Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mosi Mynn

Watership Down 2018

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've not seen much about this, but I have a friend who worked on it so I'll be interested to see it.

It's never going to be as brutal and scary as the original though, is it.

Stuff of night,ares (but I really love it!)

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I am very much looking forward to recording this on Xmas day for boxing day night, boxing day is normally the worst day of the year. 

My plans too! First Christmas and boxing’s day I haven’t worked in 3 years, I intend Tovar’s enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Isis said:

Such high expectations for this. 

Really, if they get the thematic tone of it wrong, it's going to be horrible. My heart will be crushed. 

Is Strawberry a replacement for Blackberry, the bunny who was slightly clever, enough so to realise that wood floats? 

Both are cast. Miles Jupp is Blackberry, Coleman is Strawberry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Both are cast. Miles Jupp is Blackberry, Coleman is Strawberry.

Blackberry is great, that rabbit will lead the cultural and scientific Revolution if rabbit kind! Miles Jupp is actually a good fit for the character as he has an unassuming authority about his voice in that he can be assertive in a friendly way.

I'm reminded of the great discussion on the re-read on how Hazel is surrounded by rabbits that are better at any one given thing. His real talent is in using the talent of others and somehow convincing them to follow him. I still love the part where the efrafan's cringe at the thought of the rabbit who can command Bigwig's devotion.

I read a funny article jokingly claiming the new show could be the opportunity to harden the "snowflake" generation :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm reminded of the great discussion on the re-read on how Hazel is surrounded by rabbits that are better at any one given thing. His real talent is in using the talent of others and somehow convincing them to follow him.

Yes exactly!

One of the great things about Watership Down is its studies in leadership - from the Threarah's patriachy to whatever warped sacrificial communism Cowslip was up to, to Woundwort's oppressive might-is-right dictatorship.  And then there's Hazel - not the fastest or most eloquent, never actually fights anyone, not the cleverest or the strongest, and is lame by the end.  But he values everyone (and everyone knows that), and he brings out the best in those around him, and he's willing to sacrifice himself for his friends and his warren: a true Chief Rabbit.

Quote

I still love the part where the efrafan's cringe at the thought of the rabbit who can command Bigwig's devotion.

This is one of my favourite bits in any book (and it wasn't in the film!).  Bigwig finally calling Hazel his Chief Rabbit (though he had accepted him as leader long before).  Woundwort freaking out at the thought of a rabbit bigger and fiercer than Bigwig (who had just beaten him, and Woundwort knew that), because the Efrafans can't imagine a leader being anything but the biggest, most ferocious bully - it would never occur to Woundwort that the lame rabbit who came to  him before the fight to talk about peace was Bigwig's Chief.  Such a wonderful moment in the story.

Edited by Mosi Mynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, red snow said:

 I still love the part where the efrafan's cringe at the thought of the rabbit who can command Bigwig's devotion.

 

9 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

This is one of my favourite bits in any book (and it wasn't in the film!).  Bigwig finally calling Hazel his Chief Rabbit (though he had accepted him as leader long before.  Woundwort freaking out at the thought of a rabbit bigger and fiercer than Bigwig (who had just beaten him, and Woundwort knew that), because the Efrafans can't imagine a leader being anything but the biggest, most ferocious bully - it would never occur to Woundwort that the lame rabbit who came to  him before the fight to talk about peace was Bigwig's Chief.  Such a wonderful moment in the story.

I have forgotten much of the book since I last read it over two decades ago, but yes this is the part that has stuck out to me all along.  Its a great moment in the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Isis said:

Such high expectations for this. 

Really, if they get the thematic tone of it wrong, it's going to be horrible. My heart will be crushed. 

Is Strawberry a replacement for Blackberry, the bunny who was slightly clever, enough so to realise that wood floats? 

Strawberry is the one who joins halfway through the journey, from the Warren with the snares where you don’t talk about rabbits who suddenly disappear 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mactwist2 said:

I've never seen the previous ones but intend to try this. Idk if that's a good idea.

The animated cartoon is amazing, watch it first. I want the new cgi one to be as good or better but can't imagine how it could be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The animated cartoon is amazing, watch it first. I want the new cgi one to be as good or better but can't imagine how it could be. 

Do you mean the film or the animated series?

The film is amazing - it captures the atmosphere of the book brilliantly, and it traumatised my generation!

This mini-series could improve upon it by including everything it missed it out - the inclusion of Clover at least suggests it will give the hutch rabbits their book story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend the film and then the book as both are excellent and the book provides more detail with extra scenes and a lot more rabbit legends.

There was an animated series 15 years ago but I never caught it or heard much about it suggesting it was probably just meh. There was also a sequel novel that I've never dared try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red snow said:

There was an animated series 15 years ago but I never caught it or heard much about it suggesting it was probably just meh. There was also a sequel novel that I've never dared try

Tales from Watership Down - it's definitely not as good as the original.  As the title implies, there's no over-arching story, just individual stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Tales from Watership Down - it's definitely not as good as the original.  As the title implies, there's no over-arching story, just individual stories.

So it's not a sequel either?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, red snow said:

So it's not a sequel either?

No sorry - it is a sequel. 

There are three parts to it: the first two are made up of folk stories, mainly about El-ahrairah, told by our bunnies.  The third part is more of a direct sequel, with stories about Watership Down and Efrafa, and the warren they set up between them.  There's a new antagonist - though nothing like Woundwort, and Hyzenthlay gets a lot the limelight.  There are quite a few new characters as well as the original crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A trailer  

 

For some reason I got quite emotional!

Lots of new bits.  But it does look awesome.

And Woundwort looks frickin' terrifying!

I think Watership Down is about to traumatise another generation ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mosi Mynn said:

A trailer  

 

For some reason I got quite emotional!

Lots of new bits.  But it does look awesome.

And Woundwort looks frickin' terrifying!

I think Watership Down is about to traumatise another generation ...

There's no doubting from the trailer the voice actors are going to nail this and the narration sent a little chill with "beast with a thousand enemies". The animation still looks a bit jerky/wooden in places to me which is slightly worrying because unless this trailer is using older footage it's not going to improve much in a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, red snow said:

It seems the critics echo my feelings regarding the animation in the trailer.

Yeah - it's a shame about the animation, as the cast is epic and I'm really looking forward to it!  Hopefully the animation won't get in the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×