US Politics: Four Days and Counting

Fragile Bird

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

True, and God only knows how Trump would behave while out of office (assuming he loses in 2020). Absent the prospects of facing jail time, I can't see him leaving the public scene nor can I see the media giving up on covering him all the time.

And that graph is interesting. Seems like everything on the right started going off the rails in the late 70's. I guess disco was just too much for them. 

He's going to be on the spotlight for years to come and likely star in the most successful reality TV show that takes place in prison ever.

35 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

In looking at some other story, I saw a report about the Beto O'Rourke tape from Veritas. Ooo-la-la, such a scandal. For anyone wanting to read about it without the right wing spin (or left, to be fair), it's here - from the Texas Tribune, ranked 'least biased' from my bias checker.

TL, DR - no laws were broken, the donations were from a local office for a local situation - not the caravan, donations to charities are permitted and not unusual.

So in other words, conservative snowflakes were blowing smoke up our asses - again.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

All that money really helped JEB!, didn't it?

It's quite possible that the future nominee will be more tolerable to country clubbers, but I would bet on him/her being one of them in the truest sense. As I said before, the country clubbers thought they ran the party and that the religious right and hard right wingers needed them. In 2016 the religious right and the hard right wingers woke up and realized they run the party now much to the dismay of the country clubbers. And as said above, they now have a choice, hold their noses and stay or leave the party. Some did leave, but most stayed because #taxcutsforthewealthy. 

Trump is THE country clubber par excellance and ALL of his rhetoric is standard inside the country club rhetoric said at one time or another by every single scum fuck that’s ever been a country clubber. I mean to think he is apart from them when he is their id and their mouth piece is more than a little insane you all.

Elite racism and sexism amongst rich friends is still racism and sexism and isn’t a fault nor even originating in the base necessarily as all journos  and college educated folks so direly seem to want to believe. Yer betters are actually your worsers, y’ll. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

True, and God only knows how Trump would behave while out of office (assuming he loses in 2020). Absent the prospects of facing jail time, I can't see him leaving the public scene nor can I see the media giving up on covering him all the time.

And that graph is interesting. Seems like everything on the right started going off the rails in the late 70's. I guess disco was just too much for them. 

A quick legislative fix, if dems get all three: a gag order that states for reasons of national security, any former president, veep and their staffs may not take any paid or unpaid position in any form of media distributed by any method throughout the universe that deals with domestic or foreign policy: for a period of five years after leaving office.  Call it the Presidential Privilege act, the PeePee act.

sure it’ll be tied up in court immediately, but that’s almost a bonus so long as it’s allowed to be in force during the court battle (for reasons of national security).

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump is now trying to say he never suggested that the US army shoot rock throwers. It’s the media that creates violence.

His actual words were that the army should treat rocks as rifles. ‘Oh no, I meant arrest and prosecute them.’ Right. That’s what he meant.

How are they going to do that when they're on Mexico's side of the border? 

He's such an ass.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I agree there's no reason to assume that the next standard bearer will be back to the old country club republicans, although I do think it's possible.  I expect the next Republican standard bearer will be strongly evangelical, since I expect evangelicals will blame Trump's failing policies on insufficient religion in America.  Hopefully it will be someone who is also competent and has some respect for American values, but I can't say I think it's likely.  I personally doubt it'll be Ted Cruz or Mike Pence, it'll probably be a guy with a relatively low profile at the moment (and it will of course be a man). 

And they will probably lose, especially if the young people turn out to vote. I think this country has finally had enough of that shit. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All that money really helped JEB!, didn't it?

It's quite possible that the future nominee will be more tolerable to country clubbers, but I would bet on him/her being one of them in the truest sense. As I said before, the country clubbers thought they ran the party and that the religious right and hard right wingers needed them. In 2016 the religious right and the hard right wingers woke up and realized they run the party now much to the dismay of the country clubbers. And as said above, they now have a choice, hold their noses and stay or leave the party. Some did leave, but most stayed because #taxcutsforthewealthy. 

The white supremacist movement is global, or least runs from Russia, Europe, the US and Brasil.  Not to mention associated allies in favor of autocrats and dictators and oligarachs such as Saudi and Philippines.  Dream on those of you who think it can all go back to political biz as usual of just doing polls and spending money on tv.  Not in this world of dwindling arable land and potable water, spiking high temperatures and other natural catastrophes and religious xenophobia.  At least not unless populations and their governments firmly unite and truly implement the massive changes necessary to stabilize all this, and where are you all seeing any indication this is happening or going to happen?  Maybe in small regions, globally speaking, like California and New York and Provence and Basque country, but generally speaking?  

