated and conflicted characters living on the fulcrum of moral choice.”

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/showtime-announces-penny-dreadful-city-of-angles-follow-up-series

I LOVED Penny Dreadful and I don't know what to think of this. 

Heard rumors about this last week, and it was indicated at the time that one reason season 3 wrapped so hastily was that Eva Green wanted out of the production. That was the rumor, in any case, but I admit, I never heard of it prior to last week, so I don't know what to make of it.

In any case, yes, this is late for the "penny dreadful" era, but it's right at the peak (and beginning decline) of the pulp magazines like Weird Tales (filled with Lovecraft and Lovecraft acolytes).

What I could see quite easily is doing something that maybe ties into the original by bringing back a character or two (the Creature could be functionally immortal, and Rory Kinear was fantastic, and I believe Dorian Gray was still alive at the end of the show) and then diving into the pulps within the frame of 1930s L.A. Mexican brujería, ancient Aztec demons that might be Lovecraftian eldritch horrors, supernatural mysteries in Chinatown, etc. Primary figures could include your standard hard-boiled detective with a dark past (and maybe some supernatural secret, such as being a werewolf, which would be a funny mash-up of two Jack Nicholson roles). It'd be fun if they even dove into the beginnings of the comic book era, with some sort of Shadow-like vigilante hero...

I don't know. Sounds like it has a lot of possibilities. Logan is a very uneven talent, it seems to me, but he certainly has some very inspired ideas.

I can't help but think of James Ellroy novels whenever 1930s LA comes up. So, what supernatural forces are running the LAPD or Mickey Cohen's criminal underworld? Could be interesting, but it won't be Penny Dreadful without Eva Green.

53 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I can't help but think of James Ellroy novels whenever 1930s LA comes up. So, what supernatural forces are running the LAPD or Mickey Cohen's criminal underworld? Could be interesting, but it won't be Penny Dreadful without Eva Green.

This. She was the main reason I watched it. 

Because this is Showtime, I will have very low expectations... I'll watch, and I'n sure that in the beginning it'll be decent... but that network is a hot mess... so many of their shows go waaaaaaay too long... dexter went 4 seasons too long... as has Homeland (the writing is abysmal)... Ray Donovan is a shit show tat should have ended 4 seasons ago... 

.... and the best thing they had going --Penny Dreadful-- they ended suddenly/prematurely, leaving storylines open.... so I'll watch, but I'd be surprised if --upon the finale-- we here in this forum will lament how terrific it was... 

Nobody’s tagged me. Disappointment abounds.

Interesting, and I will likely give it a go at least. The name seems more like an attempt to use the goodwill of existing fans than any connection but who knows?

agreed that Eva Green was the heart of PD

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Heard rumors about this last week, and it was indicated at the time that one reason season 3 wrapped so hastily was that Eva Green wanted out of the production. That was the rumor, in any case, but I admit, I never heard of it prior to last week, so I don't know what to make of it.

It's possible, but I still believe Showtime decided to cancel the show while they were filming the third season because of poor ratings. They gave Logan just enough time to put together an ending but not enough to rework the whole season.

Anyway it makes more sense for me. If Eva really wanted to leave production, I'm sure they could've follow their original plans, whatever they were, and maybe bring her back for 2 or 3 episodes for a shorter season 4.

29 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

It's possible, but I still believe Showtime decided to cancel the show while they were filming the third season because of poor ratings. They gave Logan just enough time to put together an ending but not enough to rework the whole season.

Anyway it makes more sense for me. If Eva really wanted to leave production, I'm sure they could've follow their original plans, whatever they were, and maybe bring her back for 2 or 3 episodes for a shorter season 4.

Yeah that’s my take too. Logan’s originally planned for three seasons iirc. I think the story and ideas then grew I never the telling so he added more stuff in (new characters, plots etc). Then poor ratings lend to Showtime pulling the plug and he had to scramble to reach a semi-satisfactory ending. Which he did imo; the ending works, it just feels like there’s was a chunk of the series missing before that ending. 

Certainly nothing I’ve seen .org heard to indicate Green wanted out. 

I agree, Showtime pulled the plug due to ratings, the third season, clearly something was 'off' like bringing in the awesome Jekyll/Hyde only to never do anything w/him [tragic!], and yes, they did a decent job w/the ending, but it was much too abrupt to have 'always been planned' that way, IMO. I will never understand how this show never found an audience, A-list actors, writing, production values and a built in audience always looking for good horror stuff. 

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Nobody’s tagged me. Disappointment abounds.

LOL.

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The name seems more like an attempt to use the goodwill of existing fans than any connection but who knows?

Confused to what you mean by this?  The article in the OP states Logan will write and EP the show, which I'm assuming means he'll be showrunner, right?  So I'm not sure it's fair to say they're "using" his name.  I suppose Logan may be using the Penny Dreadful title, but I think he's entitled to that, and I'd be excited for any upcoming show he's running regardless of title.

18 hours ago, Astromech said:

This was the first thing I thought about when I heard this.  Very exciting possibilities.  

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree, Showtime pulled the plug due to ratings, the third season, clearly something was 'off' like bringing in the awesome Jekyll/Hyde only to never do anything w/him [tragic!], and yes, they did a decent job w/the ending, but it was much too abrupt to have 'always been planned' that way, IMO. I will never understand how this show never found an audience, A-list actors, writing, production values and a built in audience always looking for good horror stuff. 

I agree that the show was likely cancelled due to ratings however this show being greenlit would point otherwise.  Why would they greenlit a sequel show to a show with garbo ratings if only to get worse ratings from it?

6 hours ago, DMC said:

LOL.

Confused to what you mean by this?  The article in the OP states Logan will write and EP the show, which I'm assuming means he'll be showrunner, right?  So I'm not sure it's fair to say they're "using" his name.  I suppose Logan may be using the Penny Dreadful title, but I think he's entitled to that, and I'd be excited for any upcoming show he's running regardless of title.

Oh yeah, perfectly entitled to, I just meant it’s not so much a ‘sequel’ but the name will still bring in fans of the Victorian-era Penny Dreadful series. Wasn’t exactly criticising, though I suspect more than a few casual fans will expect a connection based on the name

Archived