Watership Down 2018

Mosi Mynn

Finally watched it. What a disappointment!

Whoever wrote the dialogue needs to be banned from writing dialogue ever again. 'Show, don't tell' is clearly lost on him. Tell the story and let the themes come to the viewer, don't have characters blurt out central themes within a quarter of the way in.

I actually shouted at the TV on several occasions, especially when Hazel steals Bigwig's agency from him in his big moment.

Their inventions definitely added too much humanlike features to the rabbits. Not in the spirit of the book at all!

FWIW it had moments I enjoyed, mostly because we were seeing elements of the book not included in the 1978 adaptation. I absolutely cannot forgive such terrible writing though. The inventions stick out a heck of a lot more than a sore thumb would.

11 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I actually shouted at the TV on several occasions, especially when Hazel steals Bigwig's agency from him in his big moment.

Me too!  I don't understand why they did that - it removes all the power and impact from that scene for every character involved.

50 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Could someone catch me up on what the agency-stealing moment is?  Something that's a deviation from the book and animated film?  

Hazel tells Bigwig what to say to Woundwort during the final defense of the warren. Presumably the idea is to make Hazel seem smarter, by predicting that Woundwort would assume Bigwig's chief rabbit must be even tougher, turning Bigwig's declaration of loyalty into a trick. It was a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

In the book does Bigwig actually refer to Hazel as his chief rabbit on his own?

Oh yes. "My Chief Rabbit has told me to defend this run and until he says otherwise I shall stay here."

Hazel's angsting over his Chief Rabbit status in this adaptation was weird, weak and whiny (Hazel - whiny - :bang:}.  Hazel is a natural leader, and grows into the role over the course of the story.  He's never worried about achieving or maintaining this status.

I've not read the book and have not seen the original adaptation.

I will see the older ( and excellent looking) adaptation soon. May even read the book because there is quite a lot packed into this BBC/Netflix adaptation that was really intriguing.

So with that preamble, let me say I thoroughly enjoyed this adaptation. I thought it was very, very good and fulfilled my expectations.

Very atmospheric. I loved some of the characters. I got used to the look of the animation ( only the animation on the rottweiler was weird to me, the rest was ok). Not knowing the story definitely gives one a totally different experience to having read the book, I know that from experience.

But voice acting and overall look of this one was very nice, great story. Now onwards to see the original film with that haunting music. I have a feeling it may be even better.

BTW on the Bigwig moment, I agree that if in the book it was his own idea, that is even better. But still he had his great moment in this adaptation as well, he actually fought Woundwort to a standstill.

I watched the first episode, didnt bother with the second and instead watched the original with my wife through Amazon prime.

I remember watching it when I was 5 or 6 and getting nightmares about the Black Rabbit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived