Watership Down 2018

Mosi Mynn

Pictures from the BBC/Netflix mini series to be shown at Christmas https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-11-01/watership-down-rabbits-get-3d-makeover-in-first-images-from-the-bbcs-ambitious-christmas-animation/

My first thoughts is that they don't look much like real rabbits!  But maybe they will when they're moving.

Bigwig's topknot is too wispy and scraggly - I liked the cartoon version.

The 3Dness of it makes me very nervous about the violence - although I've heard they've toned down the violence from the book, which makes me very nervous for the storytelling.

The cast is just totally amazing.  And Peter Capaldi is Kehaar!!

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fucking female rabbits, that changes the whole bastard story. 

Wasn’t a major plot point trying to find female rabbits to start a warren with?

20 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

It was THE plot driver, rather than just "a major plot point"

That was how I remembered it... but thought maybe there was more that I was forgetting.  So yeah... I'm not in favor of that.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Fucking female rabbits, that changes the whole bastard story. 

To be fair, Clover was always female.  If they keep her story the same then that changes nothing.  If she leaves Sandleford with Hazel et al - yeah, that's weird and unnecessary.

I can sort of see how Strawberry can work as a female.  She will presumably be mourning Nildro-hain after the snares and won't be up for any shenanigans with the boys.  Plus, Olivia Coleman - so that's a win! 

Who the hell are Nettles, Sergeant Sainfoin, Captain Orchis and Dewdrop????

Rosamund Pike as the Black Rabbit is intriguing ...

Who the hell are Nettles, Sergeant Sainfoin, Captain Orchis and Dewdrop????

Answering my own question: these could appear in El-ahrairah's stories, I guess.  But I don't like that I don't recognise the names!

The cast is jaw dropping. The CGI I think will help me come to terms with this being a different adaptation and separate it from the movie. Also the CGI might work in making woundwort scarier as there's something a bit lifeless about the CGI.

Having female rabbits in the original group will only work if there's less than 2 of them. More than that and it does make the plot hard to justify in their attempts to find breeding partners. The show would just be about them starting a new group otherwise.

It must have been a while since I read the book as I initially thought the black rabbit and el ahriah were one and the same.

I'd have thought the new characters with their military ranks were going to be efrafa? I can't remember if other warrens used official ranks. But they'd fit in with general woundwort.

Glad this is out over xmas

30 minutes ago, red snow said:

It must have been a while since I read the book as I initially thought the black rabbit and el ahriah were one and the same.

Two sides of the same coin, I think.  El-ahrairah is their Trickster God whose bottom was blessed by Frith - he's the Prince With A Thousand Enemies.  The Black Rabbit is a very sinister Grim Reaper fella.

I'd have thought the new characters with their military ranks were going to be efrafa? I can't remember if other warrens used official ranks. But they'd fit in with general woundwort.

Yeah, I guess they will probably be Efrafans.  But what was wrong with Captain Chervil and Vervain???

16 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Two sides of the same coin, I think.  El-ahrairah is their Trickster God whose bottom was blessed by Frith - he's the Prince With A Thousand Enemies.  The Black Rabbit is a very sinister Grim Reaper fella.

Yeah, I guess they will probably be Efrafans.  But what was wrong with Captain Chervil and Vervain???

That jogs my memory.guess they are the two main deities in the rabbit world.

Maybe kids aren't as down with chervil and vervain as they are with these hip new flowers/roots/herbs? Or they have additional characters.

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

It was THE plot driver, rather than just "a major plot point"

Hardly. It doesn't even occur to them that they're lacking females till after they reach Watership Down, half way through the book. And the second half is mostly about the conflict with Efrafa, which they could easily find a new pretext for.

9 minutes ago, felice said:

Hardly. It doesn't even occur to them that they're lacking females till after they reach Watership Down, half way through the book. And the second half is mostly about the conflict with Efrafa, which they could easily find a new pretext for.

it would still require a bit of juggling to explain why they risk going to the farm unless they frame it as a liberation mission which is a bit more wholesome than wanting breeding partners. Similarly they'd have to alter the efrafa as them being found by efrafan scouts but even then it becomes tricky to explain why bigwig would go undercover in that case. It would have to be more more that the rabbit who escapes (who was originally from their warren - I can't remember his name) was actually one of several original warren inhabitants who were captured by woundwort. And again the watership down crowd go on a rescue mission that's not driven solely by finding breeding partners. So it's not impossible but requires a little more work.

