NBA 2018: Fear the Deer

Jaime L

Not related to the current discussion, but I remember years ago on this thread that when discussing Jordan vs anyone else, inevitably Scottie Pippen comes up, who was possibly the best possible running mate for someone like Jordan.  He was versatile - an excellent defender, a willing passer, capable of scoring off the dribble, but not reliant on it.

Now, the game has changed, and Pippin's limited range (he's a career 32% 3 point shooter) would be a problem in today's NBA.  But I was thinking about who would be the ideal Robin in the current game.  And to me the obvious choice is Klay Thompson.  Strong defender, excellent range, better without the ball than off the dribble.  And it works out great, because he has two #1 players on his team:rolleyes:

Ugh, I loathe the Warriors superteam.

12 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Hard caps just mean advertising/sponsors would be the only way to gain additional revenue, thus if anything maximizing the appeal of major markets. Especially in the NBA wherein an individual star is often more important to the team’s success than the rest combined (vs. average replacement distribution.) and therefore profile. 

That might have been true fifteen, twenty years ago, but in this day and age you can be in any city and get endorsements if you're talented and decent on camera.  LeBron never had any issues securing sponsorship deals in Cleveland.  Neither did Love or Irving, who got his own Nike shoe model while playing for the Cavs while they sucked.  This is the internet age.  You don't need to be in a big market to be a celebrity athlete.

47 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Not related to the current discussion, but I remember years ago on this thread that when discussing Jordan vs anyone else, inevitably Scottie Pippen comes up, who was possibly the best possible running mate for someone like Jordan.  He was versatile - an excellent defender, a willing passer, capable of scoring off the dribble, but not reliant on it.

Now, the game has changed, and Pippin's limited range (he's a career 32% 3 point shooter) would be a problem in today's NBA.  But I was thinking about who would be the ideal Robin in the current game.  And to me the obvious choice is Klay Thompson.  Strong defender, excellent range, better without the ball than off the dribble.  And it works out great, because he has two #1 players on his team:rolleyes:

You have to assume that yesteryear’s players would be much better three point shooters if they came up in today’s league. It’s what makes it so hard to compare teams from different eras (same goes for health, training, recovery etc.).

I mean, one year Magic won the title, he made as many threes as I have for my entire NBA career.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The Vegas thing.

Updated:

Updated odds for what team Anthony Davis will be on for the first game of the 2019-2020 NBA regular season (BetOnline):

Celtics +150
Raptors +300
Lakers +300
Pelicans +500
Knicks +1000
76ers +1200
Warriors +1600
Rockets +2000
Spurs +2500
Thunder +2500

1 hour ago, briantw said:

That might have been true fifteen, twenty years ago, but in this day and age you can be in any city and get endorsements if you're talented and decent on camera.  LeBron never had any issues securing sponsorship deals in Cleveland.  Neither did Love or Irving, who got his own Nike shoe model while playing for the Cavs while they sucked.  This is the internet age.  You don't need to be in a big market to be a celebrity athlete.

Where is LeBron playing?

I think it’s been mitigated some, but it’s still a big factor.

15 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Where is LeBron playing?

I think it’s been mitigated some, but it’s still a big factor.

Well yeah, it's always going to be a factor.  Most people would choose LA over Memphis, everything else being equal.  But the thing is, if you put in a hard cap, guys are going to go where they get paid the most rather than just pick a big market to team up in.  A single team won't be able to afford three star players, which means the stars will inevitably spread out.

As for LeBron, I think that was something of a unique scenario in that he's nearing the end of his playing career and thus is looking to lay the foundation for his post-NBA Hollywood career.   The two times he moved in his prime, he picked situation over location.  Granted, Miami was both, but LeBron wasn't going to go to Miami if Wade and Bosh weren't there.

The Lakers surely will do the smart thing offer here and offer a great package for Pelicans to get Davis.

Ball, Ingram, maybe have to throw in Kuzma as well if you really have to. Now's the time.

