US Politics: Four Days and Counting

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Wethers said:

538 just increased Republican projected chances of winning House to 2 in 3.

Think you meant Democratic, not Republican. But still, its dropped again, to a 52.6% chance. It was over 90% like 30 minutes.

Getting way too many flashbacks to 2016 right now.

ETA: Nope. Turns out my computer was running slow on refreshing the page. Holy fuck.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Think you meant Democratic, not Republican. But still, its dropped again, to a 52.6% chance. It was over 90% like 30 minutes.

Now down to 39% for Dems. This is 2016 all over again.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Yeah Democratic.  Down to 40% now.

3 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Back to 4 in 7 for the Dems to win the House. Still to early really.

Weirdly their live chat isn't discussing it at all.

I wonder if they're having technical issues with the model.

ETA: Finally they speak:

You may have noticed that our real-time forecast has moved toward Republicans in the House. It’s being too aggressive, in my opinion. The model sees that a bunch of “likely Republican” districts (particularly in Florida) are now 100 percent likely to go red. But there hasn’t been the chance for Democrats to clinch many equivalent likely Democratic districts.

From 538:

8:27 PM

You may have noticed that our real-time forecast has moved toward Republicans in the House. It’s being too aggressive, in my opinion. The model sees that a bunch of “likely Republican” districts (particularly in Florida) are now 100 percent likely to go red. But there hasn’t been the chance for Democrats to clinch many equivalent likely Democratic districts.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Comment from one of their writers:

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Yeah I was thinking that. Maybe it's too sensitive to results from early counting?

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

*cough* Germany *cough*

Although, there the voting takes place on Sunday, not Tuesday for some weird historical reason.

Bah, voting on Sunday is totally different than voting on a weekday. 6:00 pm on a weekday means you had to vote in an advance poll or very early in the morning.

Voters File Emergency Lawsuit Seeking to Prevent Brian Kemp From Overseeing Georgia Election

https://slate.com/technology/2018/11/brian-kemp-secretary-state-governor-candidate-lawsuit.html

Two hours before the polls were set to close in Georgia, a group of voters in the state filed an emergency lawsuit seeking to prevent Secretary of State Brian Kemp from presiding over the statewide election in which he’s a candidate for governor. Kemp is facing off against Stacey Abrams, who, if she wins, would be the first black woman to serve as a governor in the U.S.

The five voters named as plaintiffs in the lawsuit want a restraining order that would bar Kemp from “being involved in the counting of votes, the certification of results, or any runoff or recount procedures,” according to a press release from Protect Democracy, the nonpartisan nonprofit representing the plaintiffs.

The emergency lawsuit is the latest chapter in a book full of troubling complications surrounding the election in Georgia. In Slate, legal scholar Richard L. Hasen wrote that Kemp’s multitasking of overseeing the state’s election while running for governor is “perhaps the most outrageous example of election administration partisanship in the modern era.”

The lawsuit hinges in part on Kemp’s decision this weekend to use his office as a platform to make unfounded accusations that the Georgia Democratic Party attempted to hack into the state’s voter registration system. On Saturday, a lawyer who represents election-security advocates told Kemp and the FBI of a potential flaw in the voter database that allowed anyone to access and edit supposedly private voter information. In response, Kemp announced his office would investigate the Democratic Party—without citing any evidence to support his claims that it had taken advantage of the vulnerability.

Kemp has also come under scrutiny for holding up more than 50,000 voter registrations, purging existing voter rolls, and rejecting absentee ballots due to signature mismatches. Slate’s Mark Joseph Stern wrote that Kemp has “devoted his time in office to a ruthless campaign of voter suppression.”

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is there a western democracy other than the USA that holds elections on a week day?

Canada. Every federal election people grumble about weekday voting and suggest it either be held on a weekend or a holiday be declared. Instead, there are lots of advance polling days.

I think people would bitch about an election ruining their weekend!

And our polls are open until 8:00 pm.

Archived