I wonder how they'll split the two episodes? I'm guessing the first one could cover everything up to them reaching watership down? Maybe end with the shooting? The second half could easily cover efrafa.

2 hours ago, felice said:

It would require a huge re-writing of the plot, as red snow says.

Hazel and the others don't think of does much before Watership Down because they are travelling in all that time.  When they think they are going to settle in Cowslip's warren they do think of does and starting families.  Fiver and Hazel then lead them to the Downs, and they don't feel safe and settled  until they are on Watership.  Pretty much as soon as they are settled their thoughts turn to how they are going to keep their warren going - and, oops, they need some does for that!

2 hours ago, red snow said:

it would still require a bit of juggling to explain why they risk going to the farm unless they frame it as a liberation mission which is a bit more wholesome than wanting breeding partners. Similarly they'd have to alter the efrafa as them being found by efrafan scouts but even then it becomes tricky to explain why bigwig would go undercover in that case. It would have to be more more that the rabbit who escapes (who was originally from their warren - I can't remember his name) was actually one of several original warren inhabitants who were captured by woundwort. And again the watership down crowd go on a rescue mission that's not driven solely by finding breeding partners. So it's not impossible but requires a little more work.

I wonder how they'll split the two episodes? I'm guessing the first one could cover everything up to them reaching watership down? Maybe end with the shooting? The second half could easily cover efrafa.

I love Bigwig's undercover chapters in Efrafa - they're still tense every time I read them.  And they lead up to the fight between Bigwig and Woundwort at the end.  I wonder how graphic that will be.

Blackavar is the rabbit that tries to escape Efrafa, and gets his ears ripped up when he's caught.  He, Hyzenthlay and some other does ask Woundwort and his Council if they can leave before they know anything about Hazel, Bigwig and Watership Down.

I think they can do the two halves of the story a couple of ways.  They can go for a straight adaptation like the film did, so we don't learn about Efrafa until Kehaar finds it.  Or we can have parallel stories - following Hazel and his group, and also getting an insight to Woundwort and Efrafa at the same time, knowing that that is what our hero-bunnies are eventually going to have to confront.  I favour the former.

6 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've not seen much about this, but I have a friend who worked on it so I'll be interested to see it.

It's never going to be as brutal and scary as the original though, is it.

They've already made a point of saying it won't. But if water ship down and animals of farthing wood taught me anything it's that kid's shows can be brutal when featuring animated animals.

Mosi mynn. I didn't mean blackavar, I meant the one who was from the original Warren and tells the main gang the horrible fate of the original Warren and hints at efrafa. Ok, I looked him up and it was captain Holly. Which also shows some of the new characters could be from non efrafan warrens as it seems owslas all have ranks (or at least the two featured in the story). So there could be a scenario where Holly's group were captured by efrafa and watership down go on a rescue mission.

I like Holly - he has a good story in the book.

In the film they did a version of what you suggest. Poor Holly went from Sandleford via Efrafa to Watership Down! 

In the book after Kehaar finds Efrafa, Holly, Strawberry, Buckthorn and Silver are sent to ask if some does would like to come to Watership Down.  They manage to escape (without any does), but I guess they could change it so that they have to be rescued.

Such high expectations for this. 

Really, if they get the thematic tone of it wrong, it's going to be horrible. My heart will be crushed. 

Is Strawberry a replacement for Blackberry, the bunny who was slightly clever, enough so to realise that wood floats? 

10 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've not seen much about this, but I have a friend who worked on it so I'll be interested to see it.

It's never going to be as brutal and scary as the original though, is it.

Stuff of night,ares (but I really love it!)

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I am very much looking forward to recording this on Xmas day for boxing day night, boxing day is normally the worst day of the year. 

My plans too! First Christmas and boxing’s day I haven’t worked in 3 years, I intend Tovar’s enjoy

Archived