If Boston enters the race they could do a lot. But if this stuff is true about the Lakers being favoured..

Heard a crazy stat on the radio. In 2012, the Pelicans and Hornets (then Bobcats) had the top two picks in the draft. The Pelicans obviously drafted AD while the Hornets took Michael Kidd-Gilchrist second. Since then, the Hornets have a better overall record than the Pelicans. 

I'd say the only way to stop this kind of thing (requesting a trade and telling others there's only one team you will sign at) is to go full Joe Smith/Timberwolves on it.  Make it so he can't sign with the Lakers and they lose first round picks et al.  Do it for that every single time.

Glad to see Davis got fined for his agent trying to manipulate leverage in such a way.  I have no idea what specific rule (if any) that violates, but it should be illegal in some way.  Otherwise the credible commitment of contracts is inherently weakened.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Glad to see Davis got fined for his agent trying to manipulate leverage in such a way.  I have no idea what specific rule (if any) that violates, but it should be illegal in some way.  Otherwise the credible commitment of contracts is inherently weakened.

The fine was a joke, though.  $50,000 is .002% of his yearly income.  That's a $100 dollar fine for someone making fifty grand a year.  A slap on the fucking wrist at best, not an actual deterrent.  

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Sure.  Frankly surprised there was anything though.  It's the small victories!

Personally, I think fines for tampering should be 10% of your salary.  I bet we'd see a lot less of it if guys had to fork over millions if they got caught.  Teams should lose draft picks and get a massive fine as well, not the joke 500K fine the Lakers got.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

If it's 10% of the player's salary then that should be a commiserate with 10% of the offending teams' owner's annual revenue.  Which of course will never happen.

No doubt.  It's a nice thought, though.

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I think he is the ideal third option and just a very good second option. You probably need another player good with the ball as your second option, otherwise you would also need a team comprised of very well rounded players. Which is to say the Warriors before Durant. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You have to assume that yesteryear’s players would be much better three point shooters if they came up in today’s league. It’s what makes it so hard to compare teams from different eras (same goes for health, training, recovery etc.).

I mean, one year Magic won the title, he made as many threes as I have for my entire NBA career.

I'd change hard to futile and vain.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Heard a crazy stat on the radio. In 2012, the Pelicans and Hornets (then Bobcats) had the top two picks in the draft. The Pelicans obviously drafted AD while the Hornets took Michael Kidd-Gilchrist second. Since then, the Hornets have a better overall record than the Pelicans. 

I mentioned it before, but it seems that every year the Pelicans are heavily injured. That surely has to be a contributing factor.

It's not like the Hornets are that bad a team either, they usually more or less do well enough to be in position for the 8th seed. I guess they were as bad as the Bulls and Suns are now, but they have been pretty decent for awhile.

I don't get the outrage over Davis. Isn't it basically the same thing that Kawhi and Butler pulled? The only difference is that he has a safety net of a team wanting him, but really, at their levels, don't they all have that same safety net regardless? 

40 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't get the outrage over Davis. Isn't it basically the same thing that Kawhi and Butler pulled? The only difference is that he has a safety net of a team wanting him, but really, at their levels, don't they all have that same safety net regardless? 

The outrage is because Anthony Davis shares an agent with LeBron, and LeBron basically owns the agency.  It's pretty obvious they are trying to steer Davis to LA to bail out LeBron, because that team sucks.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

The outrage is because Anthony Davis shares an agent with LeBron, and LeBron basically owns the agency.  It's pretty obvious they are trying to steer Davis to LA to bail out LeBron, because that team sucks.

I get that, but star players basically have all the leverage anyway. Would it really make that much difference if we cut out the agent and LeBron gave Davis a phone call? 

17 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Would it really make that much difference if we cut out the agent and LeBron gave Davis a phone call? 

Well, that would be very clear tampering, and subject to penalty.  So, not sure how to answer that question.

Archived