Biggest Mistake Made by Robb

Legitimate_Bastard

On 11/8/2018 at 12:23 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The price to cross was reasonable.  The Starks were asking the Freys to betray their king, a heinous act of rebellion. 

Robb's betrothal is easily the biggest diplomatic move at his disposal.  Using it at the first obstacle is very short sighted.  What is the downside of spending just one more day to come to an agreement that does not involve Robb's betrothal?  Riverrun was under seige and in no imminent danger.  That seige was definitely going to last another day and the attackers would likely have been caught unaware one day later.  I feel like Robb could have asked for one of his bannermen or two to step up and offer themselves or their children in place of Robb.  I think Walder would have gone along with this idea because marrying off his progeny seemed to take up a lot of his time and this offer would get rid of more of his offspring.

As far as asking Walder to betray his king, I disagree with your assessment.  This is a feudal society and that structure matters a lot.  Walder Frey owed his direct allegiance to the Tully's of Riverrun not the Iron Throne.  Hoster Tully did not rebel against the crown and was under seige by a Lannister army that began terrorizing his domain before King Robert was dead.  Walder Frey was honourbound to help his leige lord.  Robb was riding to the aid of his grandfather and Walder is that man's direct vassal.

On 11/9/2018 at 9:28 PM, Belgarad said:

Robb's betrothal is easily the biggest diplomatic move at his disposal.  Using it at the first obstacle is very short sighted.  What is the downside of spending just one more day to come to an agreement that does not involve Robb's betrothal?  Riverrun was under seige and in no imminent danger.  That seige was definitely going to last another day and the attackers would likely have been caught unaware one day later.  I feel like Robb could have asked for one of his bannermen or two to step up and offer themselves or their children in place of Robb.  I think Walder would have gone along with this idea because marrying off his progeny seemed to take up a lot of his time and this offer would get rid of more of his offspring.

That’s cause Robb probably wanted to marry a pretty lady, which most Freys are not. 

As for his biggest mistake, he crossed the Rubicon with accepting his Lords’ declaration of King in the North. That meant that nobody outside of the North and the Riverlands would support him, and gave Balon Greyjoy an idea...

Archived