US Politics: Four Days and Counting

Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Nate Silver said ten minutes ago that Democrats are ahead narrowly in VA-7, but I can't find anything that agrees with that (I see it as still Brat +1.5).

Ok, it just updated.  That's irritating.  But good for our team!

VA-7 looks good given Chesterfield and Henrico are where the votes are left and they're both leaning Dem now. 

Just now, Triskele said:

If the Dems have a disappointing night overall but Beto beats Cruz is he not a shoe-in for running for POTUS and crushing everyone in the process?

Nah. He might not run for POTUS after 2 years in the Senate. Might aim to run in 2024 though.

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

If the Dems have a disappointing night overall but Beto beats Cruz is he not a shoe-in for running for POTUS and crushing everyone in the process?

I might almost consider it a victory, just to see Cruz go the fuck away.

An utterly horrible, pyrrhic victory, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Trump is mad at Paul Ryan about “everything," source says

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/election-day-2018/h_1f72d8a9a7f66b78de088810cf4c33a1

President Trump is already blaming House Speaker Paul Ryan for what the President’s team is expecting to be a bad night for the GOP in the House, two sources close to the White House said.

“He is really angry at Ryan," one source close to the White House said of Trump’s feelings about Ryan.
When asked about what, the source said, "everything."

Trump obviously didn’t like Ryan distancing himself from the President on immigration. But it goes beyond that. Other sources close to the White House say Trump and his team are disappointed in GOP congressional fundraising and are blaming tonight on that as well. 

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Conor Lamb re-elected.

That makes five flips (since he was running in a new district).

Also, weird stuff going on at Fox:

Its been on the TV channel too apparently (I don't watch).

I agree that it seems likely Democrats will take the House, but this seems like way too premature a call with so many districts still out.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Cruz now edging in front in Texas - I'm increasingly confident Beto won't win this.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sure, let's be irresponsible and assume hacking shenanigans!  It's fun?

It's a prediction, not an assumption. The problem is that we did almost nothing to secure the counties after 2016, and it was already a very difficult task. My suspicion is that the hacks occurred months ago, and unlike 2016 where part of the op was to be loud about it (but not actually do much damage) this time it's about changing some results. 

Keep in mind I have a bit of insider information, and I can tell you hacking ops haven't slowed down by the APTs one bit. 

3 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Cruz now edging in front in Texas - I'm increasingly confident Beto won't win this.

I never expected Beto to win, but his home district is in a different time zone from the rest of Texas.  I could see him have a late surge 

Just now, Triskele said:

Massachusetts and Maryland with Republican wins for governor.  Some blue wave we've got here.

Mass was never going to go dem. And that's probably fine. Maryland is weird though. 

Sadly Gillums loss means almost certainly an Abrams loss, and with the Ohio loss that's the big three gerrymandering cases that are firmly in the GOP bag. 

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Massachusetts and Maryland with Republican wins for governor.  Some blue wave we've got here.

Baker is the most popular governor in the US. He was always going to win, even if the Dems won 80% of the vote nationwide.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

My suspicion is that the hacks occurred months ago, and unlike 2016 where part of the op was to be loud about it (but not actually do much damage) this time it's about changing some results. 

Keep in mind I have a bit of insider information, and I can tell you hacking ops haven't slowed down by the APTs one bit. 

Ok.  Can I ask what your suspicions are based on?

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Those were givens.

2 minutes ago, S John said:

I never expected Beto to win, but his home district is in a different time zone from the rest of Texas.  I could see him have a late surge 

Good to know! Still watching it closely but nowhere near as hopeful as I was.

Just now, DMC said:

Ok.  Can I ask what your suspicions are based on?

Information from various IT heads I've talked with in the tech industry along with seeing previous patterns in places like the Ukraine. The first ops there were probes that were loud combined with a lot of social media. The next hacks were more about infrastructure damage and actual changing data. 

It also doesn't take much. A few thousand registration deletions in certain counties, a few breakdowns in counting machines. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

Information from various IT heads I've talked with in the tech industry along with seeing previous patterns in places like the Ukraine. The first ops there were probes that were loud combined with a lot of social media. The next hacks were more about infrastructure damage and actual changing data. 

It also doesn't take much. A few thousand registration deletions in certain counties, a few breakdowns in counting machines. 

Sounds ominous.

Archived