Republicans are not giving up the support of oligarchy and autocracy, even if the country white shoe club wouldn't allow the ilk of the crass orange nazi to enter their pristine precincts. Thus Mar-a-Largo and his many golf courses, because he couldn't get to play on the elite courses.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What happened is that Nixon in company of ilks such as Cheney, got to together and drafted very specific plans to dismantle the FDR and LBJ policies. The first big step was removing the post office from the cabinet, because its workers and union were for decades reliably union, and diverse (because white people didn't want to go into black neighborhoods to deliver the mail, and it was a federal mandate that mail had to be delivered everywhere.  So, due to racism, with all the black postal workers, the post office was reliably Dem after FDR and Eleanor R, and then LBJ.  In any case whomever had the cabinet post office position was in possession of enormous number of patronage jobs, i.e. Dems.

This is known, and documented in many articles, studies, books and histories -- with very reliable sources, impeccably fact checked and cited -- which matters more all the time as the essential basis for judging anything, when any asshole can throw out anything and peas think this is proof of lies and fake news.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

I mean to think he is apart from them when he is their id and their mouth piece is more than a little insane you all.

No it's not.  Trump has been laughed at by the country club elite due to his ostentatious ways for most of his adult life.  He is the Tywin Lannister of being motivated by being laughed at - and not just by Obama and liberals.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

ALL of his rhetoric is standard inside the country club rhetoric said at one time or another by every single scum fuck that’s ever been a country clubber.

Well that's certainly true, but it doesn't mean just because you're a racist country clubber you agree with the same racist policies that Trump is either administering or promoting.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

No it's not.  Trump has been laughed at by the country club elite due to his ostentatious ways for most of his adult life.  He is the Tywin Lannister of being motivated by being laughed at - and not just by Obama and liberals.

Loki said he's the id and this is the reason I think that's pretty accurate. He has none of the class or taste that the truly elite are meant to have, so he gets laughed at. He thinks he's going to show them by showing off his wealth in garish displays like having his home made of gold, but that just makes them laugh more because your display of wealth is never meant to look like that's it's purpose. So he decided if he can't win the game of riches with money, he'd evaluate and win it with direct power rather than money as the stand in for power and in this he's actually managing to win.

So yeah, there are differences between them, but for the most part they're more of style than substance. Some of them still hang on to some sense of noblesse oblige and I'll concede there's more substantive differences there, I think mafia dons have more of that than him.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Loki said he's the id and this is the reason I think that's pretty accurate. He has none of the class or taste that the truly elite are meant to have, so he gets laughed at. He thinks he's going to show them by showing off his wealth in garish displays like having his home made of gold, but that just makes them laugh more because your display of wealth is never meant to look like that's it's purpose. So he decided if he can't win the game of riches with money, he'd evaluate and win it with direct power rather than money as the stand in for power and in this he's actually managing to win.

Yes, this is a further articulation of my point.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

So yeah, there are differences between them, but for the most part they're more of style than substance.

Disagree, the differences are manifest.  The country club elite have wanted immigration reform for well over a decade now.  Hell, they'd probably be cool with "amnesty" a la Reagan 86.  They would not have subjected refugees and/or their children to internment camps.  They would not have instituted the travel ban.  They would not have shat all over the TPP.  They would not have entered this foolish game with the North Koreans.  And they would most definitely have not simultaneously bent over and got on their knees to a common thug like Vladimir Putin.

No responses in 11 hours? Is this a record?

For something different to wrap your head around, the FDA just approved a new opioid 10x more powerful than Fentanyl.

Sufentanil, made by a company called AcelRX, will be sold under the name Dsuvia for a price between $50 and $60 per pill. The 30 microgram pills, to be placed under the tongue for rapid absorption, will deliver tha equivalent of 5 milligrams of intravenous morphine. It is authorized for use in health care settings and perhaps on the battlefield.

How long before it hits the streets and you see the first deaths? How long before it’s duplicated at $5 or $10 a pop?

You ain’t seen nothing yet, folks.

Archived