Penny Dreadful : City of Angels

The Unborn

On Thursday, November 01, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Slurktan said:

I absolutely adore Penny Dreadful.  I also loved the League of Extrordinary Gentlemen in comic form before that.  If this is another thing of that sort I'm all in.

I liked the idea of both but they kinda fell flat for me. Penny dreadful was dreadfully slow and dull unfortunatwly.

• 3 months later...

Casting news.

When Penny Dreadful was first announced, the mistaken hype (that attracted me) was that it would be some sort of anthology show.  Perhaps there will be many Penny Dreadfuls set in different cities around the world eventually, just multiple season in each location instead of only one season per set.  In effect, an anthology.  (The Terror could have fit right in, I think)

31 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I hope this is good.  I haven't been following much about it, is there any chance that the immortals from the tragically under-rated, under-watched Penny Dreadful might do cameos?  Like Dorian Grey or Mr. Clare? 

I think John Clare is confirmed to be appearing in some way

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I'm quite intrigued by what Logan had to say about delving into Mexican-American folklore. Based on the setting and Logan also mentioning social and racial issues, I can't help but imagining some sort of James Ellroy supernatural thriller. 

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

That's cool, I like Dormer.  And she's the first casting announcement I've actually heard of.  Saw this looking into it:

According to Deadline, Dormer will play a woman named Magda, a demon who can assume the appearance of whomever she so chooses, and has appeared throughout history in several different guises and manifests in a number of forms throughout the story.

Alrighty then, sounds appropriately Penny Dreadful-y.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think John Clare is confirmed to be appearing in some way

Has it been confirmed?  I can't find any confirmation in a quick search.  I really hope so, such a great character and I think there's clearly more story to explore.

ETA:  Nevermind, I should have looked harder.  Just found this, although I can't vouch for the source.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's cool, I like Dormer.  And she's the first casting announcement I've actually heard of.  Saw this looking into it:

Alrighty then, sounds appropriately Penny Dreadful-y.

Has it been confirmed?  I can't find any confirmation in a quick search.  I really hope so, such a great character and I think there's clearly more story to explore.

ETA:  Nevermind, I should have looked harder.  Just found this, although I can't vouch for the source.

I thought it was confirmed but seems to be just rumours for now

• 3 weeks later...

Kinnear is now confirmed to return. Little uncertain though whether he is still the Creature and this is just his new name,or if it is an entirely new character. Sounds like the latter as he is referred to as German;

"He will return... Rory Kinnear joins the cast of the highly-anticipated Showtime Networks series, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. 

He will play Dr. Peter Craft, a German pediatrician and head of German-American Bund, an organization he hopes will keep the US isolated from the threat of war in Europe."

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Kinnear is now confirmed to return. Little uncertain though whether he is still the Creature and this is just his new name,or if it is an entirely new character. Sounds like the latter as he is referred to as German;

"He will return... Rory Kinnear joins the cast of the highly-anticipated Showtime Networks series, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels. 

He will play Dr. Peter Craft, a German pediatrician and head of German-American Bund, an organization he hopes will keep the US isolated from the threat of war in Europe."

I think it would kind of suck if he's a totally different character, not just the same person who has now a different name and identity.  Why bother even calling it Penny Dreadful if it has nothing to do with the original series??  

Also, I have to wonder if this is really 'highly anticipated' LOL, since the original had such a small audience.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

There's a lot more to explore with John Clare as a character.  I'd be very disappointed if they didn't eventually get back to that.  That being said, clearly that doesn't mean Kinnear can't play another character as well, that's already been demonstrated within the original series -- and may be a way of masking Clare's return publicly.

16 hours ago, DMC said:

There's a lot more to explore with John Clare as a character.  I'd be very disappointed if they didn't eventually get back to that.  That being said, clearly that doesn't mean Kinnear can't play another character as well, that's already been demonstrated within the original series -- and may be a way of masking Clare's return publicly.

There was a lot to explore with everything in the show... they left the entire "Lyle/Mummy" storyline open ended... and they wrapped up the entire show quasi-nonsensically.... Dracula Wins!....  it's amazing what a dumpster fire Showtime is.... They go way too long with most of their shows --Dexter, Homeland, Ray Donovan, Shameless-- and they couldn;t figure out a way to give Penny Dreadful another season to wrap up properly.... which is why I have little faith in the reboot... I'm sure it will start out wonderfully, and eventually become a parody of itself.... 

.... I shudder to think of how they'll ruin The Chi

47 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

There was a lot to explore with everything in the show... they left the entire "Lyle/Mummy" storyline open ended... and they wrapped up the entire show quasi-nonsensically.... Dracula Wins!....  it's amazing what a dumpster fire Showtime is.... They go way too long with most of their shows --Dexter, Homeland, Ray Donovan, Shameless-- and they couldn;t figure out a way to give Penny Dreadful another season to wrap up properly.... which is why I have little faith in the reboot... I'm sure it will start out wonderfully, and eventually become a parody of itself.... 

Dracula definitely did not win.  And I'm not sure we can pin the show ending early on Showtime.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Dracula definitely did not win.  And I'm not sure we can pin the show ending early on Showtime.

Who can we pin it on then, if not Showtime?  Eva Green?  It seemed pretty obvious, despite what the showrunner said, that the last season was a bit of a crock up of an ending, introducing Jeykll with no payoff outside a one liner, never getting to the mummy, never getting Brona/Lily back in front of Mr. Chandler and so on. 

28 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Who can we pin it on then, if not Showtime?  Eva Green?

Yes.  I think she wanted to leave, which meant Logan wanted to resolve her character, which meant he wanted to end the show - at least such as it was, luckily not entirely as we've seen.  I don't really have anything to back that up, but that's the read I got from how jumbled the ending was.  I think if it was Showtime's doing Logan would have been better prepared -- in fact I'd argue both Showtime and Logan introduced Jeykll because they were under the assumption they had more time to work with.

I believe Logan when he said he always had a three season plan. Somewhere along the line though he got new ideas/the story grew in the telling and he decided to go a bit further. But Showtime, due to the poor audience numbers etc. decided nah we dont want another season, give him the three he pitched and cut

Archived