NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

On 12/31/2018 at 1:06 AM, SkynJay said:

There is no one I enjoy watching less than James Harden.  I hate everything about his game; not sure if I hate his 'gather step' or the way he jumps sideways into defenders worse.  Either rule should be changed with fines added as punishment.  

Yeah he's definitely one of my least favorite scorers too. his game is just so zzzzzzz, unless he does that sharp drive straight to the hoop and finishes with a one handed dunk. That's a good move. Otherwise, meh.

22 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

So, now the voting is open, any surprises expected for the all star game, or same old same old? 

Looking at last year's line up it is a bit sad that the West starting 5 won't even be a competition; slide Lebron into Cousin's spot and it is already done.  No need for a fan vote at all.  What is crazy to me is how little I expect the reserves to change in the West; I have a hard time seeing McCollum, Luka or Joker taking one of these spots (though I am really hoping to see Joker of course).

The East will be shook up quite a bit, though of course trades opened two spots from last year's roster.  Kawhi takes one, but I don't have a guess who takes the other.  And when it is time to pick reserves in the East it is open for some new blood; I see multiple injuries on last year's roster if nothing else.

So if I have to guess on the East's new starter... Simmons?  I think the hype machine can push him into that spot.  So one actual new starter on two squads once the pieces have been moved around. 

I'm really happy about Chicago moving Holiday and cutting Payne. We gotta get our kids playing better basketball together, and hopefully luck into one of the Duke wings or someone truly impactful; we seem further from a championship ever at the moment.

I enjoyed Holiday's game, I hope he gets some playoff minutes. I loathed Payne so, so much.

Tonight’s Houston/Golden State game has probably been the most entertaining and exciting game of the season.

As much I hate Harden’s style generally, you cannot deny the man’s talent, especially over this winning streak. Just sensational.

9 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

How in the mother of fuck did the refs not see that KD was out of bounds?

You can see the play here.  I think that is honestly the worst call I can remember in an NBA game.  This is worse than that time Lebron took seven steps and didn't get called for a travel.  He has three steps that are clearly, entirely out of bounds as he's going for a loose ball.  The loose ball thing is IMO the worst part, because he's obviously trying to keep the ball from going out of bounds.  What is the most important thing to be looking at in that situation?  The boundary.  What are the refs looking at if not that?  Was there a fight happening in the stands? 

The NBA should be thanking its lucky stars that the Rockets won that game, because this would be getting 10X the press if it decided the outcome. 

11 minutes ago, Trebla said:

I look forward to the headline a year from now "Jimmy Butler and Doc Rivers don't see eye to eye on his role with Clippers".

Yes... but the media loves the guy and just says he "has a chip on his shoulder" instead of the truth which is that he's a team cancer.

Butler is a snake. All the reports of being a locker room cancer seem to be true. A top 20 player who plays both ways should not find themselves on three different teams in the span of two years. And I'm guessing he'll be on a fourth next year. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

How the fuck do you get fired after a 22 point win?

He should have gotten fired last year, when it was apparent that his methods were totally not going to work. That team is a wreck, and he's mostly responsible. Getting fired after a win is ironic, but it's probably been in the works since the Butler thing, if not before. 

Watching this joke of a game.  Rockets have 23 free throws in the first half to five for the nuggets.  Twice they have jumped sidewise into defenders for three freebies.  I have watched almost every minute the nuggets have played this year but I may not finish this one. 

I repeat, the Rockets are painful to watch and about half of their game plan needs to be legislated out of the nba.

Archived