Lightbringer Quick and Dirty

chrisdaw

Here is how Lightbringer will be forged.

"A hundred days and a hundred nights he labored on the third blade, and as it glowed white-hot in the sacred fires, he summoned his wife. 'Nissa Nissa,' he said to her, for that was her name, 'bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.' She did this thing, why I cannot say, and Azor Ahai thrust the smoking sword through her living heart. It is said that her cry of anguish and ecstasy left a crack across the face of the moon, but her blood and her soul and her strength and her courage all went into the steel. Such is the tale of the forging of Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

Lightbringer is a sword in which blood and a soul went into to make it burn. Now whose blood and soul might set a sword on fire? Obviously the girl who spent a night in a fire and came out unscarred, birthed three dragons, bonded with and so rides a dragon and whose mantra is fire and blood.

And there's actually a scientific magical explanation for it. Rhaego's soul went to fire in her womb, a mother and child in the womb share the same blood, so she has fire blood. Dragon blood.

She could feel the heat inside her, a terrible burning in her womb. Her son was tall and proud, with Drogo's copper skin and her own silver-gold hair, violet eyes shaped like almonds. And he smiled for her and began to lift his hand toward hers, but when he opened his mouth the fire poured out. She saw his heart burning through his chest, and in an instant he was gone, consumed like a moth by a candle, turned to ash. She wept for her child, the promise of a sweet mouth on her breast, but her tears turned to steam as they touched her skin.

Yet that night she dreamt of one. Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. "You woke the dragon," he screamed as he kicked her. "You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon." Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. As if in answer, there was a hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found hers, she woke, shaking and covered with a fine sheen of sweat. She had never been so afraid …

Really what happens is (part or all of) Rhaego's soul goes into the dragon (still in its egg at this stage) and (some or all of) the dragon's soul goes into baby Rhaego's body inside mother Targaryen, and thus she gets some dragon blood. Extra detail, not so important.

So Dany is Nissa Nissa. She will be killed by a sword and part of her fiery blood and soul will go into that sword and cause that sword to take flame, Lightbringer.

She is the monster.

Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame.

Note the similarities between that passage and Dany's own dream.

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

As she says.

Mother of dragons, Daenerys thought. Mother of monsters. What have I unleashed upon the world? A queen I am, but my throne is made of burned bones, and it rests on quicksand. Without dragons, how could she hope to hold Meereen, much less win back Westeros? I am the blood of the dragon, she thought. If they are monsters, so am I.

What have I done? she thought, huddled in her empty bed. I have waited so long for him to come back, and I send him away. "He would make a monster of me," she whispered, "a butcher queen." But then she thought of Drogon far away, and the dragons in the pit. There is blood on my hands too, and on my heart. We are not so different, Daario and I. We are both monsters.

And why is she the monster? The blood on her hands, her dragons.

The king can be harsh and unforgiving, aye, but a babe still on the breast? Only a monster would give a living child to the flames.

And how she birthed her dragons, because she gave her child to the flames.

Ser Jorah had killed her son, Dany knew. He had done what he did for love and loyalty, yet he had carried her into a place no living man should go and fed her baby to the darkness. He knew it too; the grey face, the hollow eyes, the limp. "The shadows have touched you too, Ser Jorah," she told him. The knight made no reply. Dany turned to the godswife. "You warned me that only death could pay for life. I thought you meant the horse."

"No," Mirri Maz Duur said. "That was a lie you told yourself. You knew the price."

Had she? Had she? If I look back I am lost. "The price was paid," Dany said.

Jon will kill Dany with a sword and part of her soul will go into the sword and it will become Lightbringer and begin flaming.

Jorah means "to rain" (and comes from Yarikh the Canaanite moon god) and Mormonta is the name of a biblical comet.  So, on a mythical astronomy level, if Dany is the moon, Jorah is the comet that rains on her.  If the comet is the Red Sword of Heroes, that would make Jorah himself Lightbringer.

I sorta think Dany will become a tyrant and Jorah will have to kill his beloved.

7 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Jorah means "to rain" (and comes from Yarikh the Canaanite moon god) and Mormonta is the name of a biblical comet.  So, on a mythical astronomy level, if Dany is the moon, Jorah is the comet that rains on her.  If the comet is the Red Sword of Heroes, that would make Jorah himself Lightbringer.

I sorta think Dany will become a tyrant and Jorah will have to kill his beloved.

Comets don't rain.  But humans do and that image of Jorah "raining" on Dany will be difficult to shake off. 

Also,  I'd give Azor not the best performance review.  Or else why is this era having to resweep the floor again.   Because Azor didn't get it sparkling clean!   Maybe this time we go a different way and Nissa has Azor arrested for trying to imprison her in a freaking sword because that's insulting to receive that kind of treatment from someone.   

I like the Khal as this time's Nissa too.    Marwyn & Mirri already saw to it that the lightbringer legend's instructions were followed by them to bring back a flaming sword of legendary potency.  .... well knowing Danny the dragons will be used by Euron to melt the Wall and then they really will be part of the problem.   But for the now, lightbringer: check.

Oh, and at least try putting Cersei in the sword first before Stormy buddy.

Archived