NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

On 1/22/2019 at 1:35 AM, BigFatCoward said:

When Klay gets hot, he gets really hot. 

Klay posts some of the funniest "unusual" stats I've ever seen. IIRC, when he scored 60 points, the ball was only in his hand for 90 seconds. He scored over 40 points in a game and dribbled the ball four times. Curry is the greatest shooter ever, but Klay might be the best catch and release shooter ever. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Harden is in the zone like a mother f'er. 

61 points on 25% shooting from three. I wonder where those points came from......

Jokes aside, how can he sustain this? He has to be a demigod every night for the Rockets to have a chance. I'd be worried he gets hurt at this rate.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Klay posts some of the funniest "unusual" stats I've ever seen. IIRC, when he scored 60 points, the ball was only in his hand for 90 seconds. He scored over 40 points in a game and dribbled the ball four times. Curry is the greatest shooter ever, but Klay might be the best catch and release shooter ever. 

61 points on 25% shooting from three. I wonder where those points came from......

Jokes aside, how can he sustain this? He has to be a demigod every night for the Rockets to have a chance. I'd be worried he gets hurt at this rate.

Or be burnt out when it counts. 

There are a lot of insane Harden numbers to pull out, but I’ll just drop this one to start: In the last 5 games, playing with basically a bench team, Harden is averaging about 44 ppg.

In those 5 games not one single point he’s scored was assisted. He created every single shot by himself.

He is literally taking the hardest shots in basketball, and making them, and he’s been doing it so consistently for so long it’s not something we can call a streak or a wave anymore. This is some version of who he is, pushed to an extreme by circumstance. Hopefully the load will lighten considerably when Paul comes back, and longer term Capella etc., but they have needed everything he’s been giving them. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought they could win like this playing without the guys they’re without and with the guys they’re with. Guys who are waived by other teams are getting 35 minutes/night walking in. 

I know you guys don’t like him aesthetically, but what he’s doing is insane, and pretty unprecedented in the modern era. Last night he had the first 60/15 night since prime Shaq, as a point guard. He’s scoring more points than the rest of his team on less than half the shots AND assisting on most of theirs. It’s just...it’s numbers that don’t make sense.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

There are a lot of insane Harden numbers to pull out, but I’ll just drop this one to start: In the last 5 games, playing with basically a bench team, Harden is averaging about 44 ppg.

In those 5 games not one single point he’s scored was assisted. He created every single shot by himself.

He is literally taking the hardest shots in basketball, and making them, and he’s been doing it so consistently for so long it’s not something we can call a streak or a wave anymore. This is some version of who he is, pushed to an extreme by circumstance. Hopefully the load will lighten considerably when Paul comes back, and longer term Capella etc., but they have needed everything he’s been giving them. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought they could win like this playing without the guys they’re without and with the guys they’re with. Guys who are waived by other teams are getting 35 minutes/night walking in. 

I know you guys don’t like him aesthetically, but what he’s doing is insane, and pretty unprecedented in the modern era. Last night he had the first 60/15 night since prime Shaq, as a point guard. He’s scoring more points than the rest of his team on less than half the shots AND assisting on most of theirs. It’s just...it’s numbers that don’t make sense.

I think Harden may be morphing into the greatest bad team/great stats guy.  The Rockets needed his 61 to beat one of the worst teams in the league.  Congrats Houston!  You are on your way!

6 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Harden and Westbrook were in the Pac-12 as freshman the same year, and they did quite well.  But I'll be damned if anyone said that they saw this coming in either case.  

By the way, what ever happened to OJ Mayo?  Pretty sure he was an immensely bigger recruit than either of these fools.  

Mayo got suspended from the league for cocaine use. He did not make it back after the suspension. 

9 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Harden and Westbrook were in the Pac-12 as freshman the same year, and they did quite well.  But I'll be damned if anyone said that they saw this coming in either case.  

By the way, what ever happened to OJ Mayo?  Pretty sure he was an immensely bigger recruit than either of these fools.  

I seriously underrated him coming out/early on. He’s the type I tend to miss on. 

To throw more numbers out there, the difference between Harden and the number 2 scorer in the league KD) is the difference between Durant and the 16th/or 17th best scorer in the league, depending which way you round. To put that into more perspective, MJ had that kind of gap in his rookie year and never again came close, with his next biggest margin being about 3.5 ppg.

20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

He was.  I remember thinking he could have the chance to be the next Penny when he came out of high school.

Not sure i can scream too loud at the starters.  I would have put AD above George personally.  And Olidipo/Walker may have been a debate but that hardly matters now.

It will be seeing who is left off the final list thay will be interesting.  There will be some really good players in the West who get left off.

13 hours ago, Tinker said:

Mayo got suspended from the league for cocaine use. He did not make it back after the suspension. 

He was also picked up by the Grizzlies on draft night, which has been a voodoo curse for every player in the history of the franchise except Pau Gasol, Mike Conley and maybe Jaren Jackson Jr, although it's really too early to tell with JJJ.

What a dumpster fire that organization has become in just a few short years. Absentee owner (who's also kind of an oddball, even for a pro sports owner), awful GM (bad trades, worthless draft picks, abysmal contracts), and shitty handling of coaches to boot. They recently said they're open to trading Mike and Marc, which is nice, but should've happened a couple of years ago while both had more tread on the tires. 

Yeah there's some guys playing fantastic ball this season.

Golden State is flying high again and look absolutely ubeatable by any team'.

Durant's great even though he looks to be coasting, taking it fairly easy. Thompson and Curry are on fire and Cousins is back..

Harden's been on a tear.

Giannis has been incredible and so has Joel Embidd, with some able help from Ben Simmons. 

Kahwi's played some superb games for Toronto.

Elsewhere, Anthony Davis is wasting another year at the Pelicans, who are now as good as out of the playoffs conversation.

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

Wow, AD requested a trade. Guess Lakers gonna kiss goodbye to Ball, Ingram, Hart, and some draft picks. 

NBA landscape is about to change, big time

Boston maybe? I read something about Kyrie having some designated player thing that makes it difficult for them though.

Also, I don't know if it is the coach, medical staff, players or just plain bad luck, but NO seems to have a lot of injury issues. I think it has been the case for several years now.

13 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Boston maybe? I read something about Kyrie having some designated player thing that makes it difficult for them though.

Also, I don't know if it is the coach, medical staff, players or just plain bad luck, but NO seems to have a lot of injury issues. I think it has been the case for several years now.

It can;t be boston until July, due to the Rose rule or whatever. I think Celtics would have to trade Kyrie first...

Correction - The Celtics would have to include Kyrie in the deal for AD. Don;t see why the Pels would want that tho

Yep, Boston would have to trade Kyrie before dealing for AD:

Both Davis and Irving signed their contract extensions under the “Rose Rule,” named after point guard Derrick Rose because he was the first player to sign such an extension. The “Rose Rule” allows certain players coming off their rookie-scale contracts to earn 30 percent of the salary cap as opposed to 25 percent. To be eligible, a player must have achieved one of three accolades during the first four seasons of his career: MVP award, Defensive Player of the Year award, or two All-NBA selections. (When Davis and Irving inked their extensions in 2015 and 2014, respectively, two All-Star starter nods was in place of DPOY.)

NBA teams cannot trade for more than one player who has signed an extension under the “Rose Rule” — a limitation that is only applicable when the players are still on their “Rose Rule” extensions. The Celtics acquired Irving via trade in August 2017, so they cannot deal for Davis — or any other player that has signed such an extension — until Irving leaves or agrees to a new deal. Irving will become an unrestricted free agent at the conclusion of this season and has expressed his intention to re-sign with the Celtics. The earliest he can do so is July 1, 2019.

After Irving’s future in Boston is established under a new contract — or after he signs with another team, an outcome that is still possible in spite of his vocalized plan — the Celtics will be unhampered to trade for Davis, who is scheduled to become a free agent in 2021. The only way they could trade for Davis before the February trade deadline this season is to include Irving in the deal.

52 minutes ago, Relic said:

https://tradenba.com/players?tid=20&tid=19

Never gonna happen, but man it would be sweet

I'm no trade expert but if not mistaken you just put in the entire Knicks roster into the trade machine for the entire Pels roster. Everything going ok there big guy? 

Archived